The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Somehow my response to @Goofyrnmost(see just above a bit) was shaded in with where I quoted him....so I used "edit" and separated his words from mine. ;)
I saw it... it tagged me from your original. I've had that happen many times it's just that you probably started typing ahead of the final [/Quote]. Sort of like this! Below vvvvv
Somehow my response to @Goofyrnmost(see just above a bit) was shaded in with where I quoted him....so I used "edit" and separated his words from mine. ;)Sort of like this!

donaldtoo

I guess it depends... we did DDP in May and came out just a little ahead. DH always seems to pick the most expensive thing on the menu!

I’ve posted this here before, but, not sure if you were around here then...
The only 2 times we’ve ever done the DDP was when I was still a Disney Store CM in the summers of ‘12 and ‘13, and I got it for a 50% discount. So, $30 instead of $60, at the time (going to WDW during the times that the DDP is “free” has just never worked for us schedule-wise).
All other trips we’ve paid OOP. I don’t normally even eat breakfast, other than a juice, and we’ve always shared meals, without anyone ever complaining about being hungry. Always on the go, so it works for us.
With the DDP, I ordered (like your hubby) the most expensive thing ($30+) on the menu every night at our TS ADR. And, dessert too, which I never do in my everyday life...no room! ;) I’m sure that, between those 2 WDW trips and our 2 recent cruises, I ate more desserts than in the past decade otherwise.
It was great to get the 50% discount, but, ultimately, it was still just too darn much food for us...! :in pain: ;)
And now, the plan we had is $75+...!!!!! :eek:
OOP juice and shared meals again for our upcoming October trip...!!! :)

donaldtoo

My dealer's finance guy actually talked me out of that! I kept waiting for the hard-sell, then it seemed like we were almost done. I asked about it, and he showed me a page on the computer of all the recently returned leased vehicles. Most had no extra charges. A few had $100-$400 charges. He said the insurance was something like $755 so don't bother, they want you to be happy and lease again.

OK!

Also I was surprised how much the payments varied at different dealerships. I drove myself nuts for about a week researching cars, prices, etc., going back and forth from buying to leasing. If buying, I was looking at a recent used "certified" Honda CR-V, expected to be very reliable, and had a nice ride for that category. As I went more toward leasing, I ended up with the Toyota RAV4 XLE.

One Toyota dealer was offering $1000 down and $336/month. I almost went for it, but thought it wasn't much of a discount for the "big 2018 leftover sale." Another Toyota dealer called me the next morning, was surprisingly forthcoming with details and pricig over the phone, and offered "sign and drive" (really $500 down to cover first month's payment, title transfer, tags, etc.) and $282/month. (That's a $54/month difference plus $500.) They also offered a little more for my garbage trade, which brought it down a smidge more. So I decided to throw down another $1,000 and ended up with $242/mo. including tax.

What happens at the end I guess depends on how much I like the car, what the offer for me to buy it is, etc.

But it's nice to drive something with modern features for a change!

Nice ride you chose...!!! :)

I’ve always driven the “crap car” in my family...!!!!! :hilarious:
DWifey and the kiddos have always had far better vehicles. They all keep telling me that it’s long past time that I got a nice car for myself, but, I just can’t seem to pull the trigger. After all, it just transportation from point A to B...I don’t need it to look especially good, have the latest tech, etc., as long as it’s, mostly, reliable. It’s almost like it’s a badge of honor for me at this point...!!!!! :hilarious:
Funny thing is, I’m kinda’ (or was, back in the day, anyway ;)) a car guy...I know all about compression ratios, valve timing, torque converters, gear ratios, etc., etc., etc. I love reading tech specs on cars/trucks/SUVs...!!!!! :happy:
Also, cars are definitely not a direct investment in and of themselves (obviously, sans antiques, classics, etc.), so what’s the point, in my mind anyway?
However, that being said, I definitely look at my car as an investment in the sense that it gets me to and from my decent-paying job every weekday (I have no mass transit options), and also regarding the many good-time family outings we’ve had driving places over the years...!!!!! :happy:
Someday, at the behest of my DWifey and kiddos, I’ll probably let my badge of honor go and get myself a nice ride...!!! :)

Songbird76

I never worry about things like that. The worse case scenario concerning the camera is that someone would see me naked and I feel pretty confident that they would shut that down so quick that I would feel the wind from their hand movement. To me life is too short to spend worrying about things that might happen and just concentrate on what I want to do. Everyone else can just pound sand. I know that no one is coming after my money and if they do I hope they brought a very tiny bag to carry it away in. Otherwise they are going to look awfully silly.
To each his own. But, it's a bit different as a woman, and especially as a mom of a beautiful teenage daughter. I doubt the hackers would be shutting it down so fast. She's exactly what they'd be hoping to find in their hacking efforts.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I never worry about things like that. The worse case scenario concerning the camera is that someone would see me naked and I feel pretty confident that they would shut that down so quick that I would feel the wind from their hand movement. To me life is too short to spend worrying about things that might happen and just concentrate on what I want to do. Everyone else can just pound sand. I know that no one is coming after my money and if they do I hope they brought a very tiny bag to carry it away in. Otherwise they are going to look awfully silly.

I agree that if they saw you "au naturel" they'd run for the hills! :p (They'd probably do the same if they saw me, too!) :hilarious: Now, I can't speak for all women, but I will say that as a woman, I'd be very uncomfortable if a camera was "on" while I was at home!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Places like hotels mostly use open networks to connect and then you authenticate. Most of these means people who are skilled can snoop anything.
And some laptops are stupidly configured by default with peripherals visible and shared. I've seen some dumb laptop programmed with preshared cameras (one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, I'm looking at you SONY!). So any skilled black hat dude can actually make the cameras turn on when its connected to the network and thus spy on you.

Yes, I've also heard similar reports like that before. Coming from a well-educated computer person like yourself, it just solidifies how cautious people really need to be. Thanks for sharing.

Goofyernmost

I agree that if they saw you "au naturel" they'd run for the hills! :p (They'd probably do the same if they saw me, too!) :hilarious: Now, I can't speak for all women, but I will say that as a woman, I'd be very uncomfortable if a camera was "on" while I was at home!!
OK, I understand that, but, why wouldn't you have control of whatever camera you have in your house. Don't they have to be activated, if not, why not? And if not, I cannot see any reason to not tape them up. I have had a computer for decades and have gotten along very well without one. Do phones with built in camera's have that same problem?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Nice ride you chose...!!! :)

I’ve always driven the “crap car” in my family...!!!!! :hilarious:
DWifey and the kiddos have always had far better vehicles. They all keep telling me that it’s long past time that I got a nice car for myself, but, I just can’t seem to pull the trigger. After all, it just transportation from point A to B...I don’t need it to look especially good, have the latest tech, etc., as long as it’s, mostly, reliable. It’s almost like it’s a badge of honor for me at this point...!!!!! :hilarious:
Funny thing is, I’m kinda’ (or was, back in the day, anyway ;)) a car guy...I know all about compression ratios, valve timing, torque converters, gear ratios, etc., etc., etc. I love reading tech specs on cars/trucks/SUVs...!!!!! :happy:
Also, cars are definitely not a direct investment in and of themselves (obviously, sans antiques, classics, etc.), so what’s the point, in my mind anyway?
However, that being said, I definitely look at my car as an investment in the sense that it gets me to and from my decent-paying job every weekday (I have no mass transit options), and also regarding the many good-time family outings we’ve had driving places over the years...!!!!! :happy:
Someday, at the behest of my DWifey and kiddos, I’ll probably let my badge of honor go and get myself a nice ride...!!! :)

I think you deserve a nice new car, just for you! Splurge a little -- you only live once! :happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
OK, I understand that, but, why wouldn't you have control of whatever camera you have in your house. Don't they have to be activated, if not, why not? And if not, I cannot see any reason to not tape them up. I have had a computer for decades and have gotten along very well without one. Do phones with built in camera's have that same problem?

You're asking techno questions from a non-techno person. You'd have to ask Cesar.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with a piece of tape over a camera at home, just in case myself or hubs forgot to turn off the Skype thing or whatever.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

SteveBrickNJ

Off and on all day. Like some said, if I don't check it, it piles up. I like to clean it out asap. I text everyone. :joyfull:
Very good. Thanks for your response :) Thinking over those of you who responded, most people( but not all) check their personal e-mail at least twice a day.
My Uncle checks his maybe once a week. He knows all his family members and friends will contact him via text so he thinks it is too much work to look at his personal e-mail :D
My daughter is similarly minded. I encourage her to check her personal e-mail once a day because her high school or the admission departments of her future potential colleges sometimes e-mail her....of course they don't text her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom