Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think the real question is..where do we go from here. We have a good thing with Mandalorian. I'm holding out hope the Kenobi series will be good. But from a movie standpoint. There needs to be a new team. Kennedy can't take this forward. She's caused too much divide.

The "ending" of the Skywalker saga should have been on par with Endgame. Both financially and from a hype standpoint. Endgame did $1.2 Billion opening weekend. SW is going to struggle to get to $200 mil (if it even gets there). That's all on Kennedy and Iger.

Timmay

This thread.....
View attachment 435272

This is why I don’t talk about Star Wars online anymore. These arguments go on forever and never change anyone’s minds. They are the most useless kind of discussion. I’m just gonna drop this link:
This review pretty much sums up my feelings on the film. It wasn’t perfect, but it was fun. Once again, the middle ground is drowned out by all the screaming. *sigh* I wonder about this fan base sometimes. It probably is for the best if we just move on from the Skywalker Saga at this point. I think it’s time for Star Wars to “start over”.

And with that, I’m out.
View attachment 435273
Stand by for the ad hominem attacks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Stand by for the ad hominem attacks.

I haven't seen any ad hominem attacks. Just a difference of opinion relating to the Disney Trilogy. Nobody is going to change anybody's mind. But the fact that the fandom has splintered the way it has. And the fact the "End of Star Wars" is going to be financially inferior to the preceding two episodes. Well, those are just facts. And that should give some room for pause. The realization that Disney did not do a good job here is self evident.

Mike S

I think the real question is..where do we go from here. We have a good thing with Mandalorian. I'm holding out hope the Kenobi series will be good. But from a movie standpoint. There needs to be a new team. Kennedy can't take this forward. She's caused too much divide.

The "ending" of the Skywalker saga should have been on par with Endgame. Both financially and from a hype standpoint. Endgame did $1.2 Billion opening weekend. SW is going to struggle to get to $200 mil (if it even gets there). That's all on Kennedy and Iger.
Disney knew full well this should be on par with Endgame. That’s why this movie blatantly rips off one of Endgames big emotional exchanges without understanding why it worked in the first place.

“Hey it worked there so it’ll work here too.”

I really wonder what the people at Marvel think about it. It’s extremely obvious what LucasFilm did to many people online.

socalifornian

Random thoughts after just getting back:

Going to have to take time to properly "rank" it but oh my god they pulled SO much ridiculous BS out of thin air.

The Emperor stuff was totally unexplained and stupid, felt unnecessary. Why is the Emperor suddenly alive and what's more can summon thousands upon thousands of "ghost" Star Destroyers? And then why did the Resistance suddenly get a bazillion reinforcements out of nowhere to beat all of them?

There were just so many instances of them wishing plot resolutions into existence. It feels like they had no idea how to end things so they just gave up.

They really **** the bed with this trilogy. They had no idea where it was going or where it should go.

Three things that genuinely surprised me:
- Hux being a double agent
- Han showing up again
- The Anakin/Vader ghost rumor not being real (I had heard that for years so assumed it was true)

One of the biggest fundamental problems with this trilogy was they never spent the time effort to effectively world build. After three movies the actual balance of power in the galaxy is still extremely unclear. Why is the First Order so powerful? Aren't they supposed to be the rebels? Why does the New Republic not have an official army? Why are the good guys still rebels even though they're technically in power? Doesn't make any sense beyond just that they couldn't imagine Star Wars without "good guys = rebels, bad guys = empire"
The lack of a republic army was explained in the Battlefront II campaign I believe..of all places. It’s confirmed to be canon. Their line of thought was that the old Republic fell in part because of its army, so they decided to be more passive. Which led way for the Resistence to form apparently. Having two light side teams was so confusing in 7, then Battlefront II wasn’t released until right before 8 was released

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Here...I’ll help you out.

“JJ likes money and was a producer.

Now I’ll give you a certificate and we can move up to 1st grade”

You're going to use a "victim card" on that? Not an attack. Merely a question.

The post you reference is a response to a post that claims that Abrams is a fan of TLJ and takes no issue with Johnson's direction. I think we all know that this is blatantly false. I don't see this as an attack on the poster. I see it more as taking issue with what is being asserted.

Last edited:

Timmay

You're going to use a "victim card" on that? Not an attack. Merely a question.

The post you reference is a response to a post that claims that Abrams is a fan of TLJ and takes no issue with Johnson's direction. I think we all know that this is blatantly false. I don't see this as an attack on the poster. I see it more as taking issue with what is being asserted.

Ok. If you don’t think telling someone they can get a certificate so they can now graduate to the first grade is an attack, good for you then nothing left to discuss. No skin off my nose.

Mike S

Can we agree though that John Williams' score was brilliant. The sound, proportion, and crescendo on the main theme was epic.

While listening to this a scene played out in my head. The last stand of Luke Skywalker. A true hero’s death. Put that imagery with this music on screen and I would’ve been cheering/crying just as much as I did for the Avengers.

As it stands I’m so indifferent I don’t even remember where this played in the poop show I watched. I was just too distracted by the whole mess of everything.

Disney Analyst

I’m still of the opinion that the Skywalker Saga was doomed after the first 3 films became classics. No matter what: nothing would live up to what fans built up in their heads from those movies.

Then you add in so much extra canon stuff from books and shows... the prequels... now this. It’s just a muddy convoluted mess.

Disney has done pretty well with content not as closely related to Skywalker/OT (Rogue One, Mandalorian, even Solo was decent). I think things will start looking up from here.

Tony Perkis

I’m still of the opinion that the Skywalker Saga was doomed after the first 3 films became classics. No matter what: nothing would live up to what fans built up in their heads from those movies.

Then you add in so much extra canon stuff from books and shows... the prequels... now this. It’s just a muddy convoluted mess.

Disney has done pretty well with content not as closely related to Skywalker/OT (Rogue One, Mandalorian, even Solo was decent). I think things will start looking up from here.

One of the more irrelevant hills I will die on is fighting with people who think Solo is a decent, let alone good, film.

RandySavage

I also like Solo. For me it ranks #5 overall after Rogue One and the Originals (though the Woke droid was the weakest-point, for me). Goes to show how people come to this series from different places.

I thought the Sabaac scenes were brilliant - what Star Wars should be. Lando and Han actors were much better than I anticipated. I also really liked the "Western Front" element of the Imperial grunts on Mimban.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I’m still of the opinion that the Skywalker Saga was doomed after the first 3 films became classics

I can see the logic in that. And if like the prequels - the Disney Trilogy had simply failed to live up to that lofty goal - I'd get it. I actually thought TFA was good. It was what was needed - to introduce the saga to a new generation and to re-connect with the fandom. I can armchair direct and produce and give my critique's (like everyone can) - but overall, Yeah, I can live with TFA and the way it set up VIII.

The true test was with VIII. And IMO it failed miserably. It didn't respect all that came before it. It tried to change the rules in a game that had been established 40 years prior. And here we are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom