Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ParkPeeker

Well, this looked cute and fun.

Probably why it got cut.

after 3:04
Here are pics of it from another thread
Edit: Oh fudge the pics didn’t transfer over, nvm

Incomudro

Any thoughts on how the 'in world' aspect of Pandora seems to work better than in Galaxy's Edge?

I haven't been to GE yet but I have a feeling that the fact that Pandora is connected to Earth via humans gives it a few get out clauses whereas Galaxy's Edge is a completely different universe (albeit in a galaxy far far away)?

Pandora is a natural setting.
It works in creating a beautiful natural setting alone.
Being in nature just works for people.
GE is an unoccupied town - so far - which comes off a strange.

ParkPeeker

About the bantha. Idk if this info is true. I’m just a noob reading stuff online

RobWDW1971

That’s pretty cool to see. The “Bantha Peoplemover” description always threw me off, but now that I’m able to visualize this attraction, it looks delightful. Shame it was cut.

Good news is now when you're in the land if you open your app and go to Galaxy's Edge>Play>Adventure>Transportation>Bantha Simulator you can experience it yourself! So immersive!

Figments Friend

Still, while we can debate the merits and flaws of various budget and design choices, and clearly opening with only half the land ready in order to boost summer and fall revenue backfired spectacularly, I think the biggest mistake Disney made was to build Galaxy's Edge in DL in the first place. It fits so well thematically and physically in DHS, whereas it just doesn't mesh with the themes of DL at all and they had to alter attractions in DL that visitors have long thought of as practically sacred. If they'd just increased the DHS budget by even 1/4 of what they spent on DL's GE instead, and WDI hadn't had to (at least allegedly) alter the DHS plans to accommodate DL's space limitations, they could have done a much better job with this.

This.

'....All of it..!' - Han Solo

Perfectly stated, and I agree 185%.

-

MickeyMinnieMom

I think the biggest mistake Disney made was to build Galaxy's Edge in DL in the first place. It fits so well thematically and physically in DHS, whereas it just doesn't mesh with the themes of DL at all and they had to alter attractions in DL that visitors have long thought of as practically sacred. If they'd just increased the DHS budget by even 1/4 of what they spent on DL's GE instead, and WDI hadn't had to (at least allegedly) alter the DHS plans to accommodate DL's space limitations, they could have done a much better job with this.
While it's a more natural fit in DHS, I don't think the DL location is a problem in the least. I don't believe that people are wandering around DL thinking "you know, I'd go to SWGE but it just doesn't fit with DL thematically". Or locals thinking: "I'd head to DL but they really screwed the place up thematically by adding SWGE." I think the soft attendance will end up being much ado about nothing. My guess is that it had to do with people being scared away by promise of massive crowds, AP blackouts, and people waiting for RotR. I don't see fit in DL as being a factor -- even if it meant altering other beloved attractions.

Any thoughts on how the 'in world' aspect of Pandora seems to work better than in Galaxy's Edge?

I haven't been to GE yet but I have a feeling that the fact that Pandora is connected to Earth via humans gives it a few get out clauses whereas Galaxy's Edge is a completely different universe (albeit in a galaxy far far away)?
I think it's an issue of natural setting versus almost a "city" environment. What I think is missing in SWGE is more ACTIVITY on the streets -- more characters, random aliens walking around maybe, a band playing periodically somewhere, etc. I maintain that it's NOT music that's missing. That would detract from the realism in the same way that it would in Pandora.

MickeyMinnieMom

So work was being really slow this morning so I slapped together this test of adding score to the background of the land. This was just a quick edit so please be gentle!

My personal 2 cents: works for a promo video but would detract from the land itself. Except for music on entry to SWGE. Like I keep saying (sorry -- I'm done now!), what's missing is more actual activity in the land -- not music IMO from having been there a couple of times. That would take away from the realism of the environment.

Movielover

My personal 2 cents: works for a promo video but would detract from the land itself. Except for music on entry to SWGE. Like I keep saying (sorry -- I'm done now!), what's missing is more actual activity in the land -- not music IMO from having been there a couple of times. That would take away from the realism of the environment.

Like I said, just a test to see what it may sound like. I think both music and a lot more kinetic activity would be great!

MickeyMinnieMom

Like I said, just a test to see what it may sound like. I think both music and a lot more kinetic activity would be great!
All a matter of opinion, of course! :) Have you had a chance to visit DL SWGE? Unless it was from a band of some sort playing live, piped in music would really mess with the feeling of REALLY being on Batuu. It would feel like you're in a theme park. Obviously, we all KNOW where we are (!!!), but for as close to true immersion as possible, I think it would be a mistake. But I do think they need more hustle and bustle to add to the realism.

Movielover

All a matter of opinion, of course! :) Have you had a chance to visit DL SWGE? Unless it was from a band of some sort playing live, piped in music would really mess with the feeling of REALLY being on Batuu. It would feel like you're in a theme park. Obviously, we all KNOW where we are (!!!), but for as close to true immersion as possible, I think it would be a mistake. But I do think they need more hustle and bustle to add to the realism.

No but I have been to both Harry Potter lands in the U.S. and it feels pretty immersive having that music in there...

But that my opinion. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom