News Tomorrowland love

Crazydisneyfanluke

Finally a good quality picture (until @wdwmagic gets there):
EEqm58sXUAE4Czk.jpg:orig

It does go nicely with the "new" Monsters sign:
dsc07460.jpg

It's happening very slowly (hopefully they continue with it).

OHHH boy. The sign looks amazing!!! It makes the rest of Tomorrow Land look out of place!

hauntology

I really like this new sign because of what it implies for the rest of Tomorrowland. I don’t necessarily see it as plain: I think less is more in this instance. The previous Tomorrowland refurb was maximalist as all heck. So much of it aged because it was ornamented in a way that hid a lot of its structural ugliness (the fins for example) that I still personally
Loved because it was corny...

I keep preaching it but they better go with a retrofuture 60s/Y2K aesthetic thing so it can look sparkling.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I actually like the blue tones. I wish the whole land would just be a mixture of blue and white. The other colors look very strange in some instances.
Indeed. The sign works well with the original designs for the land overhaul.

Where the random wall painting efforts are coming from though I don’t know.

jmuboy

Did we talk about the theming being stripped elsewhere in Tomorrowland already?

https://blogmickey.com/2019/09/even...-stripped-from-tomorrowland-at-magic-kingdom/

Everything OLD is new again in "TOMORROW"-land. History does repeat itself.

Joking aside the original white / blue streamlined Tomorrowland was more graceful. TL, lots of MGM and Epcot fountain plaza were all examples of "theme with clutter and junk" that was a popular atheistic in the 90s. And in the 90s as a kid visiting WDW I think I even liked it. That said, the modernism of EPCOT's fountain plaza area or the original design scheme of TL are just much more timeless (not perfect for sure, just more timeless). And now we can be grateful 90s WDW cheaped out and never steampunked all of the PeopleMover. Will take less time to de-clutter it now. :)

Donaldfan1934

Oh yes. Believe me, I have no love for TDO or their management philosophies. :) Their deficiencies have just been amplified in the past 10 years or so, starting with Iger and Staggs' belief that the theme parks were "mature" and didn't require significant investment. $hapek is getting credit for approving spending, which I will begrudgingly acknowledge, but it's still playing catch-up for a decade of neglect. And there are many, many questions about how that money is being spent, along with $hapek's IP mandate. Let's just say I think there's a lot of good that could have come around Tomorrowland from the money being used to build Tron. Or maybe not, given WDI's profligate ways these days.
I don’t disagree that upper management hasn’t helped, but let’s look at the facts here for the moment, shall we? Over the past 5 years alone, DLR has brought updates to attractions such as BTMRR, Alice in Wonderland, PPF, the Materhorn, HM and Fantasmic!. Aside from Alice and Matterhorn, WDW has equivalents to all of these attractions, but none have received updates of that scale with the exception of HM. In most cases, WDW only updates attractions when the changes can be implemented overnight like the MMR animatronics in Gran Fiesta Tour or within a 1-2 month refurb period like the black lighting and additional fish in Mermaid. Ultimately, the differences in management philosophies between WDW and its sister resorts are too big to blame on the individuals who oversee all of them no matter how bad they may screw up in other areas.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don’t disagree that upper management hasn’t helped, but let’s look at the facts here for the moment, shall we? Over the past 5 years alone, DLR has brought updates to attractions such as BTMRR, Alice in Wonderland, PPF, the Materhorn, HM and Fantasmic!. Aside from Alice and Matterhorn, WDW has equivalents to all of these attractions, but none have received updates of that scale with the exception of HM. In most cases, WDW only updates attractions when the changes can be implemented overnight like the MMR animatronics in Gran Fiesta Tour or within a 1-2 month refurb period like the black lighting and additional fish in Mermaid. Ultimately, the differences between management philosophies between WDW and its sister resorts are too big to blame on the individuals who oversee all of them no matter how bad they may screw up in other areas.

I think we're basically on the same page here. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom