News D23 Expo 2019

britain

But it is a press conference beforehand and a 1 hour panel. So it is something that the mainstream press will care about and they want to hype and they have the back up for the hype.

This is an interesting puzzle. Too much hype for a regular announcement, but it is only an hour panel.

A press conference? Where was that reported?

Rodan75

It is part of the original rumor.

A press conference? Where was that reported?

It has probably been posted somewhere, but a "Secret Walt Disney Company Project" has been announced for D23:

2c0f556ec4d0e2afe45e75b51b52eab1703b0e31.jpg

The wording makes me think it'll be park related but I'm probably wrong.

No Name

At the 2017 parks presentation they started with some random cast member dance routine thing which gave the impression that they were trying to fill time. It wasn’t until 23 minutes in that they announced the first new attraction and then proceeded to barrage the crowd with the most announcements of any parks presentation. Point being I have no doubt in Disney’s ability and willingness to fill time, whether there’s much substance to the secret announcement or not.

Also I was reminded, in skimming through 2017’s presentation, that Bob Chapek kinda sounds like Mickey Mouse.

brodie999

It is part of the original rumor.
I wonder what this project could be since it's been included on the same day Universal announced their Epic Universe park? Brayden said it wasn't a fifth gate, airlines resorts or Epcot. He's been told it was something totally unspeculative and unexpected. So we'll find out in the next 2 weeks.

Stripes

I wonder what this project could be since it's been included on the same day Universal announced their Epic Universe park? Brayden said it wasn't a fifth gate, airlines resorts or Epcot. He's been told it was something totally unspeculative and unexpected. So we'll find out in the next 2 weeks.
Well...what he said was he doesn't know.

Kamikaze

The secret presentation's location doesn't indicate it's going to be anything as big as people are hoping. It's not in the main presentation area where the largest presentations are scheduled (like the parks area), so that could be an indicator of overall scale of the announcement.

The location is irrelevant because the convention isn't open yet - no guests to have to seat to watch it.

Kamikaze

Eh. With these types of presentations they can draw it out as long as they want too. Whatever it is, I bet the presentation will end 15 minutes early and they'll spend 30 minutes talking about meaningless crap. But that's just me.

The train route isn't a 'Walt Disney Company project'.

DinoInstitute

What type of project would require more than an hour presentation, especially if it's in the initial "this is what we plan to do" stage?
I think they could easily fill an hour with all of their plans for Epcot. Even without announcing anything new, there’s a pretty good amount to talk about and give more details on with Guardians, Ratatouille, Space restaurant, Reflections of China, O’Canada, and the Wonders of Life replacement. Beyond that there’s Poppins, Brazil, Spaceship Earth refurbishment, and all of the hub/spine reworking. Plus, they’ve already explicitly announced they plan to talk a lot about the parks future at the expo, so it would make sense.

HoldenC

While I still think a 5th gate is possible someday, and I would love for them to surprise us, the only theme I could see them dedicating a new park at WDW to would be Marvel. And the contortions that would have to happen to make that possible are significant and would mean that Comcast made a significant strategic mistake. I don’t believe that would happen.

The more I think about this, the more I’m thinking this is DCL related. Bookings for 2021 will be coming up soon. The first new ship is expected in 2021 (although it sounds later in 2021) that the timing could align. And work on lighthouse point should be starting soon.
Something cruise line related seems the most obvious choice. People are really over hyping themselves here.

nickys

Premium Member
A boutique park is high on their 'wants' list. Low capacity, limited number of attractions, maybe not even a full day experience. High price to match the level of service & personal attention you are supposed to get.

Somewhere like South Korea perhaps?

Their technology industry is booming, many have a good standard of living and disposable income.

I think they could easily fill an hour with all of their plans for Epcot. Even without announcing anything new, there’s a pretty good amount to talk about and give more details on with Guardians, Ratatouille, Space restaurant, Reflections of China, O’Canada, and the Wonders of Life replacement. Beyond that there’s Poppins, Brazil, Spaceship Earth refurbishment, and all of the hub/spine reworking. Plus, they’ve already explicitly announced they plan to talk a lot about the parks future at the expo, so it would make sense.

But this is a special announcement plus a panel all to itself. I don’t think that the Epcot development is sufficiently “secret” to warrant that kind of platform.

nickys

Premium Member

The last nw cruise ships were just announced in amongst everything else. Why have a special announcement this time?

Pam Hates Penguins

I could see them explaining the storyline of the Guardians coaster, but not so much on Ratatouille since we know that is just an exact copy of the Disneyland Paris version. I really hope they elaborate on how the Epcot changes are going to keep the true and original theme of what Epcot is all about.

nickys

Premium Member
I would think a boutique park would be an add-on for an already existing area (DLR, DLP, WDW, TDL).

But that’s just another gate then? I thought you meant a small, kinda exclusive park with a special ambience etc. How do you get that if you just add it to an existing resort where everyone can visit it? I guess I’m not getting the concept very well. :cautious:

Kamikaze

But that’s just another gate then? I thought you meant a small, kinda exclusive park with a special ambience etc. How do you get that if you just add it to an existing resort where everyone can visit it? I guess I’m not getting the concept very well. :cautious:

Right, its another gate. But it has a limited number of guests per day, its more expensive (please don't cry about cost) and you get a more personal experience.

You're thinking of the 'regional entertainment' ideas that they go hot and cold on over and over.

doctornick

Sea World's Discovery Cove is a reasonable example of the concept. Sure, it's another gate to go along with Sea World and Aquatica but it's more exclusive/expensive/limited access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom