News Tomorrowland love

Bocabear

So my follow-up then becomes: was there initially a smoother transition designed that was cut midway through due to the canopy sucking up the budget, or did they just design the building that way from the beginning?
That is a really good question...especially since the exterior portion of the ride does not improve the experience... When you enter the building you are in the game grid...you board your lightcycle and then go out into the real world again before shooting through a hole in the building and stopping....then rolling into the show building... If the entire start to finish were all indoors in the game grid, it would have made for a better ride... It does look great from outside... but you sacrifice the ride experience for wow exterior visuals....

mergatroid

I struggle to fully envisage the gravity box from inside the MK. It will indeed be set back from the park, being hidden from view in the front by the canopy. Itself a bit so-so... A show building hiding itself in plain view a bit. Quite pretty however, to view from underneath is great.

I actually saw and rode Tron in Shanghai. The box is not visible from the park, that I recall, although the setting is completely different. I thought Shanghai TL rather attractive. But a very different aesthetic to MK TL. Incorporating Tron in the MK will be a difficult marriage. Or is that the reverse - incorporating TL aesthetics to Tron...

My foremost gripe is the massive volume looming over and directly next to SM. This diminishes the illusion of great size of SM. Straight lines angling towards one another create an illusion of size and distance, mimicking as they do lines fading off into the horizon.

Also, from the ferry or monorail, from anywhere but the top of the nearest hotels, the MK has got no visible show buildings. This helps to create an illusion of a magic world.

Some good points there.

DisneyNittany

I disagree completely... The WDW Original has a much better track layout and an amazing ( or used to be) preshow queue and post show exit... Perhaps it could use some tweaking but the original bones are larger nicer and much more stylish than the Disneyland version.

I should have said the ride experience only. Again, it's been years since I rode the DL version, but I remember both it and TDL being much smoother. However, I agree about the overall experience. Despite it being "rough", I still ride it multiple times/trip, just because I love the ambiance of it.

Donaldfan1934

Here’s a series of tweets from @bioreconstruct on the state of the Peoplemover tracks. Progress has been so stagnant on this makeover that bird nests have have formed in the barren beams.
Seriously, this is pathetically slow even by Disney’s standards. I’m happy the changes are being, but they really should’ve made sure there was enough money in the budget to get the job done at a somewhat reasonable pace when they started.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Here’s a series of tweets from @bioreconstructon the state of the Peoplemover tracks. Progress has been so stagnant on this makeover that bird nests have have formed in the barren beams.
Seriously, this is pathetically slow even by Disney’s standards. I’m happy the changes are being, but they really should’ve made sure there was enough money in the budget to get the job done at a somewhat reasonable pace when they started.

agree, its pathetic

raymusiccity

I downloaded an overhead photo of Tron from Google Earth and was going to say how there is nothing North of Tron as the only thing is North West, but from looking at the current positioning of the track I am very confused on how they are going to lay Tron out so I vote we just wait and see what happens.

The bottom line is the show building is slightly visible in Shanghai from the elevated walkways and afar, and visible on the ride. It would be great if it was not there but you have to admit, it is far better than RRC and Guardians.

Given that it could be relatively easily resolved it is surprising that it was left exposed in Shanghai. Maybe (unlikely) MK will get a small extension of the canopy to cover the corner of the show building.
I still don't understand why it's okay to see a canopy sticking out next to Space Mountain. I guess time, and another 80 or so comments will tell. :)

Monorail_Red_77

Here’s a series of tweets from @bioreconstruct on the state of the Peoplemover tracks. Progress has been so stagnant on this makeover that bird nests have have formed in the barren beams.

Yes, Disney is slow. But those bird nests have been there for a long time. Long before removal of these metal overlay pieces. Perhaps this is why it is taking so long. Removing the metal with minimal bird interruption. Can you imagine the animal groups that would freak out if they just tore off the metal and bird carcasses went flying everywhere. They can't win either way. LOL

Donaldfan1934

Yes, Disney is slow. But those bird nests have been there for a long time. Long before removal of these metal overlay pieces. Perhaps this is why it is taking so long. Removing the metal with minimal bird interruption. Can you imagine the animal groups that would freak out if they just tore off the metal and bird carcasses went flying everywhere. They can't win either way. LOL
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn’t know the nests were there for that long. It makes a lot more sense now why they’re going about it the way they are.

Monorail_Red_77

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn’t know the nests were there for that long. It makes a lot more sense now why they’re going about it the way they are.
Tomorrowland has a lot of those little finch type birds. My local Publix Grocery has tons of the in the trees and signage out front of their store. They find all kinds of small areas to build nests in.

Calm Down Rover

Martin's latest tribute just came out, it's for Alien Encounter.

The footage of AE 1.0 is amazing! I've been trying to confirm the origin of a cast photo posted by the director of the video portion (showing Clench in "fried" makeup). That photo always confused me, as it was my understanding that Clench appeared in the audience tube at the end via audio of him banging on the shields and demanding to be let out. I didn't realize that he actually reappeared in the onscreen tube.

AE 2.0 was certainly an improvement in pacing and clarity, even if some of the exposition was hilariously on the nose ("Since when does he have WINGS?" "Carnivorous? HE EATS MEAT" "HE BROKE THE TUBE"). I'll always be fascinated by this attraction, it was such a weird experiment for Disney.

Movielover

Yay! Wait...does this mean Stitch is next?

giphy.gif

matt9112

The Seven Seas Lagoon complaint would be extremely valid, but Bacon Lettuce Tower did the same thing a while back.

Here are my personal photos back in 2018:

View attachment 418106
View attachment 418107

From the elevated walkway, you can see the show building in between the two peaks of the canopies. It is far more pronounced in the day, but once again, due to the lack of elevated walkways in WDW, it is far less of an issue.

The show building is primarily seen when going into the bldg on the ride, in the elevated segments of the land, and I believe it is visible in Toy Story Land. I am not really sure, spent almost no time in the land.

WDW has no area which will be like Toy Story Land, WDW does not have the elevated Tomorrowland segments, but it will have the on ride exposed show building.

And a photo just to demonstrate darn cool it looks inside, even on an iPhone 6:
So you think test track looks cool?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom