Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Surferboy567

Wasn't Lucas' story about the micro world of midiclorians and the Whills? I understand Lucas being upset, but I don't think Iger was wrong to go in a new direction.
SOMEONE gets it. Yes, heā€™s George Lucas, and I get why itā€™s upsetting to watch the creator get ā€œbetrayedā€œ but remember this is the man who wrote and direct episodes 1 and 2 and while sure they are some redeeming qualities of the prequels (I personally like 3). Maybe it wasnā€™t too bad to step away from the midiclorans.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SOMEONE gets it. Yes, heā€™s George Lucas, and I get why itā€™s upsetting to watch the creator get ā€œbetrayedā€œ but remember this is the man who wrote and direct episodes 1 and 2 and while sure they are some redeeming qualities of the prequels (I personally like 3). Maybe it wasnā€™t too bad to step away from the midiclorans.
I am nowhere near pro-Lucas. I loved the sale of LFL to Disney...lauded it and talked it up.

Then they did a reboot...then they decided there didnā€™t have to be a central arc...

Then they shoved R1 into a drawer...I believe because it was ā€œtoo much like Star Warsā€ šŸ˜³

So I donā€™t weep for George. He made merch focused movies with yes men around him and they were not good.

Thereā€™s an amazing clip of rick McCallum - the ultimate yes man - after the first screening of ep 1 in skywalker ranch just railing on all the stuff that didnā€™t work. But it was too late.

So George ultimately got what he deserved.

TTA94

So has it been confirmed what Emperor Palpatines involvement will be in Episode 9? Iā€™ve heard everything from just a short vision or force ghost, to a full on return back from the dead?

Last edited:

erasure fan1

So has it been confirmed what Emperor Palpatines involvement will be in Episode 9? Iā€™ve heard everything from just a short vision or force ghost, to a full on return back from the dead?
I don't think that will come to light until the movie releases. I would be shocked if we even see the emperor in the trailer. JJ is too much a secret squirrel kinda guy to give that info out.

Prince-1

I don't think that will come to light until the movie releases. I would be shocked if we even see the emperor in the trailer. JJ is too much a secret squirrel kinda guy to give that info out.

Well his face is on the new poster so....

erasure fan1

Well his face is on the new poster so....

View attachment 417279
But we know he's in the movie in some capacity. One image in the background of a poster doesn't tell you if he's alive and well, a ghost, one of those robot things from battlefront 2, a vision... showing him in the context of a trailer, revels a lot in my opinion. And that isn't a JJ thing to do. Look at the length he went to keep Kahn a secret. I could be way off, but they seem to be taking the endgame approach with this one. And reveaing the emperor in a trailer would be a HUGE spoiler. Unless they shot fake scenes to throw us off. I just don't see them doing that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iā€™m gonna assume the big reveal is some form of Anakin Vader...which is why ā€œmaster of mysteryā€ abrams let the emperor be known so early.

Itā€™s the best logical ā€œsurpriseā€ given what heā€™s got left to work with...

I can recognize that abrams can start a story - Disney mandated reboot aside - but he canā€™t close. Which is probably why he removes himself from series and movie serials.

I do wonder how he would have played it had he done all 3...but I understand why he didnā€™t. Iā€™m 101% sure Lucas and speilberg told him not to commit fully. Huge risk/time commitment.

Prince-1

But we know he's in the movie in some capacity. One image in the background of a poster doesn't tell you if he's alive and well, a ghost, one of those robot things from battlefront 2, a vision... showing him in the context of a trailer, revels a lot in my opinion. And that isn't a JJ thing to do. Look at the length he went to keep Kahn a secret. I could be way off, but they seem to be taking the endgame approach with this one. And reveaing the emperor in a trailer would be a HUGE spoiler. Unless they shot fake scenes to throw us off. I just don't see them doing that.

Alive, dead, space ghost, cardboard cutout...who cares. It's a stupid idea bringing him back and it shows that JJ has a severe shortage of any original ideas.

erasure fan1

Alive, dead, space ghost, cardboard cutout...who cares. It's a stupid idea bringing him back and it shows that JJ has a severe shortage of any original ideas.
Well now you're talking about something completely different. I'm not super thrilled about going back down the emperor road either. The point being made was about JJ and his secrecy and if the emperor shows up in the trailer. And I think he won't.

erasure fan1

I can recognize that abrams can start a story - Disney mandated reboot aside - but he canā€™t close. Which is probably why he removes himself from series and movie serials.

I do wonder how he would have played it had he done all 3
I wonder what he would have done with all 3 as well. But more so what would he have done if he was able to create his own story without the Disney/Kennedy stipulations. Oh well too late for that. Feige can't take over soon enough.

Mike S

Denis Lawson has confirmed through a rep that Wedge is in episode 9...that makes me reconsider seeing it...slightly
Episode 9 shouldā€™ve been the point where weā€™re fully invested in the new characters and the old characters gracefully passed the torch. We shouldnā€™t still be getting these cameos lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Episode 9 shouldā€™ve been the point where weā€™re fully invested in the new characters and the old characters gracefully passed the torch. We shouldnā€™t still be getting these cameos lol.
I normally agree...but in Star Wars there are some characters that have gravity.

Rogue Leader is on that small list.

And what was one of the biggest mistakes kathyā€™s Boy toy made in 8? Not giving proper respect to a fan favorite character. They will never be forgiven for that by many.

So if I could hypothetically smile once or twice with this...worth a try.

Could it be...dare I ask?...a well executed ā€œblaze of gloryā€ scene?

One can hope

erasure fan1

That's why this whole thing is so infuriating. All the fans wanted was the first movie, the gangs all back together. The 2nd movie the new characters start to come to prominence. And like you said, by the 3rd movie we are fully invested in the new. And therefore our heroes can ride off into the sunset or go out with the heroes death. It's kind of sad how easy a concept this was and it got so screwed up.

sedati

That's why this whole thing is so infuriating. All the fans wanted was the first movie, the gangs all back together. The 2nd movie the new characters start to come to prominence. And like you said, by the 3rd movie we are fully invested in the new. And therefore our heroes can ride off into the sunset or go out with the heroes death. It's kind of sad how easy a concept this was and it got so screwed up.
The trilogies are broken up by generations.
Episode IV didn't put elderly Obi Wan and Vader in the forefront. It wasn't called An Old Hope.
Episode VII is better with an awakening rather than The Return of the Return of the Jedi.

A greatest hits album is not in of itself a great new work. I think there's too much focus on what wasn't done. Rey resonated. Kylo is intriguing. Someday they might play second fiddle to some new generation, and hopefully people then will be open-minded enough to understand why.

Frodo? Who cares about Frodo and his stupid fellowship. The Tolkein fans just want to see Bilbo back with the Dwarves. It's kind of sad how easy a concept this was and it got so screwed up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom