The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Gotta say it's so nice to see photos of cars. I'm so sick of seeing SUVs all over the place.
I thought I was the only one that felt that way. The waste of fuel and the alleged social status of SUV's are starting to wear on me. They block everyone's vision on the highway. Sometimes it is important to be able to see far enough ahead to know what is happening. Not wait until the stop lights come on before knowing there is a problem ahead. Trying to get out of a diagonal parking spot when you cannot see if there is anyone coming until you are far enough out in the open to actually be hit. And even though I don't know every individual situation of every SUV owner, there cannot be that many people that really have a need for a vehicle that size.

The only thing good that ever came out of the gas embargo was the downsizing of cars for a few years until everyone got used to the cost of gas and went back to wasting it. Like Texas, here in North Carolina is wall to wall SUV;s and Gigantic Pickups. You can't see around them and you can't see over them it is like following a brick wall down the road. When I see some old redneck dude (about 85 years old) driving a six passenger, mega-dual wheel, rolling fortresses all I can do is laugh and wonder what specific age related problem he is compensating for.

Before I get spat upon, yes, I know that when you have a larger family and have a lot of sporting gear to cart around some things like mini-vans make life a lot easier. And don't get me wrong, I owned one myself back when everyone was home and had pretty much expanded to adult size. (And I loved it, best vehicle I ever owned) but, once they had left home there was no need, so I went back to a sedan. Now granted it was a big ole Cadillac, but, it wasn't 8 feet high and it could be seen around and through to help make it safer on the highway for other travelers.

Anyway, so much for my rant of the day. I do wish that every new vehicle didn't look like every other vehicle, where one SUV or sedan didn't look like every other vehicle on the highway... but, that is a different rant. 🤬😉 You younger folks probably won't remember this, but, when I was a kid, it was common, in the fall, to go around to different car dealerships just to see the new cars, colors and body design. That was well before the internet or High Def. TV's. It was either that or go down to the court yard and watch the grass grow. Now they all look alike so if you see one you've seen them all. And they are white or grey with an occasional red color. As I look out my window to the parking lot in front, there are four dark grey, one silver, three white, two dark blue and one red. Boring!!! My car is a really attractive tan. I bought it because it wasn't grey, silver white or dark blue. If they had a red on the lot, that is the one I would have brought home. Wow, I guess I did manage to squeeze in another rant. Like the Reese's commercial.... Not Sorry. 🙂

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I thought I was the only one that felt that way. The waste of fuel and the alleged social status of SUV's are starting to wear on me. They block everyone's vision on the highway. Sometimes it is important to be able to see far enough ahead to know what is happening. Not wait until the stop lights come on before knowing there is a problem ahead. Trying to get out of a diagonal parking spot when you cannot see if there is anyone coming until you are far enough out in the open to actually be hit. And even though I don't know every individual situation of every SUV owner, there cannot be that many people that really have a need for a vehicle that size.

The only thing good that ever came out of the gas embargo was the downsizing of cars for a few years until everyone got used to the cost of gas and went back to wasting it. Like Texas, here in North Carolina is wall to wall SUV;s and Gigantic Pickups. You can't see around them and you can't see over them it is like following a brick wall down the road. When I see some old redneck dude (about 85 years old) driving a six passenger, mega-dual wheel, rolling fortresses all I can do is laugh and wonder what specific age related problem he is compensating for.

Before I get spat upon, yes, I know that when you have a larger family and have a lot of sporting gear to cart around some things like mini-vans make life a lot easier. And don't get me wrong, I owned one myself back when everyone was home and had pretty much expanded to adult size. (And I loved it, best vehicle I ever owned) but, once they had left home there was no need, so I went back to a sedan. Now granted it was a big ole Cadillac, but, it wasn't 8 feet high and it could be seen around and through to help make it safer on the highway for other travelers.

Anyway, so much for my rant of the day. I do wish that every new vehicle didn't look like every other vehicle, where one SUV or sedan didn't look like every other vehicle on the highway... but, that is a different rant. 🤬😉 You younger folks probably won't remember this, but, when I was a kid, it was common, in the fall, to go around to different car dealerships just to see the new cars, colors and body design. That was well before the internet or High Def. TV's. It was either that or go down to the court yard and watch the grass grow. Now they all look alike so if you see one you've seen them all. And they are white or grey with an occasional red color. As I look out my window to the parking lot in front, there are four dark grey, one silver, three white, to dark blue and one red. Boring!!! My car is a really attractive tan. I bought it because it wasn't grey, silver white or dark blue. If they had a red on the lot, that is the one I would have brought home. Wow, I guess I did manage to squeeze in another rant. Like the Reese's commercial.... Not Sorry. 🙂
A nice shiny red car for you sir 😁
11751957_10153424929416465_5813088733785122074_n.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My favorite flower is peony too! They smell so nice!

I think I've mentioned it before but when I got married I made sure peonies were the main flowers in my bouquet. My mom was against it because she was convinced there would be ants in them because ants were always crawling in the ones from our garden. I pointed out I was getting mine from a florist not the backyard and they wouldn't give me flowers with ants in them. And sure enough they were ant free!:)

Goofyernmost

A nice shiny red car for you sir 😁
View attachment 351157
I used to keep one of those in the trunk of my Cadillac for a spare in case the Caddy broke down. I'm afraid that they will no longer fit in the trunk of my VW.

That bright yellow one in the background is an absolute oddity, but, I admire the boldness of it. I only have 20K miles on this one now and I really like it a lot, but, come September the lease is up and it expires at the same time as the warranty runs out. I can buy it outright, but it would cost me the same as having another 3 year lease on a new one and I would have no warranty. Logically, a no brainer. So new one it is.

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member
I think I've mentioned it before but when I got married I made sure peonies were the main flowers in my bouquet. My mom was against it because she was convinced there would be ants in them because ants were always crawling in the ones from our garden. I pointed out I was getting mine from a florist not the backyard and they wouldn't give me flowers with ants in them. And sure enough they were ant free!:)
Love this!!! Ants do love them-but only outside. 🤣

21stamps

Think it is time to talk to T. He knows he cannot be at 2 places at once. He may have to skip baseball this year if he really lloves soccer.

I’ve emailed both coaches and asked if we could rotate Mondays... I also asked for an honest answer if his playing time will be affected, and if could hurt his chances at soccer tryout decisions (tryouts are week after Memorial Day).

After what happened with those two families this Fall, I have no doubt that they’ll drop my son if they see a “next best thing”, especially if he is missing team practices.

He’s just too young to dedicate his entire year to soccer-only... I’m hoping that they agree with my philosophy here, and that it won’t hurt him.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It started snowing here about 6 am. The ground is all covered in snow now and it is coming down pretty heavy. All schools were closed last night. We are expecting freezing rain by 3. I think the schools closing is a safety issue.

I'm all for closing due to safety concerns, but over the years in MD, they'll close for dustings or it'll snow a little bit then turn to all rain and it'll be above freezing. Then we have parents complaining that there's too many snow days and the school year is extended to make up for the time missed, lol.

MySmallWorldof4

I’ve emailed both coaches and asked if we could rotate Mondays... I also asked for an honest answer if his playing time will be affected, and if could hurt his chances at soccer tryout decisions (tryouts are week after Memorial Day).

After what happened with those two families this Fall, I have no doubt that they’ll drop my son if they see a “next best thing”, especially if he is missing team practices.

He’s just too young to dedicate his entire year to soccer-only... I’m hoping that they agree with my philosophy here, and that it won’t hurt him.
Did you ever have those teachers in school that thought their class was the only important class you were taking? I would think a highly competitive soccer team that T is on would have a coach with the same time of philosophy. Maybe I am wrong? In any case, how is Reilly today?

donaldtoo

I hope so, I still wonder how my mom will take it.
Honestly, she has been getting hit left and right on loses. She lost a lot of her friends already.

I pray she doesn't take it too hard and is able to find peace in a timely manner.
And, she knows that you and the rest of your family who are close with her will be there for her.
Continued prayers for your grandmother and all of y'all.

Songbird76

Hi everyone,
Sorry I've been absent, real life got very real and I didn't feel like being online.
I hope you are all doing well.
It's so good to see you! We were wondering about you. I'm sorry life got real and I hope things have gotten better since you've been gone. Are you just checking in, or are you back to stay for a bit? Glad you stopped by at least!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom