Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

RandySavage

Can we agree though that John Williams' score was brilliant. The sound, proportion, and crescendo on the main theme was epic.
What was the name of the Rise of Skywalker track when Lando and The Resistors' fleet arrived during the finale? First time those famous fluttering (don't know the musical term) violins were heard outside of credits sequences and it was awesome...

The piece sounded like the bit at 2:15 above

TROR

Batman was dead at one time time too, then they found the right guy to breathe new life into it. The same will happen to Star Wars.
That’s a shame.

Also to everyone else: The Last Jedi is just a hair below Empire Strikes Back. Its portrayal of Luke is so brilliant and it develops Kylo and Rey in such a rich way. Snoke’s death makes perfect sense in the story of Kylo seeking power and Canto Bight really isn’t that bad. The Last Jedi will go down as one of the best Star Wars movies of all time.

BasiltheBatLord

I actually thought TFA was good. It was what was needed - to introduce the saga to a new generation and to re-connect with the fandom. I can armchair direct and produce and give my critique's (like everyone can) - but overall, Yeah, I can live with TFA and the way it set up VIII.

The true test was with VIII. And IMO it failed miserably. It didn't respect all that came before it. It tried to change the rules in a game that had been established 40 years prior. And here we are.
Yep I agree with all this. Episode 7 was actually done pretty well, it had some problems (re-hash of A New Hope and poor usage of characters being the main ones) but it was well-structured and paced and set the stage for the trilogy pretty well.

Then Rian Johnson went and kamikazed the plot line for some unknown reason and Abrams was called back in at the last minute to mop things up in as quick of a timeline as possible which resulted in an incredibly messy and confusing finale.

I think this trilogy is going to be studied in film history classes in the future as an odd/unique example of a film series being sabotaged from within and its attempts to fix itself immediately afterwards.

Tony Perkis

That’s a shame.

Also to everyone else: The Last Jedi is just a hair below Empire Strikes Back. Its portrayal of Luke is so brilliant and it develops Kylo and Rey in such a rich way. Snoke’s death makes perfect sense in the story of Kylo seeking power and Canto Bight really isn’t that bad. The Last Jedi will go down as one of the best Star Wars movies of all time.
Time will validate TLJ.

It’s a brilliant film that challenges expectations, eviscerates what you think you want, and provides a challenging film. I absolutely love it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’m still of the opinion that the Skywalker Saga was doomed after the first 3 films became classics. No matter what: nothing would live up to what fans built up in their heads from those movies.

Arguably Lucas has been the dagger in Star Wars back with the way he handled (or more like it how the people he hired) merchandising and the explosion of derivative comic books/novelizations / and random items that popped up in the films just for a new action figure or playset.

Mike S

Rian Johnson.
Baby Yoda.
Time will validate TLJ.

It’s a brilliant film that challenges expectations, eviscerates what you think you want, and provides a challenging film. I absolutely love it.
Maybe among the so called auters but among the people Star Wars used to be made for it’s all about Marvel now by a wide margin. All you have to do is compare the turnout for the hugely advertised conclusions that both came out this year.

Disney Analyst

Arguably Lucas has been the dagger in Star Wars back with the way he handled (or more like it how the people he hired) merchandising and the explosion of derivative comic books/novelizations / and random items that popped up in the films just for a new action figure or playset.

I agree. I am not a die-hard. Haven’t indulged in any of those things. It was too overwhelming for me.

TROR

Baby Yoda.

Maybe among the so called auters but among the people Star Wars used to be made for it’s all about Marvel now by a wide margin. All you have to do is compare the turnout for the hugely advertised conclusions that both came out this year.
Then you are lost.

dumb people: Every movie since Empire bad!!
Also dumb people when given a movie like Empire: bad!!!

Jimmy Thick

I get the feeling this will be a top priority for whoever’s Iger successor ends up being.

Lets see the final tally on Rise, it could happen sooner than that.

Rian Johnson.

Sure, but here is what appears to be the problem in my opinion. The films are judged as trilogies, if they tap Rian Johnson for the next film Disney and he should commit to three films. The problem in the current trilogy is they should have had Abrams do all three then went to another. Yes I know Lucas didn't direct all three of the original trilogy but they were his stories and don't for one second think he didn't have final say of everything.

Give the ball to Johnson but let him do three movies.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

But it's not Star Wars. If TLJ was a standalone film that didn't have 40 years of history behind it. Then sure, it was visually appealing, but still had a weak story. To get a little perspective of where some of us are coming from:

He does have valid points.

Mike S

Then you are lost.

dumb people: Every movie since Empire bad!!
Also dumb people when given a movie like Empire: bad!!!
I’ve never said all the movies after Empire suck though. I quite enjoy RotJ and yes, even the Prequels to a certain extent. I also enjoyed The Force Awakens. Then we went from a bad follow up to a comically mediocre conclusion. And TLJ = to Empire? If you want a modern equivalent to the overall feeling of ESB look no further than Infinity War.
Lets see the final tally on Rise, it could happen sooner than that.

Sure, but here is what appears to be the problem in my opinion. The films are judged as trilogies, if they tap Rian Johnson for the next film Disney and he should commit to three films. The problem in the current trilogy is they should have had Abrams do all three then went to another. Yes I know Lucas didn't direct all three of the original trilogy but they were his stories and don't for one second think he didn't have final say of everything.

Give the ball to Johnson but let him do three movies.
Johnson is never getting his trilogy. Disney’s apparent willingness to sneakily throw him under the bus on the press tour of and in the movie of Rise of Skywalker should be proof enough of that. No matter what these people might say now when asked directly about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom