Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Really looking forward to this...and great, we'll have 2 years of WDW fanbois telling us how bad it sucks before it opens here :p
And then it opens here better than the DHS version, and then all the WDW fanbois will be crying because they have the inferior version yet again.... ;):p😂

mickEblu

I haven't honestly followed the specifics of the GotG coaster with regards to capacity. Maybe one of the WDW insiders can provide that info. But yeah I expect it'll be a clone of that ride system.

Parts of TT would have to close eventually I would assume, don't know if that'll happen before D23 or not. But I expect at least Gag Factory closes sometime this year. So that might be the reason for announcing it now instead of in August.

I think they could get away with not announcing anything if JUST the gag factory was closing before August. I’m expecting that this isn’t the case though judging by the timing of this announcement. However, I’m not sure why they would need to start on any Toontown refresh this early unless it’s more extensive than most of us think.

SuddenStorm

So I wonder if they'll keep the movie theater angle or if they'll remove that aspect entirely and have the façade be a train depot or something similar.

If their current trend of ctrl+C, ctrl+v when building the same attraction in multiple resorts is any indication, this ride's gonna have almost the exact same facade as Hollywood Studios :angelic:

TP2000

While the news of Runaway Railway coming to Disneyland's Toontown is no surprise, what is surprising is they announced this on the Friday before Easter like they were almost sheepish about it. Or the announcement was rushed for some reason. Weird.

Interesting indeed. I figured this for a D23 announcement.
Well for a 2022 opening that puts demo and construction starting here in the next couple months just like we thought.
I’m surprised they didn’t wait til D23 for this announcement

My only thought here is that they need to start demo work ASAP, within the next month or two, and you'll be able to see that easily from the Harbor Blvd. sidewalk on the freeway overpass. There will be no way to hide what they are doing months before D23 Expo. So they had to just fess up to what we've all known for a year or so that the Runaway Railway ride from DHS is being cloned for Toontown.

The logistics of the construction timetable and the obvious view of this construction from the Harbor Blvd. sidewalk forced their hand and made it impossible to save this announcement for D23 Expo.

While it's nice of them to admit they are building this ride in Toontown, what was bizarre is that it's apparently delayed in DHS until a year from now? Eight months after Star Wars Land opens in DHS??? They are really screwed there in DHS this fall and Christmas, aren't they?!?

Between the long delay on Runaway Railway in DHS, and the mystery delay on the Resistance ride for Star Wars Lands, it's increasingly obvious these new wireless/trackless rides they keep approving and building aren't quite ready for prime time. :oops:

Last edited:

TP2000

I took the helpful map @truecoat created and added an X where you'll be able to get a good view of this construction.

The X is the sidewalk on Harbor Blvd. that is part of the freeway overpass. From that elevated sidewalk you get a clear view down into "backstage" Disneyland from there. And I really think this is part of the reason why this non-surprising announcement couldn't wait until D23 Expo, because the demolition and construction was going to be too obvious well before August.

I fully expect bloggers to begin photographing the area from that public vantage point. Thank me later.

TP2000

And be swallowed by an earthquake...

I will probably jinx us and we'll get the Big One that will close Disneyland for a week, but...

Disneyland has never closed because of an earthquake. Since 1955 there have been a half dozen local moderate quakes, rattling windows and closing some rides for a few hours for inspections. But the park has never closed and the earthquakes over the last 64 years have been confined to a handful of days with a few hours of inconvenience.

Meanwhile, Orlando has some of the most inhospitable weather for at least half the year. This was Magic Kingdom park earlier today.

While this video was taken at Disneyland about 35 minutes ago, at 2:45pm it was 74 degrees with a light sea breeze...

I'll take a moderate earthquake that rattles dishes and windows every 10 years, thank you. ;)

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I took the helpful map @truecoat created and added an X where you'll be able to get a good view of this construction.

The X is the sidewalk on Harbor Blvd. that is part of the freeway overpass. From that elevated sidewalk you get a clear view down into "backstage" Disneyland from there. And I really think this is part of the reason why this non-surprising announcement couldn't wait until D23 Expo, because the demolition and construction was going to be too obvious well before August.

View attachment 366081

I fully expect bloggers to begin photographing the area from that public vantage point. Thank me later.
Pick your favorite Youtuber now, you'll start seeing videos going up this weekend.

socalifornian

I will probably jinx us and we'll get the Big One that will close Disneyland for a week, but...

Disneyland has never closed because of an earthquake. Since 1955 there have been a half dozen local moderate quakes, rattling windows and closing some rides for a few hours for inspections. But the park has never closed and the earthquakes over the last 64 years have been confined to a handful of days with a few hours of inconvenience.

Meanwhile, Orlando has some of the most inhospitable weather for at least half the year. This was Magic Kingdom park earlier today.

While this video was taken at Disneyland about 35 minutes ago, at 2:45pm it was 74 degrees with a light sea breeze...

I'll take a moderate earthquake that rattles dishes and windows every 10 years, thank you. ;)

“Sunshine State”

mickEblu

I fully expect FreshBaked (who has actually been growing on me, and has improved his wardrobe lately) to walk that overpass this weekend. But I also hope our favorite lady blogger will go there too, and maybe that nice father and daughter that does videos.

Hahah I feel the same way. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his vlogs got much better when Sara left.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I fully expect FreshBaked (who has actually been growing on me, and has improved his wardrobe lately) to walk that overpass this weekend. But I also hope our favorite lady blogger will go there too, and maybe that nice father and daughter that does videos.
Hahah I feel the same way. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his vlogs got much better when Sara left.
I agree, David will likely film it once there is something to see.

I actually liked Sara, she brought a quirkiness that is needed to even out David's deadpan humor. I personally think their recent format change to more subject oriented videos instead of just plain trip report videos is what has caused the product quality to go up.

mickEblu

I agree, David will likely film it once there is something to see.

I actually liked Sara, she brought a quirkiness that is needed to even out David's deadpan humor. I personally think their recent format change to more subject oriented videos instead of just plain trip report videos is what has caused the product quality to go up.

I thought she always over the top and found her off putting. I enjoy the banter between Ian and David.

I think what you mentioned has also contributed to the quality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom