News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

bUU

Well. I guess one thing to keep in mind is that this is only one piece of a larger overhaul.
Yes, and it is more than just about how it looks - it is also about how people flow in and out of the park through that constriction.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention about this: Doesn't this mean that huge gift shop has to go? I cannot imagine that they will take down the Innoventions buildings without giving that gift shop a similarly prominent location right by the entry. EDITED: Okay reading another thread now that says only Innoventions West is going away. Makes sense. So all they need to do is find a spot in Innoventions East for the Character greetings, and they're done.

jaklgreen

Yes, and it is more than just about how it looks - it is also about how people flow in and out of the park through that constriction.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention about this: Doesn't this mean that huge gift shop has to go? I cannot imagine that they will take down the Innoventions buildings without giving that gift shop a similarly prominent location right by the entry. EDITED: Okay reading another thread now that says only Innoventions West is going away. Makes sense. So all they need to do is find a spot in Innoventions East for the Character greetings, and they're done.
Mousegears is not attached to the Innoventions building, there is a breezeway between the 2. Same with the character meet and greet locations. They can easily take out the Innoventions buildings and leave those 2.

bUU

Mousegears is not attached to the Innoventions building, there is a breezeway between the 2. Same with the character meet and greet locations. They can easily take out the Innoventions buildings and leave those 2.
But the counter service restaurant is on the other side of the breezeway. There's nothing in West that absolutely has to be in such a prominent location, but I have to believe that they want/need a big eatery there.

Anyway, is that the rumor? That they're taking down West and the "not-Innoventions" part of East?

jaklgreen

But the counter service restaurant is on the other side of the breezeway. There's nothing in West that absolutely has to be in such a prominent location, but I have to believe that they want/need a big eatery there.

Anyway, is that the rumor? That they're taking down West and the "not-Innoventions" part of East?
Not sure what they are actually tearing down/changing. But There is a hallway in between Electric Umbrella and inoventions. The hallway has the bathroom. They could wall that section off and leave electric umbrella alone, although they share a roof. Not sure what the plans are. Guess we will have to wait and see what they do.

brihow

Whatever they end up saving of the communicore/Innoventions buildings, I hope they receive a new paint treatment. The stripes they have now are absolutely hideous.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Not sure what they are actually tearing down/changing. But There is a hallway in between Electric Umbrella and inoventions. The hallway has the bathroom. They could wall that section off and leave electric umbrella alone, although they share a roof. Not sure what the plans are. Guess we will have to wait and see what they do.
Wrong thread, but West is likely to be fully removed and east heavily modified.

Expect food and shopping options to be very different too.

Thelazer

I’m interested in the idea of projection mapped lighting in SSE. And not in a lazy “show movie clips” sort of way.

What if each triangle of SSE’s surface was treated as if it were UoE’s Radok panels? The surface periodically “flipping and shuffling” from one color to another?

That is THE LAST THING Epcot needs.
Doesn't matter if it's clips, or Radok style.. it just simply doesn't need all that visual distortion to distract your eyes.

Less is sometimes more, that was a concept Epcot had right on it's original design, in pretty much all aspects.

Upgrade it to LED, treat it as a static icon, with colors representing some of the original color schemes used when it opened and some new ones never seen before.

tirian

I’m interested in the idea of projection mapped lighting in SSE. And not in a lazy “show movie clips” sort of way.

What if each triangle of SSE’s surface was treated as if it were UoE’s Radok panels? The surface periodically “flipping and shuffling” from one color to another?
I understand where you’re going with it, but I think an understated color cycle on SSE, and lots of kinetic light in the new Communicore, would be a stronger design statement. None of Disney’s projection maps work well except the underrated light show on the Tree of Life. Most of the projection maps on the castle are garish and don’t align properly. I’d hate to see Disney try to match all those tiles on SSE.

tirian

Unless the trees are blocking it, the Magic Eye Theater isn't in the concept image.
View attachment 351930

But the brown box is

View attachment 351931
The brown box has to be outside the monorail brim... 🤔

Very curious:
  1. Trees hiding what will replace Innoventions West area
  2. Lack of trees in the entire bottom right even though a lot of that area is backstage.
  3. What appears to be a corner of black box behind SSE. Hints Project Tomorrow bldg replaced. 😕
  4. No Magic Eye Theater but random big brown box
  5. The concept render is very accurate to the structures of Living Seas and west entry plaza bldg (even down to the stairs and fence) - the clear roof area below the monorail beam is not shown.
The entry plaza looks amazing (minus character topiaries), but clearly there are some weird things happening in central FW west.
Unfinished area in the background? ;)

brb1006

If Innoventions West really is getting removed. Then I'm going to really miss seeing the Illuminated Paving Stones.
FunFindEpcotLightsonGround5.jpg

FunFindEpcotLightsonGround2.jpg

FunFindEpcotLightsonGround3.jpg

FunFindEpcotLightsonGround4.jpg

I think the pavements can be found either at Innoventions East or West behind SSE. But you can correct me If I'm wrong. But I really hope they survive or at least be relocated.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Here's a blast from the past. The day the hat was gone (The page in question is 378) when Martin broke the news. Followed by a flood of cheers and pure joy when they seen it. The thread lasted for over 400 pages!

Hope we get a similar reaction when the removal of the monoliths in front of SSE happens soon.
Thank you so much for sharing this thread of good memories. While I was scrolling through it, I suddenly noticed this post on page 380.
well...almost...

thumb_maelstrom_closed_forever1.jpg

legacy4.gif

the_seas_with_nemo.jpg

73500_10150325954490370_681415369_15813481_5521762_n.jpg

Horizons_Full_777.jpg

journey_into_imagination1.jpg

yeti.jpg

tomorrowland-im-magic.jpg

Many more battles left to fight my friend...many more...in this land and as these photos show...in others...
In just 4 short years, we have now won 2 and a half of the 6 battles. What a time to be alive.

zombiebbq

PRAISE BE TO THE GODS. THE TOMBSTONES ARE DEAD.
They aren't dead... just moved. I don't get the hate for Leave a Legacy. Sure maybe they aren't in a good spot but I always thought it was a really cool idea. Especially when you think how many were done by people who are no longer alive, it would be special for their loved ones to be able to visit that on their vacations.

BrerJon

This is great news - I get that Leave a Legacy was a nice idea as a way for guests to remember loved ones they've lost, and it's nice they're relocating the tiles, but the entrance to a park celebrating the future shouldn't really be the place for a memorial, and it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the original entrance.

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
They aren't dead... just moved. I don't get the hate for Leave a Legacy. Sure maybe they aren't in a good spot but I always thought it was a really cool idea. Especially when you think how many were done by people who are no longer alive, it would be special for their loved ones to be able to visit that on their vacations.
Actually the stones will be dead.. just the photos are surviving..

trainplane3

Well that's what I meant. The rocks are gone but I am glad the plaques are staying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom