Expedition Everest effects status watch

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Actually the real reason he is shut down is because he became sentient snagged a guest on the way past and ate em, obv Disney shut him down as that was a paying guest and you just don't eat the paying guests !

Epcot_Imagineer

Okay so here's a quick Yeti fact-sheet I compiled.

-Problem is NOT the foundation. (Source 1) (Source 2)
-The problem definitely is too much stress placed on joints within the AA (shoulder, elbow, arm) with the large swipes the figure made. (Source 1) (Source 2)
-The problem with too much stress could have affected the sled. (Source 1) (Source 2)
-The Yeti has been removed 2/3 times in the third shift, and put back. (Source 1)
-The Yeti has been down almost permanently since mid-2008. (Just read the first couple dozen pages of this thread)

Anything anyone can/wants to add?

Doug Means

-The problem definitely is too much stress placed on joints within the AA (shoulder, elbow, arm) with the large swipes the figure made. (Source 1) (Source 2)
-The problem with too much stress could have affected the sled. (Source 1) (Source 2)
-The Yeti has been removed 2/3 times in the third shift, and put back. (Source 1)
-The Yeti has been down almost permanently since mid-2008. (Just read the first couple dozen pages of this thread)

1. will the yeti catch on fire cuz of the hot summer days in FL?
  2. are there any chances that the yeti will knock someone out of the train where an alligator can eat them?
  3. What happens if there is an emergency shut down and the train has to be evacuated?
  4. Is the yeti air conditioned?

did i miss anything?

KeithVH

OK. I have to ask. Back in the day, we had to take classes like Mechanics of Materials, Kinematics, Dynamics and Control (including Nonlinear), Structural Mechanics, Fluid Dynamics, and Hydraulics. I find it slightly hard to believe that the people that built our friend didn't learn those same lessons - shoot, some of them could probably teach those classes.

We'll never know all the detail about WHY it's not getting fixed. Don't care. But I'd just LOVE to see an Ishikawa showing a complete root cause trace. Yes, I get your explanation above, but that doesn't tell me why whatever engineer(s) didn't understand the forces at work or provision the system with the correct materials to prevent the current state.

Epcot_Imagineer

Yes, I get your explanation above, but that doesn't tell me why whatever engineer(s) didn't understand the forces at work or provision the system with the correct materials to prevent the current state.
It seems that the best explanation to this problem is that, well, sometimes things don't work out. The Yeti worked for about a year before things started to fall apart. I'm sure that the engineers did all of the simulation, and modeling they could, but in the end, no-one predicted (or could have, in my opinion) the chain of events that led to the broken Yeti.

The problem is more complicated than some people seem to think. You just can't simulate hundreds of thousands of hours of stress on a machine that is constantly in motion; especially one that is having certain parts/bolts/machinery changed out constantly.

As an example: No simulation software could predict that when Bolt 24601 is tightened/loosened by maintenance outside of X parameters, it causes a chain effect to where some actuator in the Yeti is moved beyond its designed limit, which puts Y amount of extra stress on the elbow joint, causing major damage.

Doug Means

OK. I have to ask. Back in the day, we had to take classes like Mechanics of Materials, Kinematics, Dynamics and Control (including Nonlinear), Structural Mechanics, Fluid Dynamics, and Hydraulics. I find it slightly hard to believe that the people that built our friend didn't learn those same lessons - shoot, some of them could probably teach those classes.

We'll never know all the detail about WHY it's not getting fixed. Don't care. But I'd just LOVE to see an Ishikawa showing a complete root cause trace. Yes, I get your explanation above, but that doesn't tell me why whatever engineer(s) didn't understand the forces at work or provision the system with the correct materials to prevent the current state.
It seems that the best explanation to this problem is that, well, sometimes things don't work out. The Yeti worked for about a year before things started to fall apart. I'm sure that the engineers did all of the simulation, and modeling they could, but in the end, no-one predicted (or could have, in my opinion) the chain of events that led to the broken Yeti.

The problem is more complicated than some people seem to think. You just can't simulate hundreds of thousands of hours of stress on a machine that is constantly in motion; especially one that is having certain parts/bolts/machinery changed out constantly.

As an example: No simulation software could predict that when Bolt 24601 is tightened/loosened by maintenance outside of X parameters, it causes a chain effect to where some actuator in the Yeti is moved beyond its designed limit, which puts Y amount of extra stress on the elbow joint, causing major damage.

WHAT?o_O

KeithVH

OK. I can buy that. Frustrating as all get out. Any engineer worth the name is thinking "Yeah, if they'd just let ME work on it . . ."

And still would kill to know root cause but into each life a little rain must fall.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

What about Trex at universal? Did that figure go through the same amount of stress?

I would think with today's technology and knowledge, the odds of finding a good fix have properly gone up.

Doug Means

What about Trex at universal? Did that figure go through the same amount of stress?

I would think with today's technology and knowledge, the odds of finding a good fix have properly gone up.

i guess disney would have to care, it seems that with the amount of time that has gone by with out anything happening that everything is good in their mind. so, why fix it?

Surfin' Tuna

It's Disney's Animal Kingdom, so why fix the yeti when we can just bring in a real one? This explains all the Asian trips Joe Rohde has taken after promising to fix the yeti. I love that guy more and more every day!

Disney Analyst

I'm more surprised they haven't just designed a simpler figure and plopped it in... It's a fast scene, some movement would be nice... it never needed to be so advanced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom