News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

bubbles1812

Muti-story, smaller footprint, more limited inventory. Just like their urban center stores vs say the sprawling flyover country superstores.
Plus the escalators for the carts are fun! (And could be considered a new ride... for the brave... and those fast enough to run from security :cool:)

The least interesting announcement from the presentation.
Hey now. They brought out the dog. How could you not be charmed by the dog?! ;) And he bribed the audience with gifts. Such a good dog.

lazyboy97o

I have 2 kids that have practically grown up in the toy section at Target. There is already a buttload if Disney stuff there. I don’t think creating a new Disney store section is going to move the needle any in terms of merch pushing. I’m so confused any way, why is Disney investing more in brick/mortar retail when it’s a mature industry at best. Target may have longer life span than others but it’s still not going to add consumers over time, only reduce them.
I imagine the expense is more Target’s than Disney’s. The store-within-store concept seems to be a current trend and fits with how Target has been remodeling their stores.

WDWBryan

Has that been confirmed?
Nope and I don’t think they will build it there. What was actually said is target plans on opening a new store near Walt Disney world. They already have a store on 192 right next to 429.

My guess is the new store is going into Vineland point off of Daryl Carter Parkway which is basically the commercial replacement for the crossroads that’s closing down.

TJJohn12

It would be nice to have a place to purchase sundries or other basics on property. Last year, my son and daughter in law forgot to bring formula and enough diapers for their 1 year old, and I've been caught short when hit with a cold or allergies acting up during a visit.

This. I went in search of a watch battery on property a couple years back and finally had to Lyft to a Walgreens - expensive watch battery.

Kman101

Hire a weatherman to run the company, you get ESPN.

Hire a salesman to run the parks and you get Target on property and little Disney stores co-mingled with Targets.

And I'm sure the Board of Directors just put a Target on Chapek's back...

But how/is this a bad idea? (Not that you said it was, mind you)

He's actually doing his job for a change.

I loathe the man but this is a smart move. JMO. It makes a LOT of sense to offer Disney Branded Parks merchandise in a Disney Store inside of Target. THIS is what he SHOULD be doing.

Whether some like it or not, merchandise is a big part. I get why some of us are jaded towards that aspect, but I really like this move. 🤷‍♂️

Mickey5150

I imagine the expense is more Target’s than Disney’s. The store-within-store concept seems to be a current trend and fits with how Target has been remodeling their stores.
Traditionally in store within a store it's the company going in that pays all the expenses for their section. However, it is much cheaper to put stores inside Target than having their own stores.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Walt Disney went through painstaking measures to secure the "blessing of size" and be free of the outside world and it's "neon jungle". Current management uses that blessing to bring the neon jungle in.

And FYI, Target is one the biggest (and probly best) data collection agencies. They just use the retail stores as a front nowadays.

SirWillow

But how/is this a bad idea? (Not that you said it was, mind you)

He's actually doing his job for a change.

I loathe the man but this is a smart move. JMO. It makes a LOT of sense to offer Disney Branded Parks merchandise in a Disney Store inside of Target. THIS is what he SHOULD be doing.

Whether some like it or not, merchandise is a big part. I get why some of us are jaded towards that aspect, but I really like this move. 🤷‍♂️

It IS a smart move and a good move on both parts. People who don't live near the parks still want park merch, and this is a great way to not only bring focus on what is already in the stores, but for those of us who live a long ways away (like me in Missouri) they'll feel that there is a place they can feel like they are near the parks and shop with them. And very likely be a better way for them to make merch sales than some of the Disney stores do (for example, the one near us in Branson is terrible on anything but over priced cheap toys and costumes)

And people have said for years they need a store somewhere on property to buy sundries, clothes, and other needs for all those trapped on property. They don't need the huge full size Target, just a smaller one with items tailored for what people on property would need or want. And they can even mark it up some over "normal" prices since it's on property, and would be items that wouldn't be sold elsewhere on property. With Disney getting a cut, they'd be making money that otherwise would have been spent off property and also lost with people paying for uber/ lyft/ taxi/ etc. That's a win all the way around for Disney.

And they really won't be losing any sales in park food since the number of people who even think to bring in snacks/ meals, let alone want to carry them around all day is small and they're likely doing it anyways. If anything, this gives Disney a way to make a bit of money off of them as well that they weren't before.

I honestly don't see a way that this is a bad thing for Disney, or really for visitors or those outside the parks either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom