working out for Disney

epcotisbest

Well, here I am up early again after struggling to get some sleep. I woke up around 3 a.m. and then tossed and turned until about 3:25 when I gave up on returning to sleep. I have an ambien prescription and they sometimes help, but not this time.
It is currently 78 degrees outside in the middle of the night and by the time it is light enough to walk, even first light, it will probably be well into the 80s and those early morning temps, with humidity creeping up too, makes for a shorter walk, at least for me. The local weather predictors are forecasting highs in the mid to upper 90s this week with a heat index of 100-105.
That's what we get, living in the south, but at least in our area we do have four very distinct seasons, so soon I can complain about having to rake all the falling leaves, then later, complain about the cold!

"Did you sleep well?"
"No, I made a few mistakes."
- Steven Wright.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Has anyone had any success with using Green Tea supplements or Apple Cider Vinegar to help curb appetite?

My appetite has been out of control since I joined the gym. I bought a bottle of green tea supplements from Walgreens for $10 to see if taking it would help with the afternoon munchies. Anyone tried this before?

ddbowdoin

While working out is wonderful for the health, don’t kid yourself... it starts with what you put on your plate.

Jillian Michaels has a bad past with Biggest Loser and the reality of lowering metabolic resting rate. Those folks continued to work out and gained all their weight back because you can’t eat 1100 calories and maintain a high metabolic rate.

StarWarsGirl

While working out is wonderful for the health, don’t kid yourself... it starts with what you put on your plate.

Jillian Michaels has a bad past with Biggest Loser and the reality of lowering metabolic resting rate. Those folks continued to work out and gained all their weight back because you can’t eat 1100 calories and maintain a high metabolic rate.
All due respect, I disagree. While yes, you should be eating healthy, I think exercise is more important.

I had my thyroid removed earlier this year. Then I had to have radioactive iodine to remove the remaining thyroid tissue. I was probably eating better than I ever had before because you have to do a low iodine diet, which means you basically have to cook everything yourself and can't do anything processed. I didn't start actually feeling good until I started going to a gym. I went to Hershey Park and couldn't lift myself into the seat.

Since joining a gym, my asthma had improved, I feel better, and I think I look better. I'm enjoying wearing sleeveless shirts with pride.

Not that dieting can't be great, but if you want to physically be able to do things, exercise is extremely important.

Also...
exercise-gives-you-andorphins-endorphins-makesyou-happy-happypeopleyust-dont-shoot-22037616.png

StarWarsGirl

Has anyone had any success with using Green Tea supplements or Apple Cider Vinegar to help curb appetite?

My appetite has been out of control since I joined the gym. I bought a bottle of green tea supplements from Walgreens for $10 to see if taking it would help with the afternoon munchies. Anyone tried this before?
So far so good. I mean, it could be a nice example of the placebo effect, but I had a pack of crackers as a snack before leaving work and then ate less dinner than usual. This morning I was hungry after breakfast, so I took one and grabbed a banana and bottle of water from our deli. Instead of a rice crispy treats out of the vending machine like I really wanted... *Sigh* Maybe on Friday.

HouCuseChickie

My friend swears by apple cider vinegar and green tea. I tried it for me and noticed no differences with my appetite, but he's found that both keep him better satiated.

That being said, I find that my appetite spikes whenever I add intensity or more time/reps. I'm trying to approach it with the "my body is saying I need more fuel because I'm doing more." So, just trying to keep some healthier snacks around for said fuel in case I'm hit with the boosted workout munchies.

StarWarsGirl

My friend swears by apple cider vinegar and green tea. I tried it for me and noticed no differences with my appetite, but he's found that both keep him better satiated.

That being said, I find that my appetite spikes whenever I add intensity or more time/reps. I'm trying to approach it with the "my body is saying I need more fuel because I'm doing more." So, just trying to keep some healthier snacks around for said fuel in case I'm hit with the boosted workout munchies.
That's the hard part for me. Most of the healthy stuff has nuts in it, and I'm allergic. So I usually end up snacking on granola bars, Ritz crackers, or Goldfish. Or I can go to the deli and grab a piece of fruit, which will keep me held over for a while.

So far so good, but again, I am a firm believer in the placebo effect. Even if it is, whatever as long as it works.

HouCuseChickie

Feeling like a crazy lady of late. Things have been pretty chaotic ever since we got back from vacation. The kids' first day of school was yesterday, so it was a weekend of getting in last minute stuff for them with friends, last minute supplies and shoe shopping, and even some softball stuff...since that's starting back up too. Oh, and the older one's bday is this week, so I have to go into cake mode tomorrow!

I've been on top of my workouts and running training (my 8 mile run on Saturday was brutal) and gradually getting back to normal eating after vacation. We had a potluck on Saturday where I brought a baby kale and quinoa salad, just so I had something I knew I could consume. I threw in some turkey bacon, sunflower seeds, and dried tart cherries along with a dressing made with balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, honey and olive oil.

I have to get in a training run tonight and I'm dreading it. The heat is getting really old (I know...it's August in Houston) + my back is hating me right now. I got in my morning workout without issue, but I was out watching the Perseids last night and I think I sat in an odd position for too long. I went to get dressed this morning after my shower and my back decided that putting on pants was just too much :oops::eek:

HouCuseChickie

That's the hard part for me. Most of the healthy stuff has nuts in it, and I'm allergic. So I usually end up snacking on granola bars, Ritz crackers, or Goldfish. Or I can go to the deli and grab a piece of fruit, which will keep me held over for a while.

So far so good, but again, I am a firm believer in the placebo effect. Even if it is, whatever as long as it works.

My older one is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, so we try and stay nut free at home. I know there can be a cross contamination risk, but we try sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (rinsed) as a nice alternative. I've also found rice based crackers that are less caloric that things like Ritz. While I make my own, I've found that hummus with veggies is a good one to help fill me up when I need a snack.

Definitely! In fact, he and I have both discussed the placebo effect with this and if it works and it's nothing harmful, might as well keep it up.

ddbowdoin

We can disagree but that’s just not sound logic and is essentially why we are in the crisis we are currently in.

We’ve been told to eliminate fat from our diets and yet we have pervasive diseases that are all derived from nutrition... ie obesity and diabetes.

Even the language, “dieting is important” is flawed. That entails a temporary mindset, like “im doing this (blank) until I reach (blank) and then I’ll be able to go back to eating Doritos and pizza “with moderation”. This puts you into the trap of thinking you need to bang out an hour of cardio a day and sweat your butt off while eating steamed broccoli and chicken breast.

I guarantee if I took two people and person A followed this flaw model of following calories in / calories out and exercised a bunch while following a Western Diet and person B) just eliminated carbs and sugar without working out then person B would lose more weight, have better markers, and would be more sustainable for long term.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

We can disagree but that’s just not sound logic and is essentially why we are in the crisis we are currently in.

We’ve been told to eliminate fat from our diets and yet we have pervasive diseases that are all derived from nutrition... ie obesity and diabetes.

Even the language, “dieting is important” is flawed. That entails a temporary mindset, like “im doing this (blank) until I reach (blank) and then I’ll be able to go back to eating Doritos and pizza “with moderation”. This puts you into the trap of thinking you need to bang out an hour of cardio a day and sweat your butt off while eating steamed broccoli and chicken breast.

I guarantee if I took two people and person A followed this flaw model of following calories in / calories out and exercised a bunch while following a Western Diet and person B) just eliminated carbs and sugar without working out then person B would lose more weight, have better markers, and would be more sustainable for long term.
Again, no offense, but to your first point, isn't the Keto based on eliminating carbs and doing a high fat diet? It's very, very bad for those with a history of high cholesterol. Moderation is better. Again, I'm glad it worked for you, but it's a poor way to lose weight for many. Mediterranean diets are definitely better, as are moderation diets (South Beach, Weight Watchers).

Also, it's basically been proven that exercise is essential. You cannot be a healthy eater but a couch potato and still expect to be healthy. Exercise isn't just about losing weight; it's also about maintaining your health overall, including heart health, cardiovascular health, and reducing the risk of disease.

Also, though we are always happy to have new people here, I'm not sure why you are on a workout thread when you clearly are critical of it.

ddbowdoin

One of the problems i see in this thread and so many is that people are being lied to or at best, misled.

We have this perception that bacon and eggs is unhealthy so I’ll grab a granola bar. Go read the back of a granola bar, you may as well eat a snickers

ddbowdoin

Again, no offense, but to your first point, isn't the Keto based on eliminating carbs and doing a high fat diet? It's very, very bad for those with a history of high cholesterol. Moderation is better. Again, I'm glad it worked for you, but it's a poor way to lose weight for many. Mediterranean diets are definitely better, as are moderation diets (South Beach, Weight Watchers).

Also, it's basically been proven that exercise is essential. You cannot be a healthy eater but a couch potato and still expect to be healthy. Exercise isn't just about losing weight; it's also about maintaining your health overall, including heart health, cardiovascular health, and reducing the risk of disease.

Also, though we are always happy to have new people here, I'm not sure why you are on a workout thread when you clearly are critical of it.

Yes and no... cholesterol markers go up but you can’t just look at those raw numbers. An advanced lipid panel will show the diameter of cholesterol molecules. If your logic is that you’ll continue eating the way you do and just take statins to control your body, have fun.

I’m not against working out... but nutrition has to come first, period.

StarWarsGirl

Yes and no... cholesterol markers go up but you can’t just look at those raw numbers. An advanced lipid panel will show the diameter of cholesterol molecules. If your logic is that you’ll continue eating the way you do and just take statins to control your body, have fun.

I’m not against working out... but nutrition has to come first, period.
Question: what out of what I said makes you think I'm eating poorly at all? Or what my weight is; I have no pictures up of myself?

ddbowdoin

Question: what out of what I said makes you think I'm eating poorly at all? Or what my weight is; I have no pictures up of myself?
We are on an online forum... if I was personally addressing you I would DM you. When I use “you” in a thread it’s the proverbial “you”. It can applied to anyone reading this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom