Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Phil12

You're using a chart without taking into account amount of time spent in that condition. Which, again, proves you don't understand this at all.

You have a chart that says "Prolonged Exposure."

You then talk about "spending several hours" in a gondola.

Is several hours prolonged exposure?

You don't know. You just don't know.

Stop talking about something as facts when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

The charts you post aren't proving your point. It's highlighting your ignorance of the subject.

If I show you a chart that says a turkey should be cooked at 350 degrees... that means nothing unless you know how big it is and how long you cook it.
Yes, I do know. Prolonged exposure is different depending upon the health and fitness of each person. Someone that is in peak physical condition and is well hydrated may not suffer any significant health problems after spending several hours at a heat index of 91°F (33°C). However, people that are 4 years of age and younger as well as people that are 65 years of age and older are far more susceptible to heat exhaustion. Same thing is true for obese people and folks taking certain high blood pressure and heart medications such as beta blockers and diuretics. These people should minimize any exposure to a heat index of 91°F (33°C) or higher because it is a serious health gamble for them.

It's a common practice for people to avail themselves of some attractions at WDW just to beat the heat. Tiki Room and CBJ are great examples of attractions that allow folks to get out of the heat of the day for a few moments and sit down to rest and relax. But if I'm leaving either EPCOT or DHS via the Skyliner in the late morning to get back to my resort and avoid a high heat index, I could very well end up exposing myself to a serious health risk if the gondola breaks down for three hours.

The bottom line is that every person has a different level of susceptibility to heat exhaustion depending upon their age and overall health. So, I guess each prospective Skyliner traveler has to ask themselves the question, "Do I feel lucky?". Because if the Skyliner works fine and does not break down, everything will be fine. But if it does break down in the middle of the day and passengers are stranded for three hours with a high heat index, there are bound to be heat related health issues among some passengers.

matt9112

The longest I've ever been stuck was about 30 minutes. I have no idea why the lift stopped for so long, nor did I or anyone else in my gondola seem to care. We eventually reached the top and skied down without incident.

This is how the rest of the world handles minor inconveniences.

I think the only time a ski resort ever offered an explanation for a stop was when a regional power outage shut down everything. But in this case, it shut down the resort, so I think they needed to make the announcement.

Cant compare this system to a ski resort at all.
Totally different demographic. You habe rolly polly olies that need to get on these things.

matt9112

First I have to totally agree. Now to answer, 5k feet in a mile roughly... if i had to guess 5216 or something.
3 tsps in a table spoon and 3 tbls in a 1/4 cup, so 12 in a cup. A cup is 8oz and you need 4 to make a quart.

Oops, it's 4 tbls in 1/4 cup, so Its 16 tbls in a cup. That would make 2 tbls per ounce liquid. Why do i enjoy this? Shoot me lol.
Probably because my grammar school tried to bang both systems into my head in the late 70s to prepare America for the Metric conversion that never happened.

Yeah it was suppose to convert than big buisness pumped those brakes. Retooling would have been the biggest expense but the irony now is how much metric we have voluntarily begun to use.

ImperfectPixie

rookies on skis move worse than ECV people
Agreed. I've never been a fabulous skier, but I do okay. Got off the ski-lift, started down the trail, and this young girl who obviously had zero control over where she was going smacked right into me even though I tried to get out of her way. Hubby laughed his a$$ off when he came down behind me and saw like 5 sets of people-prints in the snow leading up to us.

Tanna Eros

Agreed. I've never been a fabulous skier, but I do okay. Got off the ski-lift, started down the trail, and this young girl who obviously had zero control over where she was going smacked right into me even though I tried to get out of her way. Hubby laughed his a$$ off when he came down behind me and saw like 5 sets of people-prints in the snow leading up to us.
that's why I keep to the inner tube slope.

kurtk

I am curious about the latest status of the skyliner. Was there an official announcement of the actual reason it failed? Any idea when it is going to reopen.

It isn't worth looking through pages of comments to find the news. It would be great to have a pinned thread that only contains the latest news and not every comment, complaint and whine":)

Jimbotron

The last I heard:
Still looking into the cause
Indefinitely
I’m wondering if they miscalculated how long it could take to unload a car. If passengers are unable to get out in that allocated time, what is the procedure to delay new arrivals? I’ve seen buses where it took upwards of five minutes for a scooter passenger to disembark for various reasons. So if a skyliner car pulls into a station, and a scooter fails to operate and the passenger is unable to egress, what happens? Could that be a reason for the numerous stops reported?

ImperfectPixie

I’m wondering if they miscalculated how long it could take to unload a car. If passengers are unable to get out in that allocated time, what is the procedure to delay new arrivals? I’ve seen buses where it took upwards of five minutes for a scooter passenger to disembark for various reasons. So if a skyliner car pulls into a station, and a scooter fails to operate and the passenger is unable to egress, what happens? Could that be a reason for the numerous stops reported?
Scooters have a separate load area.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom