News The Effect of “Frozen 2” in the Parks (SPOILER HEAVY)

rodserling27

There was nothing in the first movie to suggest that the specific duties of being Queen was Elsa's concern. It was about the fear of her not being able to control her powers and potentially hurting people like her sister again.

The movie ended with the gates open and Elsa using her powers in front of people and they were fine with that. Outside forces posing a threat to the Kingdom makes sense for a new conflict/story, but changing the outcome of the first movie does not sound like good storytelling to me.
BINGO! I could not have said it better myself. This is the whole problem with the second film.

FigmentFan82

F2 will crush the rest of this week into the Thanksgiving weekend. Overseas should be very solid throughout the rest of the year. This will hang around in theaters into the Christmas holiday season. 1b is a very easy mark for this franchise. Not to mention all the ancillary merchandise associated with the film. Big bucks will be made.

Animaniac93-98

F2 will crush the rest of this week into the Thanksgiving weekend. Overseas should be very solid throughout the rest of the year. This will hang around in theaters into the Christmas holiday season. 1b is a very easy mark for this franchise. Not to mention all the ancillary merchandise associated with the film. Big bucks will be made.

I don't think anyone doubted this would be a hit.

I also think it's a given that Frozen 3 will be in preliminary development soon.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I don't think anyone doubted this would be a hit.

I also think it's a given that Frozen 3 will be in preliminary development soon.

My daughter left the theater asking when Frozen III would be out.

I don't think they'll be doing the brand any favors by releasing another Frozen movie, but an Olaf or Sven movie or even an Oaken movie could advance the franchise without forcing a tired plot.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That's how we all felt after Toy Story 3, but that didn't stop them from making 4.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if I like Toy Story 4, or Frozen 3. I didn't go on opening night to see Frozen 2 for myself. But I was there. And my daughter loved it, and loved Toy Story 4, too. So.... meh.

I hope they do make a Frozen 3. Not for me, but for the kids.

WDW Pro

Read above for some very odd skepticism of the "hit" the movie may or may not be.

Latest projections are right in line with what I've said. The movie will near $300 million at the end of its 10-day launch.

It's currently performing almost as well as Toy Story 4 (another recent Disney animated feature that made money but grossed less than desired). Given that industry bean-counters always count the Thanksgiving week as a double-weekend, Frozen 2 is performing about $20m less than Toy Story at the same point (which received a boost from Fourth of July, but Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Memorial Day are the prime holidays for movies). TS4 came in at 430m for domestic box office revenue, which equates a 200m approx haul for Disney. Frozen 2 is performing slightly under TS4, but with almost no competition until Christmas, my projection of 500m-600m before Disney pulls it (likely in February) looks to be exactly where it will land. On the international side, F2 is performing under F1, but with F1 being the #1 animated film for interational revenue, it's still a bunch of money. But is F2 the hit F1 was? No. It's more in-line with coming just under Coco. Still awesome, but not growing the franchise like Disney wanted.

All that said, merchandising is fine for F2, better than TS4... the only issue with the film's poor reception scores is it might take a hit on a spring home release, but Disney+ changes all of that anyway.

Minthorne

I haven't seen F2 - as a grown man without kids I think I'll wait for it on D+
But instead of frozen 3 I love to see some real world building with a movie that crosses between tangled and frozen...

Mouse Trap

Latest projections are right in line with what I've said. The movie will near $300 million at the end of its 10-day launch.

It's currently performing almost as well as Toy Story 4 (another recent Disney animated feature that made money but grossed less than desired). Given that industry bean-counters always count the Thanksgiving week as a double-weekend, Frozen 2 is performing about $20m less than Toy Story at the same point (which received a boost from Fourth of July, but Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Memorial Day are the prime holidays for movies). TS4 came in at 430m for domestic box office revenue, which equates a 200m approx haul for Disney. Frozen 2 is performing slightly under TS4, but with almost no competition until Christmas, my projection of 500m-600m before Disney pulls it (likely in February) looks to be exactly where it will land. On the international side, F2 is performing under F1, but with F1 being the #1 animated film for interational revenue, it's still a bunch of money. But is F2 the hit F1 was? No. It's more in-line with coming just under Coco. Still awesome, but not growing the franchise like Disney wanted.

All that said, merchandising is fine for F2, better than TS4... the only issue with the film's poor reception scores is it might take a hit on a spring home release, but Disney+ changes all of that anyway.

Lmao... projections are no where near where you said they'd be. UNLESS maybe you're trying to pull a fast one on us all and claim you said domestic and not WW even though your original predictions clearly states WW?!

If Frozen 2's total gross is less than 600M by the end of it's run I'll never post on this forum again. If its total gross is over 600M all I ask is for you to admit you're a Hollywood wannabe and you can go on your way spreading misinformation as usual.

Spoiler alert: It'll be over 500M by next week...

Last edited:

Goofy Ninja

It's a Disney movie. It SHOULD be filled with cutesy animal characters. There are some really odd complaints on this thread...

I can understand having animals, but they should try to have different looking ones. They look way to similar, they should have had something else. What's next a fish that looks just like Nemo?

Goofy Ninja

Whoa, someone really went out on the limb by saying Frozen "Is going to make a lot of money". WOW, what's the lottery numbers Nostradamus?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I can understand having animals, but they should try to have different looking ones. They look way to similar, they should have had something else. What's next a fish that looks just like Nemo?

I mean,...

19507f9234432e2cdd2194a8d2b2906a.jpg

set-exotic-animals-salamanders-chameleon-600w-1109186222.jpg

I think they did fine. But to each their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom