Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Lilofan

And yet there are signs all over Disney property (and have been since before the incident with the little boy and the alligator) stating not to feed the animals. I swear, sometimes the levels human ignorance reaches is absolutely staggering, and why when I'm extremely frustrated by encountering it, I often say that we need to stop passing laws to protect stupid people from themselves.
What was embarrassing was a few months before the fatal gator attack on the little boy, a few Reedy Creek firefighters on duty were feeding the resident gators right outside their fire station near the Grand Floridian. Their chief gave them a warning.

KBLovedDisney

For some reason zip lining makes me feel better about the possibility of getting stuck.
Zip lining feels more like an adventure than a dizzying ladder.
All fun and games until someone snaps and cuts the cables
homealonetreehouse.gif

stratman50th

And yet there are signs all over Disney property (and have been since before the incident with the little boy and the alligator) stating not to feed the animals. I swear, sometimes the levels human ignorance reaches is absolutely staggering, and why when I'm extremely frustrated by encountering it, I often say that we need to stop passing laws to protect stupid people from themselves.
Before the incident people staying at the Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows were feeding alligators from their private patios. Observers stated they advised CMs but nothing came of it. Now, I'm guessing the "witnesses" don't really know if the offenders were contacted or not but it's Disney and unless you commit some major violation against the Mouse you don't get in too much trouble. In any event, the distance between this location and the GF beach is nothing for a gator to swim. And at this point they've lost their fear of people. Very sad outcome.

ImperfectPixie

Before the incident people staying at the Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows were feeding alligators from their private patios. Observers stated they advised CMs but nothing came of it. Now, I'm guessing the "witnesses" don't really know if the offenders were contacted or not but it's Disney and unless you commit some major violation against the Mouse you don't get in too much trouble. In any event, the distance between this location and the GF beach is nothing for a gator to swim. And at this point they've lost their fear of people. Very sad outcome.
Enormously sad. And it's stuff like this that makes it all the more evident that Disney needs to step up and enforce following rules.

Tom P.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already -- it's an 87 page thread! -- but TV station WESH in Orlando is reporting that representatives from the Reedy Creek Fire Department raised concerns with Disney about their ability to effectively respond to incidents with the Skyliner and other new attractions several weeks ago. I know there was some discussion earlier in the thread about Reedy Creek being potentially understaffed, but this is the first I've seen of someone actually connected with their fire department publicly saying that in connection with the Skyliner incident.

Now, to be fair, this is a union spokesman saying this. And, of course, the unions are working to obtain more hiring and higher wages. So I'm sure there's a piece of this that is self-serving. But, still, if Disney was notified that their department couldn't effectively handle incidents on the Skyliner and chose to ignore that warning, that would seem to bode bad for Disney.

https://www.wesh.com/article/reedy-...y-skyliner-weeks-before-malfunction/29391116#

stratman50th

Enormously sad. And it's stuff like this that makes it all the more evident that Disney needs to step up and enforce following rules.
It's actually against the law here to feed or "molest" alligators (hmmm?) so it isn't just Disney rules. But again, unless you violate mouse rules they seem to look the other way on stuff.
From my patio...
20190712_170113-1.jpg

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
It's actually against the law here to feed or "molest" alligators (hmmm?) so it isn't just Disney rules. But again, unless you violate mouse rules they seem to look the other way on stuff.
From my patio...
View attachment 417144View attachment 417144
I meant to link this one
This guy just molested an alligator with a can of Coors

stratman50th

And to think people were swimming in Disney’s lakes from ‘71 to ‘97 or so. Five times daily water ski shows, too, back in the ‘70s. :oops:
My cousins used to ski and swim in the lakes all the time, this was in the 50's and 60's. The gators were on the shore and hanging out on one side of the lake and they were on the other. Never bothered them. (Jacksonville).
I'd be willing to bet there were more gators in Disney waters back in the early days than now. Bigger too.. Never bothered anyone that I've heard of.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

From my patio...
View attachment 417144View attachment 417144
I've heard more and more stories as time goes by of them turning their heads even when you do violate their rules...and I really believe part of why we're seeing such horrible behavior is because people know that (thanks social media).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My cousins used to ski and swim in the lakes all the time, this was in the 50's and 60's. The gators were on the shore and hanging out on one side of the lake and they were on the other. Never bothered them. I'd be willing to bet there were more gators in Disney waters back in the early days than now. Bigger too.. Never bothered anyone that I've heard of.
Actually, gators were nearly hunted to extinction. They were classified as an endangerd species until the end of the 1980's so odds are pretty good that there are more now than then.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already -- it's an 87 page thread! -- but TV station WESH in Orlando is reporting that representatives from the Reedy Creek Fire Department raised concerns

No, the Union rep raised concerns - not RCFD.

but this is the first I've seen of someone actually connected with their fire department publicly saying that in connection with the Skyliner incident.

Because it's not the FD making these statements.. and this was old news. It was the same thing when the guy said it the first time... as mentioned in the article by the response from the RC Admin... It's showboating in the press to press for what the union wants.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Considering this past incident, I would think that there should be two packs in each cabin:

1. A medical kit: bandages, epi pen, aspirin (for heart attacks), etc...​
2. A 'survival kit' for being stuck: water, bags of dried snacks, glow sticks, pee bags, etc...​

Then, to alert CMs/EMS, each pack should set off a silent alarm which is a blinking light on the outside of the cabin. Pulling out the survival kit causes a blue light blinking; the medical kit, a red light blinking. The light can't be turned off by the guest by putting back an emptied pack.

This will let CMs know as a cabin comes in what was done. If the cabins are stuck on the line and there is a medical issue, they can pull out the med kit to start the red light blinking to alert EMS. Or even if the line isn't stuck, a pulled med kit let's the CM know which cabin has the medical issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom