News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

wdwjmp239

Hey there! Looks like you don't share all the same reasons for loving the parks that we do, and that's ok. I certainly don't like being talked down to so blatantly, but I sure don't have a problem with differing opinions.

To us, the "sightlines and all that" are part of what make Disney different. If you're going to ignore the things that have set them apart from everyone else for the past 50 years, the things that have been so meticulously tended to and planned out, then you certainly don't need to be paying the Disney premium.

Yes, I am being blatant. Yes, we are entitled to our opinions. Yes, people to go Disney for different reasons whether its the overall ambiance of the park, the entertainment value, sight lines, the artificial smells produced while walking down Main Street, whatever it is.....there's a reason why you have the continuing need to pay the prices Disney wants for their park passes, right? But, I'm (I speak for myself) not going to Disney to worry about sight lines and things of that nature. If something looks out of place at Disney, is whatever that something is going to keep out of MK? If it's a minor thing - probably not. But, if it's like what MK did to the Castle for the 25th anniversary? Then yeah...I'm going to avoid the park like the plague. This was a little excessive....I'm not gonna lie. Good in theory, but poor in execution.

Awakening

Pretty sure people won't settle for an obvious show building being visible within the MK. I know they went the extra mile when they realized part of the mermaid show building would be visible. So if they can't mask it with the canopy, they can at least add theming or Tron-esque paint designs.

The MK should be held to a higher standard than any other park at wdw IMO.

That's the thing, no one knows if or how Disney might mask the show building. People are acting like no matter where you are in the park, you'll see the Tron coaster, and that's just not true.

michmousefan

I don't sit on Splash Mountain, see the castle and go "oh no, my sightlines."

That's your opinion, I'll wait to see the finished product of not only Tron, but the entire Tomorrowland redo, instead of complaining years before it's built.
Heck, when I'm on Splash, and the boat makes that turn to perfectly line up with the castle directly ahead, in line with the section of the flume ahead of you, I marvel at "wow, they certainly designed this well..." I guess one person's sightline delight is another's dismay.

Timothy_Q

Heck, when I'm on Splash, and the boat makes that turn to perfectly line up with the castle directly ahead, in line with the section of the flume ahead of you, I marvel at "wow, they certainly designed this well..." I guess one person's sightline delight is another's dismay.
The problem isn't seeing Tron from beyond Tomorrowland, the problem is seeing the Tron show building

flynnibus

Premium Member
Serious?
1) If you are a Tron fan, you're excited about this
2) If you like an exciting coaster in a park that can use another thriller (last thriller was built in the 90's), you're excited about this
3) Nothing had to be sacrificed (except the land) in order for this to be built (looking at you GoTG), so that is exciting/refreshing
4) Anyone who has ridden this at the Shanghai Park, will be excited about this

Should I go on, or just let you stew in your negativity?

Nothing upsets people more than a big build up... to an anti-climatic finish. That's the TRON coaster for you.

Remember everyone whining about how short seven dwarves is? Disney said... Hold my beer.

Mac Tonight

Hi, sorry, I'm gonna be the stupid question asker here...

But they're not done installing the track are they? I mean, there's gotta be more to it... right?
It just seems like it kind of stopped and now I see they're starting on the building walls.

Thanks!

gerarar

Premium Member
Hi, sorry, I'm gonna be the stupid question asker here...

But they're not done installing the track are they? I mean, there's gotta be more to it... right?
It just seems like it kind of stopped and now I see they're starting on the building walls.

Thanks!
The indoor portion of the track is finished, hence why they're moving onto the showbuilding now. As for the outside portions, I believe the concrete footings are in place (from recent pics), but the track has yet to still be installed. In the recent aerials by Bio, you can see the rest of the track staged somewhere backstaged on property.

Mac Tonight

The indoor portion of the track is finished, hence why they're moving onto the showbuilding now. As for the outside portions, I believe the concrete footings are in place (from recent pics), but the track has yet to still be installed. In the recent aerials by Bio, you can see the rest of the track staged somewhere backstaged on property.
OK thanks. That's what I was thinking. I mean, I already know its on the shorter end of roller coasters, but if that was all there was, I was gonna be even more disappointed.

gerarar

Premium Member
OK thanks. That's what I was thinking. I mean, I already know its on the shorter end of roller coasters, but if that was all there was, I was gonna be even more disappointed.

Just for reference, I believe this is where the indoor portion begins/resumes after from your little excursion outside. So everything before this would be outdoor track/under the canopy.

matt9112

to be clear the coaster is very short and is nothing special from a coaster stand point. its biggest novelty is the seating that sort of went the way of the dinosaur from old steeplechase coasters. im not saying it wont be fun im excited but expectations need to be kept grounded.

Bocabear

to be clear the coaster is very short and is nothing special from a coaster stand point. its biggest novelty is the seating that sort of went the way of the dinosaur from old steeplechase coasters. im not saying it wont be fun im excited but expectations need to be kept grounded.
The launch is very thrilling...... the rest of the outdoor portion is a throwaway... just done to look cool from outside but adds nothing to the experience. The ride would be better had the entire thing been withing the interior TRON grid...
It's a fun ride... It is just not as amazing as I was anticipating... we did go on it 4 times in a row...so it was certainly fun.

EricsBiscuit

MK’s skylines have been a cluster since 1975 and Tron is far superior to Space Mountain. I see no issue with this addition. It’s not like Disney would have spent the money on a kick posterior non ip e ticket in Adventureland. They probably would have killed the Liberty Belle and TSI instead.

Missing20K

Which is why it's annoying that after 50 years of Disney keeping sightlines at MK largely intact they now are willing to accept a massive, undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park.

There was a time it was expected that THEY would worry about the out of place details so they could remove them before guests encountered them.

Why now are we expected to simply ignore them when the very premise of their business is creating a rich and cohesive experience unencumbered by the intrusion of details that break the illusion?
A little louder, please. For those in the back.

wdwjmp239

Which is why it's annoying that after 50 years of Disney keeping sightlines at MK largely intact they now are willing to accept a massive, undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park.

There was a time it was expected that THEY would worry about the out of place details so they could remove them before guests encountered them.

Why now are we expected to simply ignore them when the very premise of their business is creating a rich and cohesive experience unencumbered by the intrusion of details that break the illusion?

It's called "evolution". The park will eventually have to break construction standards to accommodate for new attractions whether or not those standards fall in place and make an attraction blend into the scenery. For example, take a look at Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios - the reason why it's designed the way it is so that it blends in with the architecture of Morocco at Epcot. If the construction standards did not call for such a design to be built like that, is that going to deter from your experience because ToT is designed differently than Morocco's architecture?

And, here's another question for you - how are you even worried about sight lines when you're at ground level anyways? You're going to be able to see what's in front of you anyways - not what's behind another attraction. So, if I'm walking around Frontierland at MK towards Splash Mountain and turn around - I don't think I'm going to see the "undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park" in Tomorrowland and don't even go there with the "view from atop Splash Mountain" because when I'm at the top of Splash, the only thing I care about is that drop. The buildings in the distance? Don't care.

Tomorrowland needs another thrill ride anyways to help with the wait times at Space Mountain. Tomorrowland has been in a state of status quo since the mid 90s. I mean, other than the removal of Alien Encounter (which was more of a thrill show than a ride), it would be cool to see Tomorrowland get a refresh/update for MK's 50th Anniversary. I know I'm pretty excited about Tron. :)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Nothing upsets people more than a big build up... to an anti-climatic finish. That's the TRON coaster for you.

Remember everyone whining about how short seven dwarves is? Disney said... Hold my beer.
I get it, it’s short and their are sightline issues, but it’s ok to still be excited about it, no? I am a TRON junkie, cut me some slack.😎

lazyboy97o

It's called "evolution". The park will eventually have to break construction standards to accommodate for new attractions whether or not those standards fall in place and make an attraction blend into the scenery. For example, take a look at Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios - the reason why it's designed the way it is so that it blends in with the architecture of Morocco at Epcot. If the construction standards did not call for such a design to be built like that, is that going to deter from your experience because ToT is designed differently than Morocco's architecture?

And, here's another question for you - how are you even worried about sight lines when you're at ground level anyways? You're going to be able to see what's in front of you anyways - not what's behind another attraction. So, if I'm walking around Frontierland at MK towards Splash Mountain and turn around - I don't think I'm going to see the "undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park" in Tomorrowland and don't even go there with the "view from atop Splash Mountain" because when I'm at the top of Splash, the only thing I care about is that drop. The buildings in the distance? Don't care.

Tomorrowland needs another thrill ride anyways to help with the wait times at Space Mountain. Tomorrowland has been in a state of status quo since the mid 90s. I mean, other than the removal of Alien Encounter (which was more of a thrill show than a ride), it would be cool to see Tomorrowland get a refresh/update for MK's 50th Anniversary. I know I'm pretty excited about Tron. :)
Huh? The Hollywood Tower Hotel is not the same because of exactly what you said. You don’t see a warehouse sticking up over the back of the Morocco Pavilion. Are you also claiming that an 82’ tall building cannot be seen from the ground?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom