Something needs to change with MK close on non Party Nights

NickMaio

I went every summer during all of the 1980's myself nor any if my sibling recall having to show anything to ride any monorail loop.
This resort guest stuff is rubbish.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thanks for the condescending tone. I'm old enough to remember riding the monorail for the entire decade of 1980......my family never stayed at any resort. Yet ever year we rode the monorail. I have many pictures and memories to prove this.
How old are you again........
Condescending? Not at all. If you're 40, as your profile suggests, you were born in 1978/9. That means you were at most 10 at the end of the decade, an age below which most CMs wouldn't bother asking you for an ID.

But just because nobody asked you for one doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And I'm old enough that I paid for my visits in the '70's and '80's (and the '90's, oughts, and '10's as well).

NickMaio

Condescending? Not at all. If you're 40, as your profile suggests, you were born in 1978/9. That means you were at most 10 at the end of the decade, an age below which most CMs wouldn't bother asking you for an ID.

But just because nobody asked you for one doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And I'm old enough that I paid for my visits in the '70's and '80's (and the '90's, oughts, and '10's as well).
Yes because we put our actual ages in our online profiles.........
🤔
I get your point about not being asked. However, not being asked over multiple trips every year seems quite strange. We went every summer and never experienced any issues or requests riding the monorail.

NelleBelle

I have discovered a great solution to the crowds at magic kingdom. Go to Disneyland instead.
THIS! DH and I are head to DLR next month. DH swore off WDW after our last trip last summer. He is over the ridiculous pricing, the horrible customer service (I'm tired of the "entitled guest" attitudes because of the high $$$ everyone is paying), and the decline in the parks! I totally am with the OP on the craziness that has become leaving MK--it was that way when we left MK at closing when we were there last June. MISERABLE!!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Thanks for the condescending tone. I'm old enough to remember riding the monorail for the entire decade of 1980......my family never stayed at any resort. Yet ever year we rode the monorail. I have many pictures and memories to prove this.
How old are you again........

Having only the boats and a few busses to bring back people to the TTC would be asinine.

There are two loops, are you sure you rode the resort loop? I don’t think anyone doubts that you rode the monorail in the 80’s without staying at a resort (I did too), but from what it sounds like, I think it was probably the non-resort line you rode (which runs right next to the resort loop on the same route and both have a stop at TTC)

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

People walking to the monorail resorts to then take the resort monorail to the TTC were always trying to ‘game the system’. In moderation, this is probably acceptable, but when you’re getting so many people doing so, then you’re making monorail resort guests, who did in fact shell out a nice sum for this very purpose, now get caught in mobs of people who aren’t staying at the resort. It would be like if random people were coming to a hotel you’re at and crowding the pool to the point that guests can’t use it. It could have been stated better by other posters in here, but they paid for that convenience and resort benefits.

It’s like, I’ve stayed at a Universal resort once, and they were having some parties in their conference rooms, and when I got back to the resort one night, valet said guest parking was full, and I could try parking at another resort and walking back. HELL NO. They quickly were encouraged to just valet my car for no charge. If I’m a paid guest, and temporary visitors are allowed to exhaust expected guest benefits, then that’s a serious problem.

Obviously Disney needs to find solutions so that it doesn’t come to this. MK clearly wasn’t built to handle this sort of capacity, and the setup of having to go from parking to trams to TTC to monorail/ferry is just an incredibly tedious and outdated funneling of park traffic. It’s a big reason why MK is typically our least visited park now, and almost never do we stay until parade/fireworks.

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

There are two loops, are you sure you rode the resort loop? I don’t think anyone doubts that you rode the monorail in the 80’s without staying at a resort (I did too), but from what it sounds like, I think it was probably the non-resort line you rode (which runs right next to the resort loop on the same route and both have a stop at TTC)

Yeah I’m not doubting him, but as a kid I really didn’t pay much attention. Sometimes I half noticed when we stopped at the resorts, but any memories I had of secondary stuff is probably 50% accurate at best. That’s me tho, I can’t speak for others.

kes601

Navigating the parks with scooters & wheelchairs suck. Not to mention the scooters are pricey. What would be the benefit of faking handicap status?
When we were there at the end of September there was a lady in the scooter who did the dessert party at the Halloween party (as did we). She did not need the scooter. When we got to the plaza viewing area she parked the scooter in the front where it was supposed to be, however she was supposed to remain on it. Instead she left the viewing area on foot and walked over to Tomorrowland to get a bucket of popcorn and walked back. She proceeded to stand (and not sit in the scooter) and record the fireworks on a selfie stick blocking the view for all of us who got our places to watch EARLIER than she did. So, there is your benefit for using a scooter when it is not needed.

NickMaio

When we were there at the end of September there was a lady in the scooter who did the dessert party at the Halloween party (as did we). She did not need the scooter. When we got to the plaza viewing area she parked the scooter in the front where it was supposed to be, however she was supposed to remain on it. Instead she left the viewing area on foot and walked over to Tomorrowland to get a bucket of popcorn and walked back. She proceeded to stand (and not sit in the scooter) and record the fireworks on a selfie stick blocking the view for all of us who got our places to watch EARLIER than she did. So, there is your benefit for using a scooter when it is not needed.
Ya definitely a faker......I hate it when people get up and walk around.
Never mind that it is actually beneficial for people with mobility conditions to get up and move multiple times a day.

justintheharris

I like the idea of only letting resort guest on the resort monorail. That is how it should be. I remember being on one jammed full that emptied at the TTC, very little resort guests were on it. It will make staying at a monorail resort much less stressful. I have never liked that non-resort guests used it.
You got your wish. Tonight they were checking with tablets.

Sonconato

They were probably checking with tablets tonight because Monorail Green broke down completely before the fireworks started and stayed there long after the fireworks were over. This rendered the express monorail route useless, and buses would not run until after the fireworks.

NickMaio

They were probably checking with tablets tonight because Monorail Green broke down completely before the fireworks started and stayed there long after the fireworks were over. This rendered the express monorail route useless, and buses would not run until after the fireworks.
It's crazy how often that happens. Monorails are going down every time we are there.
It used to be quite efficient. It's too bad now.
They clearly need to be replaced.

elcheapo

It's crazy how often that happens. Monorails are going down every time we are there.
It used to be quite efficient. It's too bad now.
They clearly need to be replaced.
We take the resort launch to GF and get off at Poly then walk to TTC. So much quicker

HongKongFu

When is the walking bridge to GF opening. I could see that being a viable option for me. I would walk back to my car when things are that crazy

That is one long journey back to your car after (presumably) a full walking day at the park.

I suppose if like you said when things get crazy it can be done, but DAMN! that is not a proper ending to a "magical" day.

mergatroid

Was chaotic a few weeks ago when we left, as others have said it would be better having the park open an hour or so after the fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom