Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

BlakeW39

No official word.

I've always understood Nintendo to be the more solid info with a Mario Kart theme, and then most I've seen infer a Fantastic Beasts land as well as a Jurassic World land, and I also heard about a monsters land, Godzilla and all that.

I still want a refurb to JP:River Adventure though lol I used to love that ride.

Disney Analyst

I've always understood Nintendo to be the more solid info with a Mario Kart theme, and then most I've seen infer a Fantastic Beasts land as well as a Jurassic World land, and I also heard about a monsters land, Godzilla and all that.

I still want a refurb to JP:River Adventure though lol I used to love that ride.

I kind of hope with the Jurassic World coaster going into IOA they find some new IPs to explore in the new park.

BlakeW39

I maintain that if FoP were a Universal attraction, Disney fans would crap all over it for being a screen-based ride. It's probably the best flying theater attraction out there, but acting like it's some revolutionary ride among the best of all time shows, to me, extreme Disney bias. Your Mouse ears are on too tight.

I do agree that Universal Studios Florida lacks a cohesive theme, but it wasn't aiming to have one in the first place. The layout of the park reflects how Universal thought of it as a production facility first. DHS of course trying to be a legit production facility too, but they still had a traditional Main Street-and-Castle layout welcoming guests. USF's weenie is a 2D flat of the New York Public Library, for crying out loud.

My first thought when Epcot's redesigned entrance was announced was that USF needs an even greater overhaul. They have some space to do it considering they could utilize the side entrance to the park by the Blue Man Group.

As for USF not having an E-ticket and just "awful" D and Cs? It has what I consider the best interactive shooting ride ever created, Men in Black: Alien Attack (and no screens!) as well as Revenge of the Mummy, an indoor coaster with storytelling elements that Disney still hasn't matched 15 years later (maybe Guardians will change that). Even Gringotts is beyond what Disney has attempted in combining storytelling elements with a coaster.

I said they didn't have a great E. I forgot about Mummy. Mummy is a very good ride. Gringotts is not. Also Everest is ver good as storytellimg but without the Yeti I do tend to not defend it as much, even if it is in my opinion much better than Mummy.

GlacierGlacier

The ride is apparently projected at 10k, but could be upscaled to that (most likely). They dance around actual render resolution in that article, and I really doubt it's a coincidence. The angle of view in FoP isn't all that much larger than a modern theater's main auditorium. Definitely not double, width wise, if you sit in the sweet spot for movies. Add in that you are moving, which is going to severely hinder your ability to discern pixels, and I still highly doubt 95% of viewers would notice if it was 4k. And the other 5% probably sit 15 feet from their awesome 4k TV at home.

I'm just a loon right? Well, let's dig into details.

Using this distance graph, for 4k, the slope is about 8 feet per 120 inches.

https://www.thx.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/1-ghF7Unj-vk60wyKUiVy4EQ.jpeg

FoP's screen is said to be 70' x 100' so the diagonal is about 1500", assuming no curve. So for 4k to be fully seen at 1500", you'd need to be at least within 96 feet of the screen. For a 1080p image (half resolution of 4k), it looks about half the slope. I don't know for sure, but we'll assume 8k is half the slope of 4k. If we extrapolated that, then for an 8k resolution, at 100", you would need to be about 4 feet, or 60 feet for FoP. And I'll be darn, the center of the screen is about 30 feet from the center seats, of that. But, the farther you get out, you quickly start getting 60 feet away for parts of the screen. So, it does seem most seats are close enough to see 8k, with some assumptions.

However, I felt the edges, that some people are VERY close to, are blurry, and anyone not in the center seats is more than 60 feet from the other side of the screen.

Add in the screen is curved, and actually MUCH wider, by linear inches, than 100 feet, so it's sorta unclear what the horizontal resolution is. 10k should be the vertical resolution, but that would assume 100 linear feet of screen width, when it is probably closer to 150

So, taking in to account the motion, the fact most folks are likely more than the maximum distance away to truly even see 8k in half of the screen (especially taking into account 2/3 of the people are above or below the sweet spot by a good distance), and I have a real hard time believing they rendered at 8k. It would have been quite a waste.

I once found this INCREDIBLE video about what you eye can really see. By the cinematographer of The Last Jedi, among other films. It's very long, but is about as visual fact based as I've seen. Ultimately, it proves that even in a local theater 4k is unnecessary. And those screens can get to be equal to 1/2 the dimensions of the FoP screen. A GREAT watch, if you're a big time theater nerd.

http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/ResDemoPt2.html

What does all this mean? They may be projecting in 10k (not sure how, since I can't see it being more than 2 4k projectors on top of each other. Hell, it may have even been rendered in 10k (but I just don't believe that, maybe 5k per eye, which is sorta what "4k" home projectors do with pixel shift). But, ultimately, even 4k would have been enough for the vast majority of people, especially at 60 fps, and taking in to account your eyes are moving MUCH more than they do in a regular theater. Plus, they are looking through old 3D glasses with scratches, and multiple layers of distorting plastic in them.
You may find this article interesting:

The relevant parts:
Weta was responsible for creating all of the final rendered imagery that audiences view on the ride. “Although the ride was made up of distinctly different environments, the entire ride is essentially one continuous shot that runs for 4.5 minutes and spans a distance of 11.2km. The shots were made more challenging due to the fact that the required resolution was 10K at 60fps, and they had to be rendered and delivered in omni-directional stereo,” says Shadbolt.
Weta’s biggest challenge was delivering images at 10k, 60 fps stereo. “We had to optimize all parts of our pipeline and make enhancements to Manuka to make this possible...
“We needed to develop glasses that functioned with a 160-degree field-of-view screen. Typically, theatrical or cinema glasses only support 90-degree field of view. We also wanted as little visual intrusion of the glasses [as possible] as we wanted folks to have as natural a stereo experience as possible. We opted for as translucent a frame as we could get, along with as much clear filter as we could afford. Essentially, we wanted the glasses to disappear,” comments Jupiter.

In short: Weta Digital and Lightstorm Entertainment rendered at 10k, 60 FPS, 160FOV for the entire attraction. They chose 3D glasses that resulted in the smallest distortion and obstruction possible.

And as far as projectors go? Disney is no stranger to large scale, high-resolution projectors tiled together to create larger, higher quality displays. They even have published research papers detailing their automatic calibration process.

Odd resolutions are not uncommon, either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And why does Universal have 3 parks

Because you'd be stupid to increase your offering 50% and not be able to charge more for it. Multiple parks gives you the ability to scale your offering's price points.. and give perceived value to create upsell opportunities.

All things you can't do with a 'one price for everything' model.

Now back to useless UNI sucks, DIZ drools arguments.

BlakeW39

Because you'd be stupid to increase your offering 50% and not be able to charge more for it. Multiple parks gives you the ability to scale your offering's price points.. and give perceived value to create upsell opportunities.

All things you can't do with a 'one price for everything' model.

Now back to useless UNI sucks, DIZ drools arguments.

That's literally not what I meant at all, I'm just suggesting that Universal's two current parks do not differ enough justify their separation. It isn't like MK vs Epcot vs DAK.

You coming at me with the classic companies want money argument is silly because we all know that Disney and Universal will charge for whatever they can lol. Plus I don't UNI sucks. I like IoA a lot. I just don't think Universal Studios brings anything to the table aside from Diagon, which should be in IoA imo.

P.S. yes these arguments are pointless but I was convinced they were over lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's literally not what I meant at all, I'm just suggesting that Universal's two current parks do not differ enough justify their separation. It isn't like MK vs Epcot vs DAK.

The point you are missing is... the reason for multiple parks is a business one... not just a creative one.

BlakeW39

The point you are missing is... the reason for multiple parks is a business one... not just a creative one.

lol I haven't missed it, my question was rhetorical, obviously they have parks because they can make money. I was merely implying that they shouldn't have so many parks if they can't make them distinct. But I still like IoA and will likely enjoy FW just as much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom