Would you pay $226 for a souvenir?

Would you spend $226 on a single souvenir?

• Total voters

JIMINYCR

We always go to WDW with money saved in anticipation of bringing home souvenirs. On the last day or day before we leave DW & I usually splurge for something expensive that weve been looking at and debated buying. I have spent that much and more on a Disney statue, art or other souvenir before. So I would not hesitate to purchase it IF it was something I really wanted. But I'm not desiring a Lightsaber so it isnt going home with me on my next trip. I'll spend my money on other things.

Lensman

How much are comparable ones online? I want to say between $100 and $300, but I'm not up on the quality differences between the different online lightsaber vendors.

Given that people buy light sabers on their own without them being a vacation souvenir, I'm not quite sure what spending rules apply. I'll buy a $30 souvenir t-shirt but I balk at getting a $70 hoodie and there's no way I'd pay more than $100 on any item of souvenir clothing. Part of it is that the more expensive the item, the less I want it to be kitschy.

I'd put the lightsabers at Savi's into the "collectible" category more than the "souvenir" category, much like my collection of high-quality Godzilla action figures.

dieboy

Have you had good experiences with Kate Spade? My wife has had multiple purses and multiple watches and they all end up with problems way too early in their lives. Customer service has been poor every time.
Coach will replace nearly everything with out much question. They will not replace things sold thru their outlet stores however, just an fyi. My wife has had numerous clasps, and handles replaced due to wear.

MGMBoy

Absolutely. I am already saving for both a saber (along with extra kyber crystals), at least one of the holocrons & droid when we go down in January.

StarWarsGirl

It depends on what it is. For a lightsaber, as cool as it is, I have no use for it; it would sit in a corner someplace. Maybe eventually I'll have a Star Wars themed room and it would make a nice edition, but for now, nope.

I have artwork that's pretty pricey. I'm guessing this one was about $150-$200 with the frame. Although I didn't buy it; it was a college graduation gift from my parents.

20190601_181555.jpg

And then these two were about $125 each (My parents bought me the one on the right in high school; I bought myself the one on the right a few years ago)
20190601_181946.jpg

But for me , I see the value in artwork. I have artwork that my parents bought me when I was little about 20 years ago that I still have hanging up. I can't say that about too many souvenirs.

I sometimes splurge on souvenirs, sometimes don't. I think I spent around $50 for souvenirs last trip total, on a limited edition shirt and a pair of sunglasses because mine were driving my crazy. Sometimes I spend that, sometimes I spend more. All depends.

MGMBoy

Also, for the truly die hard fans, they can (technically) go through 8 different times and get unique components each trip to create truly one of a kind sabres. I could see myself getting a new one every couple years (if I had the discretionary funds) and also see them releasing new parts every few years to keep the sales fresh.

Last edited:

Lensman

It depends on what it is. For a lightsaber, as cool as it is, I have no use for it; it would sit in a corner someplace. Maybe eventually I'll have a Star Wars themed room and it would make a nice edition, but for now, nope.

I have artwork that's pretty pricey. I'm guessing this one was about $150-$200 with the frame. Although I didn't buy it; it was a college graduation gift from my parents.

View attachment 378423

And then these two were about $125 each (My parents bought me the one on the right in high school; I bought myself the one on the right a few years ago)
View attachment 378424

But for me , I see the value in artwork. I have artwork that my parents bought me when I was little about 20 years ago that I still have hanging up. I can't say that about too many souvenirs.

I sometimes splurge on souvenirs, sometimes don't. I think I spent around $50 for souvenirs last trip total, on a limited edition shirt and a pair of sunglasses because mine were driving my crazy. Sometimes I spend that, sometimes I spend more. All depends.
Nice collection!

The limited edition artwork is another collectible that sometimes serves as a souvenir that breaks the upper price bound that people have for souvenirs.

I have a small collection of cels and drawings and I'd consider paying a couple hundred for one from a parks store, though I imagine I might be able to get a better price outside.

thomas998

With Star Wars opening soon at WDW, I was wondering if there is an absolute limit to buying souvenirs. Star Wars has a build your own Light saber store that will cost $226 after taxes. The poll is to find out who has restraint and who doesn't! LOL I want to make a prediction now about this experience...

My prediction is that until the popularity wears off a little, this experience will remain. Once Disney sees that guests are not buying them because of the price they will #1 Have a PRICE DROP and see where that takes sales, then #2 they will get rid of the experience all together once they see sales have plummeted and not showed a profit.

I saw a video of the 'show' of building the sabers, and will say they are nice, they are metal not plastic! I was more intrigued by the storyline than the sabers...they were cool. Would I buy it not being a Star Wars fan? Probably not! But they are still cool

Here is a link to video: http://www.latimes.com/

I see this being a good experience until all the Star Wars fans have their own Light Saber...that may take a few years, but I am predicting that the end will come!
While I might spend more than that if it was something I really wanted, I wouldn't spend anywhere near that for a fake lightsaber that would sit on a desk collecting dust until I died and my family sold it in yard sale for 5 or 10 dollars. These things make the Harry Potter wands at Universal seem like a great bargain (which they aren't). In general I hate spending money on things I can't use. A shirt I can wear... a hat I can wear... a cup or mug I can use... But a lightsaber is just pointless. I'm sure over time you'll find them on Ebay for a fraction of the price. I know we've picked up a couple of Harry Potter wands to use at Universal at Ebay over the years and it was far cheaper than what they went for in the parks... I think the last one I got was under 10 dollars for a wand that Universal was selling for 48... so almost 80% less... I've seen the lightsabers for under 100 right now... so in a few years I expect they will only get cheaper especially as Disney continues to cheapen the brand with the godawful movies.

MGMBoy

YOu are all forgetting that this is (essentially) just expanding on an existing market. A nice, well built lightsaber replica will already set you back $150+. At least this one allows you to say that you designed it yourself and lets you change the color of the blade on a whim. That extra $50-ish seems well worth it for a more personalized and custom experience that you can have a story and pictures/video to go with.

Lensman

one that does nothing is about 25, the ones that interact with the stuff in the park are about 50... the worst part is the ones that do nothing actually look more like the real wands, the more expensive ones have a goofy looking little glass bead on the tip.
Ah, so you need to buy both. Very savvy of them.

You'd need to buy both anyway, since you have to buy the wand that picks you. (i.e. corresponds to the character that you identify with most)

allgiggles

I personally wouldn't spend that much (or any amount for that matter) on a lightsaber as I'm not a Star Wars fan. But I would have no problem with my husband buying one if he wanted it. I do, however, spend that much and more on a Disney Dooney & Bourke purse/bag every trip.

thomas998

Ah, so you need to buy both. Very savvy of them.

You'd need to buy both anyway, since you have to buy the wand that picks you. (i.e. corresponds to the character that you identify with most)
I just have to hope the price of wands stays stable until my kids move on to college, I have a feeling the wands will be left behind and then I might be able to resell them back on Ebay and almost break even. Here's to hoping Harry Potter stays popular for a few more years.

Lensman

I just have to hope the price of wands stays stable until my kids move on to college, I have a feeling the wands will be left behind and then I might be able to resell them back on Ebay and almost break even. Here's to hoping Harry Potter stays popular for a few more years.
That's a great idea!

In fact, maybe I should just buy a wand off of eBay now and take it with me on our next trip. Then I can spring it on the kids as a gift while we are there?

Lol. Just kidding. The kids are all grown up now. Note: I think it would be less deceptive to spring it on them before the trip so they're not deceived into thinking you bought them at the park.

thomas998

That's a great idea!

In fact, maybe I should just buy a wand off of eBay now and take it with me on our next trip. Then I can spring it on the kids as a gift while we are there?

Lol. Just kidding. The kids are all grown up now. Note: I think it would be less deceptive to spring it on them before the trip so they're not deceived into thinking you bought them at the park.
Well if your kids are young enough you just wave your hands, mumble some mumbo jumbo and pretend they popped up by magic.

Phonedave

I voted no, but I was kinda lying. I won't spend $226 on a stupid light saber.

But I will spend $300 on a bottle of perfume from the Guerlain shop in Epcot. I think I spent about $300 on a framed Mary Blair/iasw American West room canvas. And DH and I have spent similar amounts ($200 - $300) on fine Disney jewelry.

Don't even want to talk about what I spent on some original Contemporary Resort room props......

This is me as well.

$226 on a lightsaber - no

Over that amount on artwork - yes

Phonedave

Have you had good experiences with Kate Spade? My wife has had multiple purses and multiple watches and they all end up with problems way too early in their lives. Customer service has been poor every time.

My wife has one she uses on a daily basis, for over the last year. No issues with it. (it's not a Disney KS though)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom