The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I heard that about the US....kindergarten is the new first grade. When I was back for my dad's funeral, it was still winter in Wyoming and Dutch winter doesn't really compare. So we didn't really have warm clothes and I said we'd just buy everything when we got to the US. We were at Walmart, and while DD was trying on clothes, I was talking to the gal working by the fitting rooms and she was saying her kids had to learn to read before they got to kindergarten. I'm like....what do they learn in kindergarten then?? She said they had to know how to count to 100 and they had to know how to read. But how are parents supposed to teach that when they don't have the materials at home? I thought that's what school was for!

Sesame Street and Computer Games. Both change childhood learning forever. Also both of my kids were daycare kids. There was structure to their days that included numbers, letters, counting, Letter People, computer time all adjusted to what age group they were in in addition to playing etc. With software developing so rapidly between my 2 kids there were so many computer games that made learning fun. By the time DD went off to Kindergarten she could load software onto the desk top herself.

When my kids were little you could pick out the kids that went to learning centers vs those who did not or parents that were professional educators. Our little Hamlet a bit slow to catch up to the norm went to all day Kindergarten 3 years ago. In Illinois you have to offer both half day Kindergarten if you go to full day. We have 5 sections of Full Day and 1 section that is only partially full for half day. Will be interesting to know how the 14 children in half day size up to the full day students in 1st grade. (I love data) Our District went to a 5 time a year mini assessment that has a baseline in Week 2 until year end, moved away from the spring term mega assessments. You really need at least 3 years of data to fairly assess trends. So 'our' data anyhow should be interesting next fall.
Love love love data.

Now there is a *push* to change the focus of educating teaching professionals that hold Early Childhood Degrees moving forward as most of these students are coming into Pre-K and Kindergarten with a far greater knowledge base than students had in the past.

donaldtoo

Are you still having issues today?

It was still an issue during lunchtime for me today. Pages reloading and this popping up (same as the last few weeks)...

F22F8842-DA4A-49AC-9214-5E57FFB0411B.jpeg

Also, the typing going really slowly, nothing on a page being responsive to touch, losing already typed beginning parts of a post when the page reloads, etc., and even being completely knocked off the site and getting a message regarding such on an otherwise blank screen.

I saw your post earlier, but, had to wait until I got off work to test it out.
Worked flawlessly for about the first 2 hours this evening before it had its first reload. Was getting pretty bad again a little while ago, but, seems to have backed off a bit again for now.

Anyway, that’s about all I have for now. Let me know if I can help by answering anymore questions, and thank you for your concern...it’s much appreciated.

BuddyThomas

Last week of my play at the King's Head Theatre in London, and then everyone can breathe a sigh of relief that I'll stop posting about it, LOL. The reviews were so good that the producer asked me to write a sequel, and said if I did, he would produce it next year. Sequels don't have very good luck, except maybe for Aliens and Godfather 2, maybe a few more that I'm forgetting, but I'm considering it.
CRUMPLE twitter 1.jpgcrumple twitter 2.jpgcrumple twitter 4.jpgcrumple twitter 3.jpg

21stamps

St. Nick left his his presents in a drawer... in his desk at work! 🤦‍♀️😐

So, instead of Christmas themed socks, a word find book, a Goosebumps book, and a slime kit..
he’s now receiving a Nintendo Switch game and a pair of CR7 soccer shoes, from the “Christmas stash”.

I was so proud of myself for remembering ahead of time this year.. and I still messed up. St. Nick and Santa communicate, right? Hopefully? ☹️

donaldtoo

Another update for @wdwmagic...

As I spent the time since my last post catching up on the thread, I had pages reload 4 times and got knocked off the sight again...I took a screenshot of the usual message after getting knocked off...

E84118D7-251D-479D-BD79-BD0D3F7A2F31.png

Also, I am still logged into the site when I pull it back up through Google.
Its been better overall tonight than in quite a while, but, there are, obviously, still issues.

Hope some of this info may be helpful and the issues can be resolved soon, and thanks again for your concern.

donaldtoo

Last week of my play at the King's Head Theatre in London, and then everyone can breathe a sigh of relief that I'll stop posting about it, LOL. The reviews were so good that the producer asked me to write a sequel, and said if I did, he would produce it next year. Sequels don't have very good luck, except maybe for Aliens and Godfather 2, maybe a few more that I'm forgetting, but I'm considering it.
View attachment 331237View attachment 331238View attachment 331239View attachment 331240

DO IT, BUDDY!!! DO IT...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Then that’ll be another play I’ll hafta’ eventually figure out a way to go see...!!! ;) :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I heard the nuns in a nearby school were Nazis in hiding. So glad I escaped that. The cool nuns and some lay staff taught CCD where I went:joyfull: runs and hides under large rock

I had an ex-nun that lived on the property catty-corner behind me. She then taught piano.
Pure Evil lady. I often wondered why she left the order. Then the Deacon moved in with her. He taught CCD with her on Saturdays. He explained to the middle schoolers that more explicitly than this, that they never had 'adult' type relationship 'cause she was Holy 'cause she was an ex-Nun. Crazy nuts.

MySmallWorldof4

I have colleagues at my elementary school who ARE MY FORMER students. Three of um!:eek: They had me as their 5th grade band director....they grew up, went to college, graduated as elementary ed majors and now teach in the building they went to school in as elementary kids.
It's rewarding to be teaching in the same building for over 30 years ( this is my 34th year)
How wonderful for you!

MySmallWorldof4

Yep unfortunately. We are getting prepared. Propane for the fireplace and grill. Water and food tomorrow. If you add up all the weather forecasters are saying, we could get up to 18 inches!!!😡Maybe it will be our biggest and not do much more this year. 😁Last year at this time, we had a big snow right before we left for Disney. We only had little snows of a couple of inches the rest of the winter.
Sympathy like. Too bad you can not just get in the car and go south and avoid it all. ;)

MySmallWorldof4

On a totally different note, I’d appreciate input on 2 different subjects..

1. T has his initial session/evaluation today at 3:30 for acceleration training.. I think I’ve mentioned that his running mechanics are off since his last growth spurt, and he is also getting a lot of leg pain because the kid is not stretching properly.
The running mechanics being off is normal and common in kids, but with his soccer it’s an inconvenient time. A teammate did the training and loved it.
So here’s the thing though- it’s $455 for 6 weeks (three one hour sessions per week). They are supposed to be in their “off season” when doing it. T is currently on 3 sports teams, so it’s definitely not an off season, but it is one of the slower months of the year for him. I was all gung ho for the program to start, everyone who has gone has given nothing but rave reviews... but now I’m questioning it. It’s A LOT of money for me!! No refunds or credits if you pay and don’t use it within 8 weeks from the time of first session (today for us), with the exception of an injury. I wonder- Is he really going to enjoy running on a treadmill 3 hours per week?! I hate the treadmill.. and I run (more accurately-did run, not so much the past year).
Edited to add- it is more than treadmill, there’s a lot of agility exercises as well, but the treadmill/mechanics will be the focus for T more than anything else.
I don’t know if this is really “worth it”.

2. I have 3 kids on my soccer team who’s parents still have not paid their player fees and jersey cost. I’ve sent several reminders to the entire team, as well as to the individual families. Money was due October 31st. I know it’s a crazy busy time of year, and I understand that people forget, I forget a lot of things!.. However, I’m starting to get annoyed now. I’m contemplating sending out another email which states that if player and jersey fees aren’t paid, then a player will not be able to play this weekend. I hate to do that! I hate chasing money..

What would you do?
Running on a treadmill is no fun. That is a lot of money as well. I would put it to a Disney trip instead. ;)

Send out an email to the families.

Figgy1

Premium Member
View attachment 331237View attachment 331238View attachment 331239View attachment 331240
Congrats again! I say try and go for it because you're a talented writer and characters with depth driven sequels have a better chance at success. IMHO You forgot just a few. Star Trek, Star Wars, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wreck It Ralph, Cars. BTW looking at the list I say you need a trip to Disney for inspiration;) Tell the Philmonster it's business related:D;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom