News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

DisAl

I know the post about keeping PhotoPass photographers out of view of the public was pure satire, but we did make one observation on our last trip. The grandson, then 3 1/2, seemed to cooperate much better with the attractive young lady photographers than anyone else. Don't know for sure if he just takes after his granddaddy or if the boy is just learning how life works at an early age! ;)

The Great Gonzo

I'm good with it. As long as there is a limit to how long someone can take pictures. It felt like the people in front of us for the Jaws shark were taking 77 pictures at Universal.

DisAl

I read on another web site this morning that the boxes had been removed from the Mickey meet and greet at Town Square Theatre. Can anyone confirm that? If true that is good news.

SirWillow

I read on another web site this morning that the boxes had been removed from the Mickey meet and greet at Town Square Theatre. Can anyone confirm that? If true that is good news.

What I've heard (and can't confirm one way or the other yet) is that there were some technical issues with the cameras with Mickey so they had photographers in there. Supposedly some boxes were working and others weren't. The photographers would be a temporary fix until the boxes were fixed if that was the case.

I can't confirm that is the actual case, but it is the plan if the boxes were to have problems. It would be nice if they were being removed, but I'm not holding my breath.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What I've heard (and can't confirm one way or the other yet) is that there were some technical issues with the cameras with Mickey so they had photographers in there. Supposedly some boxes were working and others weren't. The photographers would be a temporary fix until the boxes were fixed if that was the case.

I can't confirm that is the actual case, but it is the plan if the boxes were to have problems. It would be nice if they were being removed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Well, it'd be a cryin' shame if ALL of them started having "problems"...

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Even if there are not technical problems the quality of what they capture certainly has content problems. The photos from the automated system that I have seen are worthless.
Our collection:
2 posed photos where most people weren't smiling and my little boys are looking in random directions
2 not-ready-yet "posed" photos
5 photos of people and mice meandering randomly
1 cute photo of Minnie waving goodbye to my 1 year old
0 photos of the moment my 1 year old met Minnie, his favorite Disney character
0 photos of the moment my 3 year old met Minnie, his favorite Disney character
0 photos of Mickey teasing my son about his mouse ears
0 photos where everyone is looking at the camera

Bangup job. Great expenditure of one hundred and sixty nine dollars.

drizgirl

Our collection:
2 posed photos where most people weren't smiling and my little boys are looking in random directions
2 not-ready-yet "posed" photos
5 photos of people and mice meandering randomly
1 cute photo of Minnie waving goodbye to my 1 year old
0 photos of the moment my 1 year old met Minnie, his favorite Disney character
0 photos of the moment my 3 year old met Minnie, his favorite Disney character
0 photos of Mickey teasing my son about his mouse ears
0 photos where everyone is looking at the camera

Bangup job. Great expenditure of one hundred and sixty nine dollars.
Priceless. :(

DisAl

The box is still there in Town Square, but the meet and greet was using real photopass photographers both yesterday and today. We were able to get some photos that I'm 100% positive the automated box would not have captured. Those in charge of this box idea should have no place TWDC.
Whoever made the decision to install the boxes could still be useful somewhere at WDW because somebody has to clean the elephant compound at AK. ;)
Or even better, base their pay on the percentage of "good" photos the automated system makes. That should reduce their pay to about 1% of what they are making now.

DisAl

I hate these new automated cameras. I had the meet and greet with Tinker Bell and every single photo except for one were us not even looking at the camera like the photographers are so much better.
Please contact Disney and let them know how dissatisfied you are. The only way they will go back to real photographers instead of this junk is if people let them know and if MM sales drop.

DisAl

From the Memory Maker terms and conditions:
"Memory Maker is non-refundable (except if purchased as part of a Disney Resort Hotel package) and non-transferable. When purchased as part of a Disney Resort Hotel package, Memory Maker is subject to the cancellation and refund policies of the Disney Resort Hotel package"
The way I read this, if you purchased MM as a part of a package, you CAN cancel it up to the same dates you could make changes or cancellations on your package. If they still have these terrible automated systems in place a couple of months before our trip next May we WILL be cancelling MM and asking for a refund. If we had not already purchased that as part our package (before they put the automated junk in) I would wait until about 5 days before the trip to purchase it.
If you are thinking about purchasing MM consider sending Disney an email asking them if they are going to keep the automated system and tell them you are not going to buy it if they keep this junk rather than real photographers. The only thing that will change the bean counters minds is if they see that lost sales is costing them more than using real photographers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom