CM Attacked at ToT

jaklgreen

Never been on a cruise... there is a difference with FR and FP.. (at least to me), one shows where you have been several times today, other can show where you are at all times. One I can opt out, the other I can not...

Did you send you DNA to 23andMe or other such? I have not and will not..

No, I won't give my DNA up for something stupid like that. I actually know where my family is from and we can trace it back many generations. Mine would just come back as Eastern European. Don't go to London either. I read that they are using FR in some parts of the city.

lazyboy97o

Have you not cruised before? The cruise lines use FR for when they take your pictures on the ship. I doubt that if WDW has FR that they are using it for anything nefarious. But if they have it to use to track down people like this woman, then I am OK with it. I mean, they already know that you are in the park and your MB picks up where you are so what's the difference.
Facial recognition does not need nefarious practices to be problematic. People being falsely flagged would not be a good story for Disney. Imagine being arrested because the system says you are this woman.

celluloid

If I discovered they used facial recognition, I would never go there again.... we already have social media tracking..
facial recognition can be swapped and traded among corporations as well as passed on to track location in real time...
Facial recognition does not need nefarious practices to be problematic. People being falsely flagged would not be a good story for Disney. Imagine being arrested because the system says you are this woman.

Facial recognition for ticket purposes and facial recongition for personal identify are very different. The same way a biometric scan of a finger is not the same as a detailed finger print. Disney itself also does not have the authority to arrest anyone, so that was quite a jump. Believe me, Disney already uses facial recognition in multiple ways. Some should be quite obvious. Facial tracking is even a form of facial recognition and that is all over property with augmented reality.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Facial recognition for ticket purposes and facial recongition for personal identify are very different. The same way a biometric scan of a finger is not the same as a detailed finger print. Disney itself also does not have the authority to arrest anyone, so that was quite a jump. Believe me, Disney already uses facial recognition in multiple ways. Some should be quite obvious. Facial tracking is even a form of facial recognition and that is all over property with augmented reality.
If someone is falsely flagged, all it takes is a quick check of an ID to confirm that. Disney ain't that stupid...

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Seriously, dude, you gotta quit using this meme until it's corrected with the right quote -

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
2x69q9.jpg

Tom Morrow

Adam the Woo was caught on property and banned a few years back for going backstage, filming it and posting it on youtube. When he described it, it didn't sound like facial recognition software but rather security being told to be on the lookout for a guy looking like him and grabbing him when spotting him.
He had tweeted that he was going to DHS and the DHS entrance security team was told to look out for him.

lindawdw

It's too bad that the CM wouldn't press charges because IMO the woman should have been arrested for assault and battery. Between this incident and the fight that happened in Toon Town at DL last month, Disney really needs to step up it's game in the security end of things. I've never seen guests lash out and behave this badly in all the years that I've been going to WDW which is since 1975!

ImperfectPixie

It's too bad that the CM wouldn't press charges because IMO the woman should have been arrested for assault and battery. Between this incident and the fight that happened in Toon Town at DL last month, Disney really needs to step up it's game in the security end of things. I've never seen guests lash out and behave this badly in all the years that I've been going to WDW which is since 1975!
Disney certainly doesn't have a good track record when it comes to enforcing their own rules.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney certainly doesn't have a good track record when it comes to enforcing their own rules.
... on guests. On CM's, however, they're pretty strict. And, in the CM's own statement, she said she was pushing the woman's hands from the podium -- a violation of "never touch a guest."

Might shade her reasoning in not pressing charges.

ImperfectPixie

... on guests. On CM's, however, they're pretty strict. And, in the CM's own statement, she said she was pushing the woman's hands from the podium -- a violation of "never touch a guest."

Might shade her reasoning in not pressing charges.
Excellent point. I know more than a few CM's - but here's a question: while we have been told in this very thread that the podium in question had no controls the accused could have messed with that would have endangered other guests, what if - heaven forbid - the opposite had been true? The accused obviously didn't give two poops whether she was endangering other guests by pressing buttons...I would hope Disney wouldn't expect a CM actually operating a ride to step aside and wait for security were a guest to attempt to mess with actual ride controls.

Jedi Stitch

What I found interesting at the end of the article where attempts to make contact based on the report phone number the answering party said wrong number. I certainly hope they are just telling the press wrong number and not actually a wrong number as they would add falsifying a report to this incident.

Driver

So what can really keep her from ever getting into the parks again? I mean, she can book a reservation under a different name with someone and not have to show any identification. Nothing is foolproof, but does Disney really have a way to keep her out?
Oh they most certainly do! For a lot more dangerous reasons than I can share here. Ever here of facial recognition technology? The ID or other tricks can't evade this system.

Driver

Which workers at WDW are unionized? I know that Florida is a right to work state and most likely the union is not the strongest--at least that was my experience as a teacher in Florida.
Only management is not union. And there are multiple unions it depends on your line of work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom