Expedition Everest effects status watch

Phroobar

DAK Yeti is laughable. You fly pass a large static figure in the dark. I wonder how often people notice it is even there anymore. At least at Disneyland, you see Harold moving and acting menacing. Heck even the stupid alligator AA at Shanghai has been working longer than the Yeti.

The Empress Lilly

A few times in this thread I've mentioned how the landscaping around the track was changed drastically between 2012 and 2013. Originally the track was lined with tall, skinny trees and bamboo patches, as seen in this video:

The trees appear even fuller in this video, but it isn't as wide of a viewing angle:

In 2012 a harsh and quick decision was made to cut down all of these tall trees for safety reasons. Unfortunately, this meant there were several months where the track was almost barren and void of landscaping. By the end of 2013 it had mostly been replaced by smaller bushes and shrubs. Later, even more were added. After being allowed to grow in, it now looks really good today, perhaps better than it originally did. Those tall skinny trees did add a sense of depth, however.

Here is a modern video (ignore Robb Alvey's obnoxious voice)

I wish I could find a video from the several months were the track was void of landscaping (you could even see the maintenance building easily) but its difficult.
Nice picture essay!

The devil is in the details. What a difference landscaping makes. My favourite is the second video. The view from the little hill to the waterfall is just spectacular. 0:25 mark in second video. It shows just how trees can create depth, framing, composition and reality. (A lesson forgotten to its most devastating effect in the MK from Town Square to the hub)

sallyslater

I recently saw on a Disney Wiki page that the “bird” was originally supposed to fly over the stopped riders?¿?¿ Can anyone confirm this? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before.

Also, when the bird IS there, does it do anything? I’ve watched many videos and it doesn’t appear to move at all.

KBLovedDisney

I recently saw on a Disney Wiki page that the “bird” was originally supposed to fly over the stopped riders?¿?¿ Can anyone confirm this? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before.

Also, when the bird IS there, does it do anything? I’ve watched many videos and it doesn’t appear to move at all.
It doesn't really do anything except be a bird on a stick that occasionally moves back and forth.

sallyslater

Forgive a new poster for asking a question that's undoubtedly in a FAQ somewhere, but what's the deal with the Yeti being in A or B mode? I've never ridden Everest (will do so in November) but I've got the basic idea of what the ride is like.

The yeti used to swoop down at the riders when the attraction first opened (“A mode”), but overtime the swooping motion of the yeti supposedly did damage to the structure of the mountain. Now, the yeti is in “B mode” which means it is permanently non-moving and has strobe lights flashing around him. :(

lazyboy97o

The yeti used to swoop down at the riders when the attraction first opened (“A mode”), but overtime the swooping motion of the yeti supposedly did damage to the structure of the mountain. Now, the yeti is in “B mode” which means it is permanently non-moving and has strobe lights flashing around him. :(
FYI, you’re answering a question from 12 years ago. The yeti was also not causing damage to the structure of the mountain. And since it’s a story I’m guessing you’ve read, the yeti can also rather easily be removed from the mountain and has been removed from the mountain in the past without closing the ride.

Epcot_Imagineer

sallyslater

FYI, you’re answering a question from 12 years ago. The yeti was also not causing damage to the structure of the mountain. And since it’s a story I’m guessing you’ve read, the yeti can also rather easily be removed from the mountain and has been removed from the mountain in the past without closing the ride.

I didn’t know it had been removed from the mountain before!! That makes it even more upsetting that it’s still stuck in “B mode”.

And yeah I knew that I was answering a question that has been answered many times before on this thread and others, but I figured that the answer had been buried deep within the thread and I just wanted to help a fellow forum member out!

Epcot_Imagineer

You wonder if they could just reprogram the yeti to fix this :( but anyways thanks for clearing up my misconception!
The problem now is that the Yeti Animatronic itself is damaged. Any movement made would damage it further. The only solution that seems to be tossed around is a complete replacement of the figure, but that's a good chunk of change and because of that it hasn't happened!
And yep, glad I could inform! The idea that the mountain/base/foundation is damaged is spread rampantly by Disney YouTubers and others, so I don't blame you for thinking that!

Last edited:

NormC

You wonder if they could just reprogram the yeti to fix this :( but anyways thanks for clearing up my misconception!
They did test an alternate profile and it did work but as posted above in order to continue to use this new program there still needs to be some repairs done to the animatronic.

NormC

I haven’t noticed this discussed here but does anybody agree with Everest being extremely awesome at night?, since the park was mostly closed at night for years I think people may not realize what this thing is like at night....
It is a lot of fun at night.

Tom Morrow

I haven’t noticed this discussed here but does anybody agree with Everest being extremely awesome at night?, since the park was mostly closed at night for years I think people may not realize what this thing is like at night....
Agreed, it's MUCH more intense at night, most of the track is not lit and the feeling of speed is increased drastically. The backwards portion is completely pitch black as well. The queue and base of the mountain have a cool, peaceful, almost romantic vibe. The mountain itself has a nice lighting package. I recently learned from a Joe Rohde Instagram post that the lighting package mimics how sunsets on the himalayan mountains look by having the colors change from reds and oranges as the sun sets to blues and purples after the sundown.

But then, pretty much every outdoor attraction I think is enhanced at night. I can't really think of one that is better in the daytime... maybe Safaris.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

i love your avatar pic. that is all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom