Would you pay $226 for a souvenir?

Would you spend $226 on a single souvenir?

• Total voters

yensid67

Original Poster
With Star Wars opening soon at WDW, I was wondering if there is an absolute limit to buying souvenirs. Star Wars has a build your own Light saber store that will cost $226 after taxes. The poll is to find out who has restraint and who doesn't! LOL I want to make a prediction now about this experience...

My prediction is that until the popularity wears off a little, this experience will remain. Once Disney sees that guests are not buying them because of the price they will #1 Have a PRICE DROP and see where that takes sales, then #2 they will get rid of the experience all together once they see sales have plummeted and not showed a profit.

I saw a video of the 'show' of building the sabers, and will say they are nice, they are metal not plastic! I was more intrigued by the storyline than the sabers...they were cool. Would I buy it not being a Star Wars fan? Probably not! But they are still cool

Here is a link to video: http://www.latimes.com/

I see this being a good experience until all the Star Wars fans have their own Light Saber...that may take a few years, but I am predicting that the end will come!

Cmdr_Crimson

Still wondering how many have bought that $37,500 Diamond Castle from Arribas Brothers...
4003193546_c39acbf100_z.jpg

sgtmgd

lol this depends entirely where you are financially in life. I can afford to purchase this but I would certainly tell my son/daughter if this the holy grail of what you want then you must make sacrifices on other "wants" while we're there(full disclosure I dont hold myself to that standard). Its certainly pricey and not something Id do every trip. I would certainly hope folks resist the impulse buy and end up having buyers remorse the next day if they haven't budgeted for it.

Schneewittchen

I voted no, but I was kinda lying. I won't spend $226 on a stupid light saber.

But I will spend $300 on a bottle of perfume from the Guerlain shop in Epcot. I think I spent about $300 on a framed Mary Blair/iasw American West room canvas. And DH and I have spent similar amounts ($200 - $300) on fine Disney jewelry.

Don't even want to talk about what I spent on some original Contemporary Resort room props......

Moana76

In the Parks
No
I would never purchase this for myself, even though I am a HUGE SW fan. However, I am considering this for my son's birthday this year. He is also a HUGE SW fan, and his birthday is in December, so I was thinking of doing this for him in combination with seeing the new movie.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
With Star Wars opening soon at WDW, I was wondering if there is an absolute limit to buying souvenirs. Star Wars has a build your own Light saber store that will cost $226 after taxes. The poll is to find out who has restraint and who doesn't! LOL I want to make a prediction now about this experience...

My prediction is that until the popularity wears off a little, this experience will remain. Once Disney sees that guests are not buying them because of the price they will #1 Have a PRICE DROP and see where that takes sales, then #2 they will get rid of the experience all together once they see sales have plummeted and not showed a profit.

I saw a video of the 'show' of building the sabers, and will say they are nice, they are metal not plastic! I was more intrigued by the storyline than the sabers...they were cool. Would I buy it not being a Star Wars fan? Probably not! But they are still cool

I see this being a good experience until all the Star Wars fans have their own Light Saber...that may take a few years, but I am predicting that the end will come!
The Black Series Force FX lightsaber has always carried an MSRP of $175 or so, depending on the model. An extra $25 for a customized version is completely reasonable IMO.

https://starwars.hasbro.com/en-us/p...ghtsaber:4D108B3E-5056-9047-F5F1-D4317FA8A600

Also, I'm not sure why you're choosing to use the "after tax" price to make this seem worse than it is. The thing costs $200 versus $175 for a non-customized one.

Kamikaze

They have a full size, movie replica quality droid available for $25000. $200 for a lightsaber is nothing. Even buying a droid with a bunch of the addons will go over that number. And some of the 'legacy' sabers are $300. There are also a lot of other things available in Galaxy's Edge for far more than $300.

But the main thing is not to worry about how others spend their money - its not forcing you to do the same, so do what you want with yours.

eliza61nyc

Have you had good experiences with Kate Spade? My wife has had multiple purses and multiple watches and they all end up with problems way too early in their lives. Customer service has been poor every time.

Grrr. that sucks.

I only have two. This one and a pink crossbody bag. The pink one is actually pretty old but I have to preface that with it gets only spotty use. actually I'd say both get very limited use, I bring them out in the summer. I haven't had to contact their customer service.

I have a few coach bags that I call my "battle" bags. They are the ones I use daily, go to work, etc etc. I literally drove over one tote by accident (smack palm to the head) and not so much as a broken latch.

Really disappointing that the customer service is bad especially since Coach owns them and they have really good customer service.

DisneyGigi

Grrr. that sucks.

I only have two. This one and a pink crossbody bag. The pink one is actually pretty old but I have to preface that with it gets only spotty use. actually I'd say both get very limited use, I bring them out in the summer. I haven't had to contact their customer service.

I have a few coach bags that I call my "battle" bags. They are the ones I use daily, go to work, etc etc. I literally drove over one tote by accident (smack palm to the head) and not so much as a broken latch.

Really disappointing that the customer service is bad especially since Coach owns them and they have really good customer service.
I have two big bags, a crossbody and several travel pieces. All have held up great except my oldest is now getting a sticking zipper. It is about 8 years old. I don’t have any complaints though!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I wouldn't spend that much on that lightsaber now, a few years ago, maybe!

We used to collect SW and other Disney related memorabilia. But these days we are looking to downsize and move to a smaller home.

Actually we are thinking of selling most of the pieces we have collected (hoarded!) through the years!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom