News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Neat!
That reply email was also written by an automated box!

Yep. They probably have automation set up on particular inboxes that scan for phrases and, using programmed logic, reply with a canned, HR/PR/Mgmt-approved response. The "person" who it's from may actually be someone who works in that department, but that person likely didn't issue the response. They are likely dealing with escalated issues and not the routine, day-to-day stuff.

Mainahman

Man am i glad we dont bother with any Meet and Greets, and hardly ever buy Memory maker. We were going to do it this next trip, mostly for the park icon group photos with my neice and nephew, but im beginning to think thats better done by a stranger with my phone camera over this...

DisAl

Yes, the exact duplicate replies are obviously a cut and paste copy of the Disney "party line propaganda" and not anything that would indicate they care at all what you think or that anybody in management even reads your email.
What is really insulting though is the absurd statement that the automation is an "enhancement" to the system. Come on Disney, we may be stupid enough to keep coming but we are not stupid enough to believe you on this.

SirWillow

This is what I find surprising. I thought this was designed for characters that only meet at some locations some of this time, such as Mary Poppins. To see it for Mickey at the Town Square, and the Castle leaves me no way to defend this system. My girls are still little shy and the photographers usually find a way to get their attention.

Putting a permanent box camera in temporary/ briefly used locations doesn't make any sense as you would be spending a ton of money for something to sit there and do nothing.

No, this isn't a way to fill in holes that weren't occupied by photographers. it's a way to completely replace photographers with something that will save them from having to pay wages. it's a cost cutting move, not even remotely an "enhancement" as their duplicate emails say.

ImperfectPixie

Not like the answer to this is going to change my mind in thinking that this is one of the dumbest ideas ever...but are the characters now in those rooms by themselves?

Disneydreamer23

what a shame ! I am glad I usually don't go do these sort of pictures but at the same time if I do its hard to get my 2 kids to smile at the same time lol

teenie0140

So frustrating. We have always purchased memory maker and I was really relying on that to capture moments of our family since we have 1 year old twins that my husband and I will be managing plus our 6 year old. I won't easily be able to hold my dslr to capture the moments. So disappointing!! Now I have to decide if Memory Maker is even worth it - leaning towards no..

stratman50th

I have never used Memory Maker but I get it. So my thoughts are for those who rely on it. I didn't read all 26 pages so if I'm repeating someone's post I apologize.
I've been going to the World for many years. In that time I have experienced Disney technology failure..... a lot. Yeti? I can't tell you how many times Test Track was down in the early years. Been on the monorail stuck on the beam more than once. As I was reading you all's comments all I could think of was a line with a bunch of hot cranky kids and parents waiting their turn to see the mouse and the cameras go down. At least with a human you can swap out a camera, or a human and keep things moving along.

Smooth

I have never used Memory Maker but I get it. So my thoughts are for those who rely on it. I didn't read all 26 pages so if I'm repeating someone's post I apologize.
I've been going to the World for many years. In that time I have experienced Disney technology failure..... a lot. Yeti? I can't tell you how many times Test Track was down in the early years. Been on the monorail stuck on the beam more than once. As I was reading you all's comments all I could think of was a line with a bunch of hot cranky kids and parents waiting their turn to see the mouse and the cameras go down. At least with a human you can swap out a camera, or a human and keep things moving along.
I'm wondering how they would even know if or when the cameras were down?

SirWillow

I'm wondering how they would even know if or when the cameras were down?

Every photo is streamed into a QA department first that looks at the photos. If there are photos that should be coming from a location and aren't, they'll see it. They system is designed where at any point they can also look at what photos are coming from what locations at any point, so it's usally pretty quick and easy to tell if a camera (or a photographer) isn't working somewhere

TrojanUSC

I think this is an idiotic idea and truly stupid but also because these take photos at set intervals, rather than at just "cute" moments, you're bound to get more "duds" than you are with a live photographer. However, I don't think they are all anywhere near this bad.

Indy_UK

I still believe this is one of the worst decisions that WDW have ever done. These photo opportunities can mean everything for families and these boxes are a disgrace.

I really hope enough people email and complain about this. My husband is a great photographer but how is it then fair that he can’t be in any of his pictures.

Disney aren’t going to allow us to walk in and setup a tripod are they?

I’m furious about this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom