Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I meant to link this one
This guy just molested an alligator with a can of Coors

It would've been an extra year of jail time if it was a Bud Light.

Tanna Eros

I'd bet money they put some kind of dye bomb on the emergency kits to discourage tampering/theft. Can't make them difficult to actually open in an emergency, but they clearly need some way to discourage people from looting the kits during normal operation.
I can only image that the next evac will have blue splattered people exiting the gondolas when they finally get saved, and I'm sorry, I would laugh.

flynnibus

Premium Member

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney absolutely falls under it, as they employ EMTs, and likely nurses. Many privacy laws are part of HIPAA.

Reedy Creek and Disney are intertwined in many ways. Unless all info on the internet is wrong, RC is wholly owned by Disney.
double.jpg

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Considering this past incident, I would think that there should be two packs in each cabin:

1. A medical kit: bandages, epi pen, aspirin (for heart attacks), etc...​
2. A 'survival kit' for being stuck: water, bags of dried snacks, glow sticks, pee bags, etc...​

Then, to alert CMs/EMS, each pack should set off a silent alarm which is a blinking light on the outside of the cabin. Pulling out the survival kit causes a blue light blinking; the medical kit, a red light blinking. The light can't be turned off by the guest by putting back an emptied pack.

This will let CMs know as a cabin comes in what was done. If the cabins are stuck on the line and there is a medical issue, they can pull out the med kit to start the red light blinking to alert EMS. Or even if the line isn't stuck, a pulled med kit let's the CM know which cabin has the medical issue.

They should also consider the following for emergency supplies:

Life rafts and vests for water landings.
Oxygen masks that will deploy if there is a loss in cabin pressure.
Emergency flares for a night rescue.
Satellite phone in case it becomes disabled in Antartica.
Emergency gasoline container in case the cabs run out of gasoline.
Jumper cables incase you need help a passing cab which may have broken down.
Pepper spray incase you pass over the "bad" part of Disney.
Igloo cooler filled with beer, because well why wouldn't you have this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When did you see the sign? I have pictures of no swimming signs, but didn't see any alligator warning signs until after the incident. Might they have had them in a few isolated locations? Possibly if you say so but they weren't widely in use from 1971 to 2012.

They were not around the lagoon where there were aqua activities but where always around other water ways around property. Canals, golf courses, etc.

Basically... where they encouraged people to get in the water.. vs not to.

TP2000

Pretty sure we will see crews loading the soon to be disassembled gondola system into dumpsters any day now.

Either that or it might possibly take more time to investigate, repair and test a large transportation system than it takes to get a custom cupcake order.

What's your guess on how long this will be closed? Another week? A few months? Later in 2020?

ImperfectPixie

I am not really sure but considering the rather strict hunting rules, I would think it has not gotten to that point quite yet.
I only asked because I seem to remember reading articles about struggling to rein in the growth (and expansion of their living area) of the population and the strict hunting laws that are basically allowing it to grow unchecked.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What's your guess on how long this will be closed? Another week? A few months? Later in 2020?

I think the big question will be is if they determine it to be a system flaw, or if it was a failure that SOP called for human intervention.. and if they will try to remove the human factor.

Fixing a breakage... they can do that and test the fix quickly. But if they decide they have a control system flaw.. that will take more time to scrutinize and validate.

To habor a guess, I still think we'll see it running in less than 3 weeks.. maybe even within a week.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I only asked because I seem to remember reading articles about struggling to rein in the growth (and expansion of their living area) of the population and the strict hunting laws that are basically allowing it to grow unchecked.
It makes sense, but I am not really sure. Generally, they will loosen the reigns on hunting if they think it will become an issue, but I can see them being a little gun shy to do that on an animal that was considered an endangered species in the not too distant past.

Tanna Eros

Look Claude, free Disney souvenirs!
Is it okay to steal if there's no authority figure watching? Evidently it is to some people. Groups of people filing in and out of a gondola, the authorities unable to keep track of who took what- it's a recipe for an empty emergency kit. I don't want a souvenir poo bag. I own a dog. I've got hundreds, but you have to wonder about the cat that stole the e-poobag.
Look at the stuff in the kit. Someone thought it was purloin-able. I don't want to meet them.

rickdrat

They should also consider the following for emergency supplies:

Life rafts and vests for water landings.
Oxygen masks that will deploy if there is a loss in cabin pressure.
Emergency flares for a night rescue.
Satellite phone in case it becomes disabled in Antartica.
Emergency gasoline container in case the cabs run out of gasoline.
Jumper cables incase you need help a passing cab which may have broken down.
Pepper spray incase you pass over the "bad" part of Disney.
Igloo cooler filled with beer, because well why wouldn't you have this.
I would include some reading materials; like a selection of DVC brochures with an option to be directly connected to a booking agent through the call box.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom