Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

PeoplemoverTTA

Wow, that would instill a lot of confidence in the safety of the system.

Seriously. Seems just a tad extreme. That feels more like you're about to go climb a mountain or jump out of a plane or something. We're not signing up for an expedition, we're hopping on transport from one place to the other. Should we also sign up for security training when we check into our resort too?

Timmay

A better investment would be to just make it easier to know a kit has been tampered with so CMs can ID and respond quickly to ensure the kits are always on full ready.

A seal that when broken that trips an alarm circuit and light that is visible from the doorway.

This way a low voltage, very very low power system could monitor the cases and allow quick identification next time a cabin flows into a system.
Bingo. Same system used on some crash carts at hospitals I’ve seen.

Hawg G

You really don't know much about HIPAA, do you?

State privacy laws and HIPAA are two very different things. Disney does not fall under HIPAA's umbrella. Also, Reedy Creek is not Disney.

Disney absolutely falls under it, as they employ EMTs, and likely nurses. Many privacy laws are part of HIPAA.

Reedy Creek and Disney are intertwined in many ways. Unless all info on the internet is wrong, RC is wholly owned by Disney.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why would they need to convince people it's safe to ride, when it is safe to ride?

Because a lot of people are only going to read the headlines...

"Disney World's new Skyliner cable-car system strands passengers: 'It's just a nightmare'"
"Walt Disney World Skyliner Nightmare Led To Person's Hospitalization, Attraction Still Not Open"
"Disney World's new Skyliner gondola stalled, stranding passengers in the sky for hours"
"Reedy Creek fire raised concerns about Disney Skyliner weeks before malfunction"

stratman50th

That's incorrect on not posting signs from the beginning. We stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge a few years before the fatal alligator attack. At the very end of the fenceline by the guest tennis courts we noticed by the retention pond one alligator warning sign. When the tennis balls landed there we were not going anywhere near there to retrieve the tennis balls.
When did you see the sign? I have pictures of no swimming signs, but didn't see any alligator warning signs until after the incident. Might they have had them in a few isolated locations? Possibly if you say so but they weren't widely in use from 1971 to 2012.

Lilofan

When did you see the sign? I have pictures of no swimming signs, but didn't see any alligator warning signs until after the incident. Might they have had them in a few isolated locations? Possibly if you say so but they weren't widely in use from 1971 to 2012.
Go play tennis at AK lodge. At the far end right past the fence line is a small retention pond. The alligator warning sign is right there. Saw it in 2010 and other times after that.

stratman50th

What do you mean "nope?"
The barrier can't serve two purposes?
Keeping people away from the water from which a submerged gator may ambush out of, grab a victim and wheel around and head back into.
Can it serve two purposes? sure. Was it intended to stop a water attack? No. It's supposed to look that way but again, easier to keep people out of reach. The alligators will go someplace else if the hunting isn't easy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They have been in various locations pretty much forever, but as you said, they were not widely used.

Since the incident, I think they have the things running about 16" on center along every body of water on property.

Lilofan

Disney absolutely falls under it, as they employ EMTs, and likely nurses. Many privacy laws are part of HIPAA.

Reedy Creek and Disney are intertwined in many ways. Unless all info on the internet is wrong, RC is wholly owned by Disney.
That's correct. RCES is a wholly owned subsidiary of TWDC.

TrojanUSC

Honestly people are losing all sense of reason over this. Gondolas operate all over the world, without issue. This one will do the same. They will not add A/C. Yes, this was unfortunate so soon into the operation, but, as everyone knows, the monorail had its own set of issues over the years - including just two weeks ago when guests were stuck for over an hour and some guests had to be evacuated by RCID. No emergency kits, AEDs or other things in those cabins. Just a lot of stuffy air and crying kids. At least the gondolas have open ventilation. Same with elevators. Do you know how long you'll be stuck in an elevator if the building loses power and you have to wait for the fire department to come get you? Also probably a while.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Honestly people are losing all sense of reason over this. Gondolas operate all over the world, without issue. This one will do the same. They will not add A/C. Yes, this was unfortunate so soon into the operation, but, as everyone knows, the monorail had its own set of issues over the years - including just two weeks ago when guests were stuck for over an hour and some guests had to be evacuated by RCID. No emergency kits, AEDs or other things in those cabins. Just a lot of stuffy air and crying kids. At least the gondolas have open ventilation. Same with elevators. Do you know how long you'll be stuck in an elevator if the building loses power and you have to wait for the fire department to come get you? Also probably a while.
but, but....

giphy.gif

allgiggles

Yeah...the sign designer in me says that type for the warnings needs to be significantly bigger. I’d say readable at 10 feet at least.

I know it never will, but it should probably also include something along the lines of "the system may pause for several minutes during your ride." I'm sure there are plenty of people with various phobias that think they can probably handle a 3-5 minute ride on Skyliner but never consider the fact that the system could stop during their travels and they could be hanging in place for 10-15 minutes...or more.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
the danger was amoebas. until it wasn't

A couple of weeks before the gator incident, my cousin and I were at the Beach Club. People were throwing food to an alligator from the gazebo looking games area. I told them that this was not a good idea because it attracts gators anad one day someone will be bitten. One of the morons told me that it could never happen because this was Disney!

My friend, her daughter, and grand daughter were near the gondola. She told me they were zip lining some people off the cars. Mary also said no way would she ever ride one after what she saw.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
After the incident happened people posted pics of the few signs already existing around resorts that had animal and or alligator warnings. Not many and they were not in the high traffic areas.

ImperfectPixie

A couple of weeks before the gator incident, my cousin and I were at the Beach Club. People were throwing food to an alligator from the gazebo looking games area. I told them that this was not a good idea because it attracts gators anad one day someone will be bitten. One of the morons told me that it could never happen because this was Disney!

My friend, her daughter, and grand daughter were near the gondola. She told me they were zip lining some people off the cars. Mary also said no way would she ever ride one after what she saw.
And yet there are signs all over Disney property (and have been since before the incident with the little boy and the alligator) stating not to feed the animals. I swear, sometimes the levels human ignorance reaches is absolutely staggering, and why when I'm extremely frustrated by encountering it, I often say that we need to stop passing laws to protect stupid people from themselves.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
For some reason zip lining makes me feel better about the possibility of getting stuck.
Zip lining feels more like an adventure than a dizzying ladder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom