News D23 Expo 2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
This was mostly garbage.

I can't imagine waiting overnight in line only to sit through that.

I think there was a ton of stuff in there... waiting till someone else composes the list to give a blow by blow..

But we got
- timelines on things we knew were coming
- confirmation on lots of new projects (that have been rumored, but not confirmed)
- we got new visuals and art on lots of attractions
- we got our first look at how Disney plans on celebrating the 50th
- we got several new attraction announcements
- several bits about the DCL

People seem to forget this is a presentation for P&R in a larger event - not just a 'breaking new announcements' session. This session is MORE than just 'news you hadn't heard yet...'

Casper Gutman

Best part was **** Van ****.

I liked seeing more on Guardians, Space 220, Mickey, closer looks at upgraded EPCOT, the two shows it’s getting, and Spaceship Earth. I won’t belive it’s actually Moana in there until it’s explicitly said so. Bob wouldn’t have missed that chance to plug a product. The new Cirque show sounds amazing too and hopefully that Avengers ride is as good as it looks and sounds. Mary Poppins is actually getting Cherry Tree Lane and I don’t know about you guys but if it was just a carousel or whatever wouldn’t they have just said it now? Idk.

Overall there’s a good amount I enjoyed but for EPCOT they messed up imo. Should’ve left everything for the actual panel and just do it on the first day.

Btw guys I left at like page 80. I’m not going through all this lol.
Avengers ride is phase 2, which means “maybe, in six years or so.”

If it was a dark ride, they’d have said it. A lot.

The SSE image shows a manta in the sky that featured in Moana. That’d be a weird coincidence.

Phineas

Now I keep my expectation low, but seeing a glimpse of WDW's 50th Anniversary logo and previewing Disneyland new parade "Magic Happens" actually made me hope they could at least tease a new electrical parade in the works or something like that.

43b5eec5c512c3abc8df6dd1d3ff312b.gif

Also the Make-A-Wish ending for this year's D23 gave me flashbacks to the way they ended the previous D23 in 2017. It actually made my eyes roll.
Also, and I do not wish to be insensitive or disrespectful to the affected families, but the wording they used-something like “granting wishes that last a lifetime” isn’t as profound when recipients are quite often terminally ill.

Last edited:

Kman101

I like it. And especially the Coco float (Coco got a VERY loud cheer, take notice Chapek). Disneyland deserves a better parade than Soundsational (though I liked the soundtrack). That one felt cheap and probably wasn't supposed to last as long as it did. "Magic Happens" is so generic though. And I'm not sure what to think of the music. Something I'd have to see full and complete and in person when it's done.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Disney Staffer: This presentation took a lot of work. People people waited over night just to get in. Shouldn't we be streaming this so more people can see it?
Chapek: No, make them shuffle back and forth through 4-5 blogger streams. And cut the wifi at the worst times.
Yeah that was pretty weird. Either put up a high quality official stream or take everybody's phone.

Kman101

Avengers ride is phase 2, which means “maybe, in six years or so.”

If it was a dark ride, they’d have said it. A lot.

The SSE image shows a manta in the sky that featured in Moana. That’d be a weird coincidence.

I'm guessing Avengers e-ticket is a Marvel themed Smuggler's Run. I'd love to be wrong and it's not a simulator. They have FOP and Smuggler's Run. You just know they're itching to keep copying it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No great companies just do the good charitable work. They don't elevate themselves on a platform to the public to say "Look at what we're doing and how great and caring we are".

No, clearly by the response shown here they do need to make it more visible... because people think its a waste of their time to even discuss it. Thus, clearly not meaningful or worthy to them... to share the same type of compassion and motivation to do their part. These fans need to see a good example.

Kman101

Is it controversial if I like Dreamer's Point and the Walt statue Epcot's getting? I'm all for the Walt statue. I've wanted the Storyteller's Statue so I'll take this in a heartbeat. It's the little things.

However, Dreamer's Point reads "upstairs is reservation only ... sorry folks!" ... but I'll try and not be too judgey ...

UNCgolf

After today, I can confidently state that during my next trip to Orlando more time will be spent at Universal Studios than Walt Disney World. I hate that. But, value is value and I can't continue to go to WDW and waste money.

Is it a better value, though? It's possible things have changed a lot in the past couple of years, but I spent two nights at Universal at the Royal Pacific in 2016 and 5 nights at Port Orleans Riverside in 2017. 2 day park hopper at Universal and 5 day at Disney. I think the Disney trip was only about $750 more for 3 extra nights and 3 more days of park tickets. I was shocked by how much Universal cost for just 2 nights.

To be fair, I think most of the rides at Universal are either bad or just don't interest me and their in-park food is essentially inedible (CityWalk is good, though) so that of course affects the value proposition for me.

PorterRedkey

I like it. And especially the Coco float (Coco got a VERY loud cheer, take notice Chapek). Disneyland deserves a better parade than Soundsational (though I liked the soundtrack). That one felt cheap and probably wasn't supposed to last as long as it did. "Magic Happens" is so generic though. And I'm not sure what to think of the music. Something I'd have to see full and complete and in person when it's done.
Magic Happens, reminds me of another... not so Disney phase. One I fear will be used to describe it if MH should fail.

Casper Gutman

I'm guessing Avengers e-ticket is a Marvel themed Smuggler's Run. I'd love to be wrong and it's not a simulator. They have FOP and Smuggler's Run. You just know they're itching to keep copying it.
Amazingly, I’m a bit more hopeful here. My sense is that Avengers is akin to RotR is scope, while Spidey is the Smugglers C ticket. The problem is that once again, Disney is opening half a land.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What a huge presentation to present ... nothing. Even the one “new” thing (Poppins) was not an announcement, we know nothing about it. What a joke.

What is Disney supposed to do..... just open attractions and say "meh... if you wanted to know anything, you should have been reading wdwmagic?"

This 'dismissal' because it's been a rumor attitude is bizarre. What do you all want a company to do?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom