working out for Disney

epcotisbest

Just checking in....we had a great first day at Disney, and a pretty awful one yesterday. I think we may be done with Animal Kingdom. We're going back Friday, but there's not much that can redeem it for us at this point. We just have terrible terrible luck there.

Oh, that is too bad. We love AK and can spend the whole day there just exploring and enjoying the shows and animals. Now, we have never been in the summer, only cooler months, so I have no idea what it is like in July, and with summer crowds.

Last edited:

KCheatle

Just checking in. :) I posted here a couple weeks ago about working out for WDW. I've had a chronic bursitis (left hip pain) since my last trip to WDW in November, 2018. I have been trying to stretch and strengthen ever since in preparation for my upcoming November, 2019 trip. The pain is not completely gone. However, I feel like little by little it's getting better. I've lost just a bit over 10 lbs in the last month with working out and sticking to a low carb diet. No sure if the weight loss is the reason it's feeling better? Single leg exercises do not irritate it as much. I've been able to power walk at some pretty intense inclines without pain. I still get a dull pain when I cross my left leg over my right leg. And, last night I had some pain after doing a lot of side-to-side shuffling at tennis. But, I feel like it's about 95% better today after some massaging last night and aleve today. I talked to the doc, and told him I still had some issues. He told me I could come in about 10 days before the trip for an injection if I was worried it would flare up while we were there. It's nice to know I have that as a back up, but I really, really don't want to put a band-aide on this. I want it to be genuinely fixed. Just gotta keep working, stretching, icing, massaging, and praying! :)

epcotisbest

Just checking in. :) I posted here a couple weeks ago about working out for WDW. I've had a chronic bursitis (left hip pain) since my last trip to WDW in November, 2018. I have been trying to stretch and strengthen ever since in preparation for my upcoming November, 2019 trip. The pain is not completely gone. However, I feel like little by little it's getting better. I've lost just a bit over 10 lbs in the last month with working out and sticking to a low carb diet. No sure if the weight loss is the reason it's feeling better? Single leg exercises do not irritate it as much. I've been able to power walk at some pretty intense inclines without pain. I still get a dull pain when I cross my left leg over my right leg. And, last night I had some pain after doing a lot of side-to-side shuffling at tennis. But, I feel like it's about 95% better today after some massaging last night and aleve today. I talked to the doc, and told him I still had some issues. He told me I could come in about 10 days before the trip for an injection if I was worried it would flare up while we were there. It's nice to know I have that as a back up, but I really, really don't want to put a band-aide on this. I want it to be genuinely fixed. Just gotta keep working, stretching, icing, massaging, and praying! :)

Congrats on the 10lbs weight loss. This thread is a good place for lots of positive encouragement, but has been a little less active than usual lately.
Do you have a higher goal for more weight loss? I do the low-carb thing because I have to due to a type 2 diabetes diagnosis a few years ago. It is tough because there is so much temptation, and I am not as strict as I need to be.
The key for me is variety, kinda like the eggs, sausage cheese, peppers and salsa I posted. I could do just eggs and sausage every day, but I have to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting. I find the combination of walking and low-carb helps me not just with weight loss, but with keeping my sugar numbers down. Of course, the stricter I am with carb consumption and the more dedicated I get to regular walking helps a lot with the blood sugar numbers...that and meds. Man I take a lot of meds.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Just curious -- can you doctor give you a cortizone shot, or does that not work for bursitis in your hip? I had a shot (months ago) in one of my knees and it really helped, but I don't know anything about hips.

KCheatle

Congrats on the 10lbs weight loss. This thread is a good place for lots of positive encouragement, but has been a little less active than usual lately.
Do you have a higher goal for more weight loss? I do the low-carb thing because I have to due to a type 2 diabetes diagnosis a few years ago. It is tough because there is so much temptation, and I am not as strict as I need to be.
The key for me is variety, kinda like the eggs, sausage cheese, peppers and salsa I posted. I could do just eggs and sausage every day, but I have to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting. I find the combination of walking and low-carb helps me not just with weight loss, but with keeping my sugar numbers down. Of course, the stricter I am with carb consumption and the more dedicated I get to regular walking helps a lot with the blood sugar numbers...that and meds. Man I take a lot of meds.

I do have a higher weight loss goal, but more than anything I want to lose fat and inches. I’ve been doing cardio with weight training, and have put on some muscle. So, I’m not actually sure what my “goal weight” is. It’s more of a “goal size.” Thanks for the input on the low carb thing. I am definitely one to get stuck on one thing for awhile. I’ll have to force myself to switch it up so I don’t get discouraged from boring food...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I do have a higher weight loss goal, but more than anything I want to lose fat and inches. I’ve been doing cardio with weight training, and have put on some muscle. So, I’m not actually sure what my “goal weight” is. It’s more of a “goal size.” Thanks for the input on the low carb thing. I am definitely one to get stuck on one thing for awhile. I’ll have to force myself to switch it up so I don’t get discouraged from boring food...

@epcotisbest has some great food ideas. He's really creative, especially when cooking on the grill. I love it when he posts his food pictures! :hungry:

HouCuseChickie

Just checking in...

@epcotisbest LOVE Sanibel! Probably the best shelling I've ever experienced! Enjoy!

@Songbird76 I'm sorry AK didn't go well. We always have off days there as well. It's a beautiful park, but for whatever reason, our best Disney days are never in AK. Hope things go back to being magical like the first day!

@KCheatle That's awesome with the weight loss. I can totally understand not wanting a band-aid for something where you want a permanent fix. Changing up the food aspect can be fun though. There are ust so may recipes and ideas out there.

As for us, we've been busy and I think everyone is exhausted and a bit homesick. Still, they are going to wish they were out traveling around when we're all back at work or in school. I was able to get into the gym these last couple of days and plan to through the end of the trip. I decided not to run in the places that didn't have hotel gyms. We're already walking and hiking a lot, but in the first place, there were just too many wildlife and traffic concerns. In the other...we were out in the middle of nowhere and it really creeped me out. I swear, it felt like we were in some post-apocalyptic movie. Still, we've been having fun and seeing/doing so many interesting things. I'll be doing a non-Disney TR afterwards., since I've taken thousands of pictures already! I'm days behind on uploading to Flickr, so I've been backing up my pics on a second memory card in addition to my laptop. I guess I should get some sleep...gym tomorrow morning and then moving on to the next parks!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I do come up with some weird stuff sometimes. Remember the low-carb ham sandwich? No bread anywhere in sight. This was good, might try it again sometime.

View attachment 393192

:) Ha! Looks good without the bread.

As I thought about your picture above, I realized it's really no different than say, a canape, for party food trays, you know? I mean, if you cut that up into small triangles, and put a toothpick in each to "hold" them together, well those would be some tasty hors d'oeuvres right there!! You go have yourself a party now!! :joyfull:

epcotisbest

I was right, the heat and humidity returned big time. I was zapped after only about two miles at a brisk pace this morning. We are supposed to go camping this weekend at our favorite state park, but the forecast is calling for scattered evening thunderstorms, so I'll probably cancel the campsite reservations.
It used to be the appeal of nature and the lakeside setting in the mountains outweighed the hassle of camping in the summer and in the rain, but at my age, the comfort of home is currently more appealing.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We have had a few days of lower than normal summer temps, but best of all, much lower than normal humidity levels. This made for very pleasant walking weather, and it seems to give me a higher level of enthusiasm for upping the distance and pace. Heat and humidity are returning this week.

The "love" is for the cooler temps and the uptick in your walking energy. I get the same way. Yesterday was higher humidity here, so I also had cut my walk down to 30 minutes. But even more than the humidity, the bugs were driving me nuts. It's those really pesky little ones that love to fly around your face and drive you crazy!! :banghead: I hate bugs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom