News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

WDW862

It would be very unusual for a ride to close for a planned refurbishment when Fastpass+ is already available so I would say it'll be open for a rolling 70 days until we hear otherwise.

It's not rumored to close until 2020. Or much later, as Martin has said. If it's closing in 2020, we will hear about it at D23 in July.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's just keep our fingers crossed that adding IP to SSE is recognized even by the current management as going too far...

Do we have any general idea about the dates of the 2019 "regular refurb" that our insiders brought up? That way, we'll know when we might not be able to "get our last rides in" this year?

Hey, didn't Hercules sail with the Phoenicians?

V_L_Raptor

It should be after then.

This is a large project. Far far bigger than the 1993 changes let alone 2007.

At the risk of asking that which cannot be answered, is there any discussion of redoing the track itself? I was on it Sunday and was kind of amazed at the clunking and other noises coming from the vehicles tugging through the path. I know it's been a thing for quite some time, but it's terrible show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At the risk of asking that which cannot be answered, is there any discussion of redoing the track itself? I was on it Sunday and was kind of amazed at the clunking and other noises coming from the vehicles tugging through the path. I know it's been a thing for quite some time, but it's terrible show.
I’d suspect the ride system will be looked at in depth.

SSE_King

I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed that this refurb will still stay true to the original message of SSE, but based on Disney's recent history, I'm not too overly optimistic. 😕

I'll be in WDW in a week, so I'm going to be sure to ride SSE as many times as humanly possible.

Epcot_Imagineer

Last I had read, SSE was limited to getting only a standard refurb in 2019 and that was that. Does there seem to be a change in those plans for having the 2-year refurb become the next refurb? And if so, does anyone have an indication for what sparked this move-up in schedule? The leak people have been referencing, fear of park attendance decline, serious technical problems with the ride, or a combination of all of the above?

EDIT: Of course I neglected to see the marni post from early this morning. Obviously there is quite a change! My question about the schedule re-arrange still stands; though I doubt any info can be shared.

jt04

Last I had read, SSE was limited to getting only a standard refurb in 2019 and that was that. Does there seem to be a change in those plans for having the 2-year refurb become the next refurb? And if so, does anyone have an indication for what sparked this move-up in schedule? The leak people have been referencing, fear of park attendance decline, serious technical problems with the ride, or a combination of all of the above?

My guess is they don't want the park's signature icon to be dated and clunky with all the milestones upcoming. Or worse breaking down and forcing an unplanned closure.

Bender123

I’d suspect the ride system will be looked at in depth.

If I recall, the work to remove the cars is a living nightmare, as there is only a single crane and freight lift that can be used to remove them. Im amazed the ride system has held on for this long...I cant think of another Omni ride that puts that much stress on itself with the massive height changes and length.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom