News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

SirWillow

For what it's worth, my video review and response to the boxes is posted on my youtube channel now, showing how they work, ALL of the photos from Tink and Kylo Ren, and comparisons to other photos from my camera and other trips. And my final summation on Disney using these things. :p

DisAl

I understand (from another blog page) that they are using the automated at the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet at Town Square Theater. THAT STINKS! Yet another stupid decision by WDW management.
We will not be purchasing Memory Maker again.

SirWillow

I understand (from another blog page) that they are using the automated at the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet at Town Square Theater. THAT STINKS! Yet another stupid decision by WDW management.
We will not be purchasing Memory Maker again.

Be sure to let Disney know that, and why. When they see it hitting their bottom line and why they're losing money, that's when they may start to realize the mistake they are making and change it.

DisAl

Copied below is what I sent to Disney. Had I had any idea they were stupid enough to go ahead with this at more of the "premier" meet and greets I would not have let them talk me into purchasing MM when I made the reservation for our 2020 family trip.
As SW said, the only way they will back away from this if they get enough complaints and it starts to impact sales. LET THEM KNOW!
Here is the link you can use to send them an email:

I understand that WDW is now using an automated system to replace Photo Pass photographers at character meet and greet locations. The "final straw" for me it using this ridiculous system at the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet at Towns Square Theatre.
I am absolutely disgusted at the move to replace real Photo Pass photographers with automated systems at character meet and greet locations. So much so that I am considering asking for a refund on my purchase of Memory Maker that I have purchased for our next family trip in 2020.
There is NO WAY some automated system can "capture the moment", get just the right angle, or elicit responses from children that a good photographer can. We have many wonderful photos from trips in the past that are the result of talented photographers. We send a list of our top three outstanding cast members to WDW after every trip. On our last trip our number one CM was a Photo Pass photographer. No automated system can ever replicate the fantastic photos of our grandchildren that he made.
I have seen some of the photos done with the automated system. To describe them as pitiful is being gracious.
Whatever executive made this decision, please reassign him or her to some other position where he or she cannot do further damage, such as cleaning the elephant compound at Animal Kingdom, and REMOVE THE AUTOMATED SYSTEM!

Last edited:

NickMaio

I wonder if this is just a super greasy ploy to get people to pay for memory maker - instead of using their cell phones.
Too bad :mad:

DisAl

I wonder if this is just a super greasy ploy to get people to pay for memory maker - instead of using their cell phones.
Too bad :mad:
Actually I think you have that backwards. In my opinion they have reduced the value of Memory Maker by 90% with the use of the automated system. Most people will get BETTER photos with their cell phones because they can capture the "magical moments" and make photos from different angles. Even the most inept character assistant CM will probably do a better job with your cell phone than the automated junk.

NickMaio

Actually I think you have that backwards. In my opinion they have reduced the value of Memory Maker by 90% with the use of the automated system. Most people will get BETTER photos with their cell phones because they can capture the "magical moments" and make photos from different angles. Even the most inept character assistant CM will probably do a better job with your cell phone than the automated junk.
Just wait until WDW passes a rule that CM's can not take photos with customer phones😎

AndyS2992

Just wait until WDW passes a rule that CM's can not take photos with customer phones😎
Easy solution, just ask the people behind you in the queue to take your picture and offer to take theirs in return ;) It's what we do in Paris sometimes if there isn't a CM or photographer present for whatever reason. Works well though fortunately rare. Nothing Disney can do to stop that.

DisAl

Easy solution, just ask the people behind you in the queue to take your picture and offer to take theirs in return ;) It's what we do in Paris sometimes if there isn't a CM or photographer present for whatever reason. Works well though fortunately rare. Nothing Disney can do to stop that.
We have done that many times out of necessity, but quite often the volunteer doesn't know how to properly frame a photo and snaps the photo without letting the camera finish focusing.
Sadly that will still probably generate photos with better content than this idiotic automated system will though.

SirWillow

Oh the stories I could tell you about people not having a clue how to use a camera, how to frame a photo, cutting off heads, getting pictures of feet, floor or ceilings, or even knowing what button to push. :)

ada0801

We have done that many times out of necessity, but quite often the volunteer doesn't know how to properly frame a photo and snaps the photo without letting the camera finish focusing.
Sadly that will still probably generate photos with better content than this idiotic automated system will though.

I have emailed guest services, but do you have the photopass email off hand or any other places we should email? This makes me so angry.

ImperfectPixie

Oh the stories I could tell you about people not having a clue how to use a camera, how to frame a photo, cutting off heads, getting pictures of feet, floor or ceilings, or even knowing what button to push. :)
My husband fits perfectly into that category...he has zero clue, but thinks he does. It makes me chuckle whenever I see him trying so hard to get the perfect shot...and then I see the end result. (Don't get me wrong...I love him to pieces, but photographer, he most definitely is not.)

DisAl

I have emailed guest services, but do you have the photopass email off hand or any other places we should email? This makes me so angry.
I used this one from my previous post and chose Photo Pass in the subject selection pulldown box.
I hope a LOT of people will contact them about this. That and reduced Memory Maker sales as people realize what a sorry product it is now are the only things that will have any chance of getting them to put real photographers back in the meet and greets.

ada0801

I used this one from my previous post and chose Photo Pass in the subject selection pulldown box.
I hope a LOT of people will contact them about this. That and reduced Memory Maker sales as people realize what a sorry product it is now are the only things that will have any chance of getting them to put real photographers back in the meet and greets.

I also tweeted the guest services on twitter and signed the petition. I guess we will see if Disney wants to listen....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom