Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Mike S

The Force Awakens is the highest grossing domestic film of all time. I’m not sure he feels threatened by the popularity of The Mandalorian.
I can honestly say my greatest concern with Star Wars is that they listen to the loudest detractors. I keep hearing ”should of’s” that sound worse than anything yet put to film. The only sure way to kill a fandom is to chase after it. Clearly those who have claimed to have given up on Star Wars are more involved than ever as they remain the most prolific.
Meanwhile the rest of us just have a whole lot of Star Wars to watch... and read... and play... and visit.
The Force Awakens isn’t the movie that caused the division we currently see. Also most people that are dissatisfied with the Sequel Trilogy aren’t opposed to new Star Wars products that are actually good like The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order.

LSLS

I'm not the hyper critical ultra star wars fan. But I liked force awakens. I did not like last jedi for a lot of reasons having nothing to do with how luke was treated or stuff like that. And that has me luke warm interested in rise of Skywalker. I doubt I'm the only casual fan that feels that way. You think you are the one speaking for the masses, but it could just as easily be my perspective.

Mike S

I'm not the hyper critical ultra star wars fan. But I liked force awakens. I did not like last jedi for a lot of reasons having nothing to do with how luke was treated or stuff like that. And that has me luke warm interested in rise of Skywalker. I doubt I'm the only casual fan that feels that way. You think you are the one speaking for the masses, but it could just as easily be my perspective.
I’m in just for curiosity’s sake on RoS. Will it actually be a satisfying new ending that justifies undoing RotJ? We shall see.

My expectations aren’t high.

Btw I also enjoyed TFA. I was intrigued by the mysteries brought up and was left wanting more especially with that cliffhanger. Then the next movie threw all of it out the window to be “subversive”🤮

erasure fan1

I can honestly say my greatest concern with Star Wars is that they listen to the loudest detractors. I keep hearing ”should of’s” that sound worse than anything yet put to film. The only sure way to kill a fandom is to chase after it.
Yes and no. You can never lose sight of what made something special to the fans. Fan service, is more often then not, referenced as a bad thing. I truly don't believe that. The sonic the hedgehog trailer that came out first, was one of the worst things I have seen. The fans flipped out so they went back and redesigned sonic. Some say that was a bad move and sets a bad precedent. I say thank you for listening because the new design is true to the original and the trailer looked a lot better. The question is why change something that didn't need changing? No one asked for what we got at the end of the first episode of the Mandalorian. But because of a very fan first approach to making the show, nearly the entire audience who has seen it, loves it. It is a fine line to walk. You can't can't just listen to one portion of a fan base. But you should never take your finger off the pulse of what the fanbase feels/wants.

Mike S

Yes and no. You can never lose sight of what made something special to the fans. Fan service, is more often then not, referenced as a bad thing. I truly don't believe that. The sonic the hedgehog trailer that came out first, was one of the worst things I have seen. The fans flipped out so they went back and redesigned sonic. Some say that was a bad move and sets a bad precedent. I say thank you for listening because the new design is true to the original and the trailer looked a lot better. The question is why change something that didn't need changing? No one asked for what we got at the end of the first episode of the Mandalorian. But because of a very fan first approach to making the show, nearly the entire audience who has seen it, loves it. It is a fine line to walk. You can't can't just listen to one portion of a fan base. But you should never take your finger off the pulse of what the fanbase feels/wants.
It’s basically a difficult task no matter what that’s made a bit easier depending on who’s in charge and their vision.

Joesixtoe

One thing I think Disney did do right was to bring the fear and power of Vader back. Before Disney he was getting the short end of every cannon story.. he wasn't the fearsome sith that I grew up with. Now Disney with rebels, comics, rouge one, and even the disney trilogy has made him a terror once again.

Joesixtoe

I’m in just for curiosity’s sake on RoS. Will it actually be a satisfying new ending that justifies undoing RotJ? We shall see.

My expectations aren’t high.

Btw I also enjoyed TFA. I was intrigued by the mysteries brought up and was left wanting more especially with that cliffhanger. Then the next movie threw all of it out the window to be “subversive”🤮
I'm in agreement here.. hoping RoS will close this out somehow in the right way. TFA line of "this will begin to make things right" was a joy for me to hear.. I like TFA (minus death planet) and its development of a great future. I teared up over the first TLJ trailer.. those were exciting times man. Then the credits rolled on TLJ and those tears turned to a heart break. Because of this heart break, people said I was anti female, and I must be 40 yrs old living in my moms basement. These same people SEEM to be the same type who are in charge of the new disney trilogy... they get star wars in part, but they are missing it at the same time.

erasure fan1

Then the credits rolled on TLJ and those tears turned to a heart break. Because of this heart break, people said I was anti female, and I must be 40 yrs old living in my moms basement. These same people SEEM to be the same type who are in charge of the new disney trilogy... they get star wars in part, but they are missing it at the same time.
The "you're anti female, anti diversity, neck beard, man child" because you don't like the direction of Disneys star wars is the side I hate the most. Almost any fan who loves the OT, has no concerns about diversity in star wars. Star wars was a pioneer in this regard. And unfortunately, some of the people in charge at Lucasfilm, think it's a great idea to fan those anti diversity flames.

sedati

The "you're anti female, anti diversity, neck beard, man child" because you don't like the direction of Disneys star wars is the side I hate the most. Almost any fan who loves the OT, has no concerns about diversity in star wars. Star wars was a pioneer in this regard. And unfortunately, some of the people in charge at Lucasfilm, think it's a great idea to fan those anti diversity flames.
When the more positive fans go quiet, the anti-female, anti-diversity, neck beard, man childs rise. When this is called out, suddenly it's all moderates with nuanced criticism. I realize they too exist, but that stigma also exists for a good reason. They are out there. I don't believe they are legion, but they do like to post with maddening regularity.
Also, your last sentence makes no sense to me. Are you saying Lucasfilm (currently) is anti-diversity? Aliens got more represention in the OT than females and minorities. Doesn't discount the strength of the roles that were there, but that's not a good argument to make. Not very diverse in front of the camera, and not at all behind. I don't recall Rick Mccallum getting a fraction of the rage Kennedy receives as producer of the prequels?

Mike S

When the more positive fans go quiet, the anti-female, anti-diversity, neck beard, man childs rise. When this is called out, suddenly it's all moderates with nuanced criticism. I realize they too exist, but that stigma also exists for a good reason. They are out there. I don't believe they are legion, but they do like to post with maddening regularity.
Also, your last sentence makes no sense to me. Are you saying Lucasfilm (currently) is anti-diversity? Aliens got more represention in the OT than females and minorities. Doesn't discount the strength of the roles that were there, but that's not a good argument to make. Not very diverse in front of the camera, and not at all behind. I don't recall Rick Mccallum getting a fraction of the rage Kennedy receives as producer of the prequels?
Because in the Prequel era George Lucas was in charge of LucasFilm and he got the criticism. In this era Kennedy’s in charge of LucasFilm so she gets the criticism. Seems pretty fair and equal to me unless you think she should be free of criticism just for being a woman.

Btw, Rian Johnson also gets his fair share. The criticism of the Sequel Trilogy is equal opportunity no matter what race or gender the person being criticized is. As it should be.

erasure fan1

Also, your last sentence makes no sense to me. Are you saying Lucasfilm (currently) is anti-diversity?
No, they are for diversity. But what they were doing, was poking the bear. Do you not remember the pictures of the Lucasfilm people posting pictures of themselves drinking from mugs that said "fanboy tears"? I know there are some toxic fans who don't like the new star wars because it's been 4 out of 5 movies with female leads. But the way they handled that was all wrong.

In my opinion Princess Leia broke the mold for that type of female character. Lando blew up the 2nd deathstar. I know you said it doesn't diminish the strength of the roles. But the strength of the roles is what made them pioneers in the first place in my opinion. As far as Kennedy getting so much heat. Like @Mike S said, she hasn't been the only one taking heat. And I guess my question would be, why do you think she shouldn't be criticized? The majority of the criticism I've seen is well deserved. And I'd feel the same way if it was a male in charge. Why? The buck stops with the ones in charge. I have the same criticism for Iger as well.

Last edited:

DKampy

This hatred over star wars is overblown. One movie destroys the whole franchise in some eyes is beyond ridiculous. It would be equal to Thor: The Dark World taking down marvel. Most Star Wars fans have enjoyed everything else to a point. The people I know IRL even liked Solo. The only complaints of downright hatred I have heard is over TLJ. I did not think that was even as horrible as some people have claimed. As a Star Wars fan it can't touch my favs, but it is no where near the worst...hello prequels.

BTW...I have seen people say they will never see a Rian Johnson film due to their hatred of TLJ...Well as also being a film fan I can say those individuals are missing out. He may not have been a good fit for Star Wars...but he is an excellent writer/director. Looper and Brick are great....I saw Knives Out today...another outstanding film added to his filmography. I am now on the Oscar nomination for Daniel Craig kick....although I don't think that will happen.

sedati

I never said or believe Kennedy shouldn't be criticized. It's the level and overall tone that seems to go beyond what could possibly be called for. I feel she's been given an Herculean task and has well balanced appeasing the old while charting the new. There's so much now, certainly something for every type of fan. Last Jedi isn't my favorite, but elements of it I absolutely love. Some really don't like it. I get it. I think the whole world gets it. But there are also those for whom it is their favorite film. And they are no less or more "Fans."

Joesixtoe

This hatred over star wars is overblown. One movie destroys the whole franchise in some eyes is beyond ridiculous. It would be equal to Thor: The Dark World taking down marvel. Most Star Wars fans have enjoyed everything else to a point. The people I know IRL even liked Solo. The only complaints of downright hatred I have heard is over TLJ. I did not think that was even as horrible as some people have claimed. As a Star Wars fan it can't touch my favs, but it is no where near the worst...hello prequels.

BTW...I have seen people say they will never see a Rian Johnson film due to their hatred of TLJ...Well as also being a film fan I can say those individuals are missing out. He may not have been a good fit for Star Wars...but he is an excellent writer/director. Looper and Brick are great....I saw Knives Out today...another outstanding film added to his filmography. I am now on the Oscar nomination for Daniel Craig kick....although I don't think that will happen.
I hear ya, I liked Brick and Looper as well. Playing with new ideas might be a good role for him, cause he crafted a few good stories for low budget films. When it comes to established stories, well he seems to like to be a bit divisive and try and subvert your expectations way to much. So I wouldn't want him writing a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, but new ideas I'm down with.

Mike S

I hear ya, I liked Brick and Looper as well. Playing with new ideas might be a good role for him, cause he crafted a few good stories for low budget films. When it comes to established stories, well he seems to like to be a bit divisive and try and subvert your expectations way to much. So I wouldn't want him writing a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, but new ideas I'm down with.
I’ve only seen Looper and feel the whole psychic powers thing lost me a bit. It would’ve been fine as just a time travel movie.

Joesixtoe

Sadly there will always be extremes, but you never judge the normal dislike of these movies by those few extremist. That's called profiling. I bet you, that if Rey was Ray the male hero, Ray would have probably gotten more negativity because of him being a male. Atleast Rey being a female I'm sure gets some slack because men do respect women and have a caring nature towards them. People just want you to respect the characters that got you here, while ushering in the new. Disney didn't do this very well.

erasure fan1

This hatred over star wars is overblown. One movie destroys the whole franchise in some eyes is beyond ridiculous.
Yes, the last jedi didn't kill star wars. But it sure as heck created a divide, and part of Solos performance shows that. Like you said, most thought it was a fun movie, but casuals, and regular fans didn't show up. It was more than just people boycotting, but a big part was people voicing their opinion that they don't like the direction of star wars. The mandolorian is proof TLJ didn't kill star wars.
I never said or believe Kennedy shouldn't be criticized. It's the level and overall tone that seems to go beyond what could possibly be called for. I feel she's been given an Herculean task and has well balanced appeasing the old while charting the new.
It was Herculean because she shouldn't have been the one in charge to do it. Is it all her fault? No, Iger has a lot of blame as well. He should have never let Kennedy be in control of the creative side of star wars. But you couple that with her defiance with the fans and sure, she's going to take extra heat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom