News The Effect of “Frozen 2” in the Parks (SPOILER HEAVY)

sedati

I don't think anyone doubted this would be a hit.
I recall many in this thread assuring us a sequel would surely flop:

BrianLo

Latest projections are right in line with what I've said. The movie will near $300 million at the end of its 10-day launch.

I think the skepticism has more to do with your projected worldwide end of run total of 500-600 million, which that deadline article is not seriously helping your case. The film made 358 million worldwide (130 million from domestic) in the opening 3-day weekend. Deadline projects 284 million domestic by the end of ten days.

In order for them to stop the worldwide gross at 500-600, they need to pull the film out of every single international market TODAY and swiftly remove it from the domestic market next week.

Otherwise our total by Monday is probably more in line with 700 million and several more months of run plus a few smaller international markets to go.

Disneyson

Original Poster
There was nothing in the first movie to suggest that the specific duties of being Queen was Elsa's concern. It was about the fear of her not being able to control her powers and potentially hurting people like her sister again.

The movie ended with the gates open and Elsa using her powers in front of people and they were fine with that. Outside forces posing a threat to the Kingdom makes sense for a new conflict/story, but changing the outcome of the first movie does not sound like good storytelling to me.

[this is not an attack on you, just a general critique of the movie's plot]

Oh, I absolutely agree. It was hard to parse the message of the movie while I was writing that.

Back in the Eisner days, Frozen 2 would have been only released on home video, and Olaf would have a different voice. We would’ve been fine with that.

Disneyson

Original Poster
If they’ve gone to this length to change the outfits for the MnG, I wonder why they don’t wear the holiday costumes in the castle lighting. More dresses = more merch, right?

EvilChameleon

Darth Snips

It's likely to grab a box office total of $500-600 million, far below the billion of the first.
You may have underestimated this just a bit:

31CC9E99-05F1-4BAB-9187-177CBCED85B1.jpeg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/a...s-124m-holiday-record-knives-hits-42m-1258559

bubbles1812

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
After just 12 days... I was hoping someone would call him out on his supposed ‘expertise’ and ‘friends in the industry.’ Haha. I look forward to his explanation on how he was still somehow right. 🙄
Uh... his figures were in 2010 dollars...?

Aries1975

We considered going to watch Frozen 2 yesterday evening. They seem to have done something different with the distribution. It was not playing at either the AMC or Cinemark theaters. It was only at Regal and an independent 1 screen theater. The film must have been on 6 screens at Regal. There was a showing approx. every 20 minutes.

Darth Snips

After just 12 days... I was hoping someone would call him out on his supposed ‘expertise’ and ‘friends in the industry.’ Haha. I look forward to his explanation on how he was still somehow right. 🙄
Also, he made a point of saying that Metacritic was the only site that wasn't "used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand" (???). For what it's worth, the Metacritic score for Frozen II is 65 and the Tomatometer is 76%. Wow... There must be a lot of shady manipulation to raise that number a whole 11 points.

Funnily enough, the drop from Frozen to Frozen II is actually bigger on Rotten Tomatoes (90% to 76%) than on Metacritic (74 to 65).

Mouse Trap

Latest projections are right in line with what I've said. The movie will near $300 million at the end of its 10-day launch.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

It's currently performing almost as well as Toy Story 4 (another recent Disney animated feature that made money but grossed less than desired). Given that industry bean-counters always count the Thanksgiving week as a double-weekend, Frozen 2 is performing about $20m less than Toy Story at the same point (which received a boost from Fourth of July, but Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Memorial Day are the prime holidays for movies). TS4 came in at 430m for domestic box office revenue, which equates a 200m approx haul for Disney. Frozen 2 is performing slightly under TS4, but with almost no competition until Christmas, my projection of 500m-600m before Disney pulls it (likely in February) looks to be exactly where it will land. On the international side, F2 is performing under F1, but with F1 being the #1 animated film for interational revenue, it's still a bunch of money. But is F2 the hit F1 was? No. It's more in-line with coming just under Coco. Still awesome, but not growing the franchise like Disney wanted.

All that said, merchandising is fine for F2, better than TS4... the only issue with the film's poor reception scores is it might take a hit on a spring home release, but Disney+ changes all of that anyway.
I'm not going to argue with you. If you were at all knowledgeable, you wouldn't be arguing, so I'm happy to let you continue the way you are. I'll make sure to link you back in about 2 months when the box office totals land exactly where I have said rather than the 1 billion + of the original. Enjoy.

@WDW Pro remind me again how much of a Hollywood insider you are and how unknowledgeable I am? In case your “connections” haven’t told you, Frozen 2 has clocked 730M at the box office. And well on its way to 1B. Your estimate of 500M - 600M was crushed in record time.

I haven’t seen an “analysis” so wrong in a long time. Was it your “connections” or your math?

Mouse Trap

Also, he made a point of saying that Metacritic was the only site that wasn't "used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand" (???). For what it's worth, the Metacritic score for Frozen II is 65 and the Tomatometer is 76%. Wow... There must be a lot of shady manipulation to raise that number a whole 11 points.

Funnily enough, the drop from Frozen to Frozen II is actually bigger on Rotten Tomatoes (90% to 76%) than on Metacritic (74 to 65).

I don’t think @WDW Pro is going to show up in this thread again for many reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom