News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We experienced the "light boxes" twice on our trip last week. Aside from the meet being slightly more scripted because Tinkerbell needed to hit key photo poses with correct timing, the experience wasn't that bad. We got a few good photos and that's all we needed anyway.

The one major downside to this is the photos take FOREVER to show up in your app.

All in all, nothing to hyperventilate over.

TOCPE82

I used this one from my previous post and chose Photo Pass in the subject selection pulldown box.
I hope a LOT of people will contact them about this. That and reduced Memory Maker sales as people realize what a sorry product it is now are the only things that will have any chance of getting them to put real photographers back in the meet and greets.
Complaints matter in the aggregate.

I know I emailed WDW and Photopass in particular.

asianway

I still believe this is one of the worst decisions that WDW have ever done. These photo opportunities can mean everything for families and these boxes are a disgrace.

I really hope enough people email and complain about this. My husband is a great photographer but how is it then fair that he can’t be in any of his pictures.

Disney aren’t going to allow us to walk in and setup a tripod are they?

I’m furious about this
Character attendants are still present for All greets.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I got someone else’s photos at meet Mickey last week. So it’s going well. I don’t know how ours turned out and may never, but theirs had no photos of the moment-of-first-contact, which seems like A HUGE MISS.

Our temporary Epcot Photo Spot pictures will be our definitive Mickey and Minnie photos from this trip.

ColdSarsaparilla

We experienced the "light boxes" twice on our trip last week. Aside from the meet being slightly more scripted because Tinkerbell needed to hit key photo poses with correct timing, the experience wasn't that bad. We got a few good photos and that's all we needed anyway.

The one major downside to this is the photos take FOREVER to show up in your app.

All in all, nothing to hyperventilate over.

While I agree these are first world problems we're talking about here, the fact remains that it's providing a worse product.

And we're paying a premium for it.

And they're not about to pass along the cost savings to the consumer.

asianway

I got someone else’s photos at meet Mickey last week. So it’s going well. I don’t know how ours turned out and may never, but theirs had no photos of the moment-of-first-contact, which seems like A HUGE MISS.

Our temporary Epcot Photo Spot pictures will be our definitive Mickey and Minnie photos from this trip.
That happens all the time with human photopass

SirWillow

Yes, and likely do just as good a job as photopass

If all you are wanting is just the posed photo, then anyone can do as good a job as photopass (sad that the boxes can't even do that well). Where Photopass shines isn't the one or two posed shots that anyone can take, it's all of the candids and extras that they take- ones that attendants will rarely to never take with your camera.

drizgirl

If all you are wanting is just the posed photo, then anyone can do as good a job as photopass (sad that the boxes can't even do that well). Where Photopass shines isn't the one or two posed shots that anyone can take, it's all of the candids and extras that they take- ones that attendants will rarely to never take with your camera.
And the automated cameras are not likely to catch those moments either.

DisAl

Well if the dumb boxes can't even catch the posed shot decently, then there's no way they are actually going to get the candids, hugs, greetings, or other stuff at all. :)
You are 100% correct.
This has to be one of the worst decisions ever made by WDW management so far as customer satisfaction with one of their products is concerned. Not only that, they sold what was a premium product at a premium price, but now have degraded the product to a piece of nearly worthless junk. It feels like ordering (and paying for) a filet and getting bologna instead.
Sounds almost like a breach of contract to me.
Maybe one of those TV lawyers will learn about this and file a class action lawsuit. After they get THEIR fees those who purchased MM before the the changes would probably get at least $3 each! ;)

Last edited:

FigmentFreak

You are 100% correct.
This has to be one of the worst decisions ever made by WDW management so far a customer satisfaction with one of their products is concerned. Not only that, they sold what was a premium product at a premium price, but now have degraded the product to a piece of nearly worthless junk. It feels like ordering (and paying for) a filet and getting bologna instead.
Sounds almost like a breach of contract to me.
Maybe one of those TV lawyers will learn about this and file a class action lawsuit. After they get THEIR fees those who purchased MM before the the changes would probably get at least $3 each! ;)

Bob Iger's response to the bolded red statement above....hold my mickey bar!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom