News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

EarthboundChild

I am a bit torn.

On the positive side it's good that they are making use of space and more things to do at the park is always a good thing. Plus it's good to have a space for younger audiences. It's to be seen whether this can be a permanent attraction or just a temporary one until they are ready to replace it for an ambitious project ala Camp Mickey into Pandora at AK. The fact that it will come out in time for the 50th anniversary on top of all the other changes across all the Disney Parks gets me concerned that this will a lower budget job. That would be unfortunate and I hope I am wrong as I can see this pavilion having potential to be a more ambitious and cutting edge (albeit inevitably more IP driven) ImageWorks.

The issue that most seem to have is a coherent theme. Right now there isn't really a strong philosophy binding Futureworld as in the past (and let's be frank, that philosophy is outdated and unappealing to the mass audience). The one potential similarity between this and GotG are "Disney IPs with a technology or scifi-bent," which I personally hope that's not where Futureworld is going. It would be nice if we got a more concrete philosophy behind the new Epcot transformation than just "more Disney, timeless, relevant, family friendly" but I suppose they kept it that vague on purpose.

Just to avert some doom and gloom on theming... at least in World Showcase the upcoming projects show some adherence to its vision. China is getting a new 360 film and Canada is getting an update for their film. We could've easily fallen into some Mulan-type injection into the China pavilion instead. The Ratatouille ride, despite being IP-based, at least fits in France given the setting and provides some much needed ride injection into that side of the park.

CalebS

All of this is fine, it doesn’t interest me, but that’s okay it’s for kids. I don’t understand why they couldn’t build this plus a inside out cranium command and a new simulator in body wars though. Why not put a ride and a show in the building plus this elaborate meet and greet space

Bocabear

Wonders Of Life may have not been the best pavilion in EPCOT, but it did have a ride (Body Wars) , a really fun show (Cranium Command), a bunch of hands on displays,and even an F&B location... So while it may not have been the best, it was probably the most complete. I am glad it won't just be a flex space, but I sure wish it had become something amazing... Like tearing down the buildings to put in a forest, seems like there is a better use for that real estate...

EarthboundChild

All of this is fine, it doesn’t interest me, but that’s okay it’s for kids. I don’t understand why they couldn’t build this plus a inside out cranium command and a new simulator in body wars though. Why not put a ride and a show in the building plus this elaborate meet and greet space
I do like the concept another person posted earlier of Cranium Command being transformed into an Inside Out attraction. It would have been a relatively cheap way to get another attraction to handle capacity.

Watch this space.
:cautious:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Let’s not assume Imagineering doesn’t use principals and backstories. They do. It’s just that it’s no longer accessible to guests. They are complicated and detailed. When I heard about the Big Thunder backstory complete with a portrait that looks very much like Tony Baxter, well, I just decided to ignore it.

Future World has an overarching theme: technology innovation.

So we will pretend it is represented in Epcot. (Not really) And it will be fun although largely boring.

You just described not caring to a tee. Don't care if its accessible to guests. Don't care if theme is actually represented.

P_Radden

Mickey Views thinks the ceiling of the dome will be entirely projected now to make it feel like you're in the colorful and futuristic city, do we think this will happen?
Looking at the concept art it appears that lighting will be very much controlled, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see something like that done.
I'm actually pretty excited about this project due to this aspect in particular.

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite aspects of WDW is indoor areas themed to outdoor areas:
maxresdefault.jpg

0d2014cb5256f4ed0202a0f6ef0a686c.jpg

epcot-biergarten-upper-level-dinner.jpg

Avatar-Flight-of-Passage_Full_30300.jpg

cinemas-interior-theater-restaurant-2__880.jpg

pir093458fi.jpg

With a futuristic theme as seen in the concept art, this has the potential to be a really awesome and unique area to experience beyond the attractions and activities it will house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom