The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
This is funny and sounds like my childhood years as well (there were 4 kids in the family). I think it would be great to hear about what your mom used to spend on the family grocery bills. Also, I can imagine that there were some items that are not as popular now as well. For example, probably a staple in many kitchens were those large cans of Crisco. :)
I did a good part of the shopping once I got a license and remember spending at least 100 every time I went shopping and I bought nothing fancy

Goofyernmost

So.... they are suitcases within suit cases, I guess. I know I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but, I am having a hard time understanding why I would want to do all that extra work of packing and then repacking. What is achieved by doing that. I must be missing something or my lazy gene is just blocking out the reasoning behind it. Especially in this world of airport security, I would think that the original purpose would be completely destroyed during a bag check.
When I was a kid he used to have a guest called the Banana Man who would come out and take boxes out of boxes and make a train and then take items like big bunches of bananas, and other things out of his pockets and fill the train up all the while saying "WOW" over and over again. The cubes are exactly what reminded me of that. 😜

93boomer

Premium Member
Lovely back yard you have there. :inlove:

The yard behind the townhouse building where we live, is all concrete, with a bunch of dead leaves flying around, and 3 trash cans. Sometimes, there are 4 trash cans, if it's really windy out and a neighbor's one flies in to our area. :p

Lastly, hubs also has his two different sized boxing stands out there, with both light & heavy punching bags. (So, I'm not trying to make you jealous or anything, but our yard is exquisite, I tell you, just exquisite.) :joyfull:
Thank you! But, I have to say I am a bit jealous your exquisite yard. :joyfull:

MouseDreaming

Friendly advice, please.
DD has been coming home with stories about a friend of hers being bullied. There are 2 first year dual immersion classes in her school, and she seems to have lucked into the one with pretty good kids. But there's a girl she met through Music Theater class who is in the other, and the girl has no friends in her class. She's been hanging around DD and her friends because they are nice to her. So, there's this girl in the other class, I'll call her A. A is constantly picking on L. Yesterday, L fell off her bike and had an ice pack tied to her foot/ankle. A came up and I'm not sure what she did, but L said to please be careful of her hurt foot, so A said "Oh....your foot hurts?" and started kicking the foot. L is...well, a feisty red-head, and she started hitting A. A teacher came out in time to see that A started it, or that she was more aggressive, and so she broke up the fight and was scolding the girls and A was getting all mouthy. The girls have the same mentor and he came and took the girls to his office to have a chat, so I don't know what happened after that, but DD said A is a brown noser and really good at playing the victim and spinning it so that teachers think she's innocent. Apparently this girl is one of those really pretty girls, and she's obviously intelligent if she's in the Dual immersion class because that's only offered at the highest level...but she's very charming to teachers. And she has this group of boys who hang with her, and they took L's bag, and when she tried to get it back, the one boy dropped his phone, and when he picked it up, he turned it off, and went and told a teacher L had broken it to get her in trouble....it wasn't even broken. He also threw some trash on the L's head at one point, and I guess yesterday, when L was sitting with DD and her friends, one of the boys walked by and said "Oh....L DOES have friends!" And when the group was picking on L, DD and the others stood up for her and told them to leave her alone, and the boy said "You're just one of those dual immersion nerds!" to DD...DD is proud to be a nerd, so she just said "Yes I am, and proud of it! Thank you!" and one of her other friends said "I'd rather be a dual immersion nerd than be you!"
A is also constantly telling them to speak Dutch....in lessons, the dual immersion kids have to speak in English or they get points deducted, and of course DD speaks English fluently, but she practices with her friends in the breaks. A doesn't like it that they all speak English, so she's always ragging on them for it. But it's this whole group of kids with A at the helm who bully L.

So....I'm not sure how to handle it. On the one hand, I know that the teachers caught the girls fighting yesterday, and that a teacher was involved in the incident where the kid said L broke his phone, so they obviously know these kids don't get along. On the other hand, DD told me that A and her crew are really good at playing the victims, and at sucking up to the teachers, so the teachers might not believe that it's A and her friends doing the bullying.
I also think that kids do need to learn to handle these things themselves, by talking to a teacher or something, but even though there were kids who witnessed the fight yesterday, the teacher never asked any of them how it started, and I'm not sure L has reported the bullying or not. She lives in Germany, but goes to school here because she was bullied in her elementary school there in Germany. She's no stranger to bullying, so I'm not sure she trusts that the school will do anything about it....she just reacts herself.
You all know how I feel about bullying and why, so I don't want to just let it go, but I also don't want to make it worse by making A and her minions think that L tattled, or make her target DD because SHE tattled. So...do I contact the school and let them know what's going on, or do I let it go and hope that the kids tell someone and that it will motivate A to stop, or that it will get her suspended? If I go to the school, do I talk to DD's mentor or do I go straight to the top? I obviously have not witnessed it myself, I've only heard what DD has told me. DD does have a good reputation with her teachers, so I think they'd believe her if it was her word against A's, but if A finds out it was DD who got her in trouble, she might start in on DD, so I'd kind of rather keep it anonymous as much as possible. Ideas??
I have no idea why they wouldn't ask the other kids that witnessed what happened. I am also surprised that, when this became a physical event, it stopped with the mentor. I tell my lunch supervisors if anyone sees anything physical, that is an automatic office referral.

And, to be clear, this is no longer tattling. This is beyond name calling. What is to stop this girl from doing much worse, at this point? If it were me, I think I would send an email, that someone should ask DD and friends about the episode. Truthfully, it sounds like they are already targeting them for hanging around with this poor girl. They want to isolate her, and then she would lose all credibility with this mentor, as the kid who must have something wrong with her, because she doesn't hang around with anyone, while A is pretty, smart, and well liked.

Whatever you decide to do, please give your DD some praise and a big hug for being a good friend.

MouseDreaming

Hey, @ajrwdwgirl , I caught up with your on going trip report, and I will be sharing it with DD this weekend. I told her she needs to pay attention to what the people in the pictures are wearing. She is convinced all the coats and jackets are locals that think 60 is freezing. I have less than a year to convince a 15 yr old girl, who of course knows much more than I do, that So. Cal. is not FL. Spring can still be chilly. Bring more than shorts!

MySmallWorldof4

Friendly advice, please.
DD has been coming home with stories about a friend of hers being bullied. There are 2 first year dual immersion classes in her school, and she seems to have lucked into the one with pretty good kids. But there's a girl she met through Music Theater class who is in the other, and the girl has no friends in her class. She's been hanging around DD and her friends because they are nice to her. So, there's this girl in the other class, I'll call her A. A is constantly picking on L. Yesterday, L fell off her bike and had an ice pack tied to her foot/ankle. A came up and I'm not sure what she did, but L said to please be careful of her hurt foot, so A said "Oh....your foot hurts?" and started kicking the foot. L is...well, a feisty red-head, and she started hitting A. A teacher came out in time to see that A started it, or that she was more aggressive, and so she broke up the fight and was scolding the girls and A was getting all mouthy. The girls have the same mentor and he came and took the girls to his office to have a chat, so I don't know what happened after that, but DD said A is a brown noser and really good at playing the victim and spinning it so that teachers think she's innocent. Apparently this girl is one of those really pretty girls, and she's obviously intelligent if she's in the Dual immersion class because that's only offered at the highest level...but she's very charming to teachers. And she has this group of boys who hang with her, and they took L's bag, and when she tried to get it back, the one boy dropped his phone, and when he picked it up, he turned it off, and went and told a teacher L had broken it to get her in trouble....it wasn't even broken. He also threw some trash on the L's head at one point, and I guess yesterday, when L was sitting with DD and her friends, one of the boys walked by and said "Oh....L DOES have friends!" And when the group was picking on L, DD and the others stood up for her and told them to leave her alone, and the boy said "You're just one of those dual immersion nerds!" to DD...DD is proud to be a nerd, so she just said "Yes I am, and proud of it! Thank you!" and one of her other friends said "I'd rather be a dual immersion nerd than be you!"
A is also constantly telling them to speak Dutch....in lessons, the dual immersion kids have to speak in English or they get points deducted, and of course DD speaks English fluently, but she practices with her friends in the breaks. A doesn't like it that they all speak English, so she's always ragging on them for it. But it's this whole group of kids with A at the helm who bully L.

So....I'm not sure how to handle it. On the one hand, I know that the teachers caught the girls fighting yesterday, and that a teacher was involved in the incident where the kid said L broke his phone, so they obviously know these kids don't get along. On the other hand, DD told me that A and her crew are really good at playing the victims, and at sucking up to the teachers, so the teachers might not believe that it's A and her friends doing the bullying.
I also think that kids do need to learn to handle these things themselves, by talking to a teacher or something, but even though there were kids who witnessed the fight yesterday, the teacher never asked any of them how it started, and I'm not sure L has reported the bullying or not. She lives in Germany, but goes to school here because she was bullied in her elementary school there in Germany. She's no stranger to bullying, so I'm not sure she trusts that the school will do anything about it....she just reacts herself.
You all know how I feel about bullying and why, so I don't want to just let it go, but I also don't want to make it worse by making A and her minions think that L tattled, or make her target DD because SHE tattled. So...do I contact the school and let them know what's going on, or do I let it go and hope that the kids tell someone and that it will motivate A to stop, or that it will get her suspended? If I go to the school, do I talk to DD's mentor or do I go straight to the top? I obviously have not witnessed it myself, I've only heard what DD has told me. DD does have a good reputation with her teachers, so I think they'd believe her if it was her word against A's, but if A finds out it was DD who got her in trouble, she might start in on DD, so I'd kind of rather keep it anonymous as much as possible. Ideas??
So sad. I will have to think about this. If others are witnessing like DD, they need to keep a running log of incidents to show teachers/mentors. If someone has a phone they can secretly record the incidents?

MySmallWorldof4

So.... they are suitcases within suit cases, I guess. I know I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but, I am having a hard time understanding why I would want to do all that extra work of packing and then repacking. What is achieved by doing that. I must be missing something or my lazy gene is just blocking out the reasoning behind it. Especially in this world of airport security, I would think that the original purpose would be completely destroyed during a bag check.
When I was a kid he used to have a guest called the Banana Man who would come out and take boxes out of boxes and make a train and then take items like big bunches of bananas, and other things out of his pockets and fill the train up all the while saying "WOW" over and over again. The cubes are exactly what reminded me of that. 😜
I remember Captain Kangaroo. No clue about Banana Man.

MySmallWorldof4

I have no idea why they wouldn't ask the other kids that witnessed what happened. I am also surprised that, when this became a physical event, it stopped with the mentor. I tell my lunch supervisors if anyone sees anything physical, that is an automatic office referral.

And, to be clear, this is no longer tattling. This is beyond name calling. What is to stop this girl from doing much worse, at this point? If it were me, I think I would send an email, that someone should ask DD and friends about the episode. Truthfully, it sounds like they are already targeting them for hanging around with this poor girl. They want to isolate her, and then she would lose all credibility with this mentor, as the kid who must have something wrong with her, because she doesn't hang around with anyone, while A is pretty, smart, and well liked.

Whatever you decide to do, please give your DD some praise and a big hug for being a good friend.
I like all of this @Songbird76 .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom