Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

jt04

DHS has tight streets lined with buildings on both sides, which helps hide the view unwanted buildings (like RnRC show building)

Epcot has large open spaces which make it really hard to hide anything

I have tried to imagine a specific location at dhs and it would be fine from certain locations as you say. But it would have overwhelmed from other areas. This is not the case at Epcot unless strategically placing oneself and using a telephoto lens.

Haymarket2008

@marni1971 Okay, so with what you know and what you're allowed to say, is the spine project they are moving ahead with the one that you were hoping for? Or is it a mix of both? Or, worse yet, the one you really didn't want? I know one of the plans was for a total Innoventions removal, so there has to be some silver lining in the new version, right?

Indy_UK

...only by critics who are looking to find fault in everything WDW. I get it, the building is big, and the theme of the attraction might not be the perfect fit, but either wait for it to open before criticizing, or state your opinion and move on. The non-stop bashing over the course of 2-3 years of construction, and then more after opening is tiring.

...and it's not just GoTG. It's TRON, it's Rat, it's everything that is announced or even rumored.

This is not just directed at you, rather all members, and I am critical of TDO at times myself, but try and resist repeating myself over and over and over again.

Amen

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 Okay, so with what you know and what you're allowed to say, is the spine project they are moving ahead with the one that you were hoping for? Or is it a mix of both? Or, worse yet, the one you really didn't want? I know one of the plans was for a total Innoventions removal, so there has to be some silver lining in the new version, right?
Personally? It’s one I didn’t really want. Could have been worse, could have been an awful lot better.

DanielBB8

GotG coaster is an example of an attraction that will no doubt be popular and fun, but placed in the wrong park.

There is zero reason other than the almighty dollar that they couldn't have "plussed" the UoE into a blockbuster attraction with cutting edge technology and even some thrills. They went with GotG because it will sell merch.
Not zero reason. I predict unannounced Epcot transition, which is no different than Mission Breakout transition into Superheroes Land at California Adventure. Long term decisions are being made.

jt04

GotG coaster is an example of an attraction that will no doubt be popular and fun, but placed in the wrong park.

There is zero reason other than the almighty dollar that they couldn't have "plussed" the UoE into a blockbuster attraction with cutting edge technology and even some thrills. They went with GotG because it will sell merch.

Possible if we didn't get the franchise at Epcot it would have taken over ToT.

Jones14

Or Rock N Roller Coaster.
That would’ve been my preference. That ride is certain to get an overlay at some point, and they proved they can do Guardians quickly with Tower in Cali. I imagine it would’ve been even easier for them, since Rock’n’Rollercoaster has far less going on both inside and out than Tower did.

If they’re dead set on bringing a coaster to Future World, turn Energy into one where you learn about the science of rollercoasters a la Sum of All Thrills.

DHS gets a facelift, EPCOT gets a thrill ride and gets to keep its theme intact. Everyone’s happy.

MatheusPG

...only by critics who are looking to find fault in everything WDW. I get it, the building is big, and the theme of the attraction might not be the perfect fit, but either wait for it to open before criticizing, or state your opinion and move on. The non-stop bashing over the course of 2-3 years of construction, and then more after opening is tiring.

...and it's not just GoTG. It's TRON, it's Rat, it's everything that is announced or even rumored.

This is not just directed at you, rather all members, and I am critical of TDO at times myself, but try and resist repeating myself over and over and over again.
I don't need to wait for it to open to know that it will be a thematic disaster... There is no way that a ride based on a franchise that is set on the present (and in space) will make sense in a park wich the theme is OUR FUTURE...

PS: I have no doubts that if instead of GoTG they had chosen Time Racers for that space everyone in this forum would be celebrating even with that horrible building.

sedati

Personally? It’s one I didn’t really want. Could have been worse, could have been an awful lot better.
Well, I'm taking this as a real positive, and here's why- I think you wanted as much of the original spine restored, so I'm assuming your disappointment means it won't be. But you aren't too negative either. So I’m guessing this means a more drastic change that won't cater to nostalgia, but may still prove a decent replacement nonetheless.
If we lose the Earth Station and Communicore structures I personally think it's a step in the right direction though it will ultimately depend on how those spaces are utilized.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom