The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
My brother cannot sign his name. It's not laziness or that he didn't learn cursive; he just literally cannot do it. Has to do with the autism. He just signs his name in print on school stuff, and that's fine.

My mom actually stopped writing in cursive on grocery lists and stuff around the house because she wanted my brother to be able to read it, and he just cannot read it. I had a friend back in middle school who was dyslexic, and cursive was just impossible for her. I remember because she could not read our science teacher's handwriting (teacher wrote in cursive). She could sign her name, but let's be honest here: for most people, isn't a signature just their first, maybe middle, and last initials, and then scribble? Yeah...

I am on the boat of cursive does not need to be heavily taught. It can be busywork a bit, but I don't think it should be graded, and I think other than signing a name, it should be optional whether or not to use it. I know I never write in cursive and haven't since middle school (apparently, when I try to write quickly in cursive, it's not, um, legible. At least according to my teachers, who had me switch to print). We have more important things to teach. Like that New Mexico is a state.
My older ds has the same problem. The nice person at DMV said it was ok for him to print his name:joyfull:

donaldtoo

I always thought the working mom thing was more of a 70's, 80's thing. Most of my friends moms were stay at home moms. Mine was one of the few that worked outside the home.

My mother never worked outside the home, until our lil' sis went to the middle school across the street and mom got a job in the school cafeteria. She ended up keeping that job for about a decade, long enough to receive a small retirement check.
It was just the way my folks had it planned out. Both mom and pop worked hard, but, there was always family time.
And, as I've posted before, my pop was never the kind to come home and just plop his feet up with a cocktail. He went to night school, fixed stuff around the house, etc. I remember him being up really late some weeknights doing a car repair.
And, they've been married 68+ years...!!!!! :happy: :)

StarWarsGirl

Considering how bad Edge was.. even when they claimed how good it was and how it was a great replacement.. I am not surprised lol.
They just want to remove the stain of being "that browser used to download chrome or firefox" lol.
Every time I get a new device, I use it to download Chrome, and it says, "But wait! You have the best browser!" It's as bad as men I've turned down.

Songbird76

Kindergarten I believe is not mandatory in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, or it wasn't 10 years ago at least. A kid does not need to be enrolled in public school until they are 6 in PA. If they are homeschooled, they don't need the yearly evaluation until they reach 8 years old. Maybe now it is different in the public schools with kindergarten since they require most kindergartners to be able to read when they finish the year. One of my other friends in NY is a public school Kindergarten teacher. She said when no child left behind started, they got rid of all the play kitchens and other toys from her class. She said Kindergarten became more like first grade at that point.
I heard that about the US....kindergarten is the new first grade. When I was back for my dad's funeral, it was still winter in Wyoming and Dutch winter doesn't really compare. So we didn't really have warm clothes and I said we'd just buy everything when we got to the US. We were at Walmart, and while DD was trying on clothes, I was talking to the gal working by the fitting rooms and she was saying her kids had to learn to read before they got to kindergarten. I'm like....what do they learn in kindergarten then?? She said they had to know how to count to 100 and they had to know how to read. But how are parents supposed to teach that when they don't have the materials at home? I thought that's what school was for!

Songbird76

My 2 older ones were the only ones that did preschool. They did nothing like T. It was more for learning how to use scissors without maiming yourself or someone else. They learned the alphabet, and did coloring. Nothing schoolwork-wise until Kindergarten. You mentioned T forgot some things he had learned just a couple of years later. My now 11 yr old was actually reading words at 1. I would write words on one of those magnetic drawing boards and she would read then. I am not sure if she read the or just had memorized them. There was a tv show called Wordworld that ds watched, so she watched with him. I noticed she picked up in the words. But it wasn’t skmething I practiced with her so of course a couple of years later she couldn’t read a thing. I am not sure how much school type knowledga an infant or toddler can keep in their memory.
Both my kids did preschool, but they didn't do anything about learning to read or write at that age. It was more like building vocabulary. Like, they would do a unit on "fall" and they had a sort of display where kids could bring in things to do with fall that they could touch and see, like leaves, pinecones, mushrooms, etc. And they'd talk about weather, like rain and wind, and they colored umbrellas.
DD was always interested in letters. If one of us was on the computer, she'd crawl in our laps and want to type. So we would put the font on as big as it would go and let her type small words like Oma, Opa, her name, etc. When she got to kindergarten, I told her teachers she really loved letters and asked if I could have the materials they use to teach reading so that I didn't teach her in a different way than they did in school. They said no, they don't do reading until 1st grade. But I couldn't hold her back...she learned on her own. She got to 1st grade and could already read, without me ever doing anything but letting her type on the computer and making the letter sounds. And she started that when she was only 2. I think they can keep it in their memory if they continuously use it. And since DD LOVED language, she read anything she saw. We went into a drugstore (like CVS) when she was 3 or 4, and they had....adult toys on the shelves and she looked and said "That says 'play'." Um....yes...yes it does. So she retained it because she was constantly using it.

Same with DS and adding/subtracting. He was doing sums in the thousands in his head at 5...he was always counting EVERYTHING, from the time he was 2. He loved numbers. And because he was always using it, he retained it. And he also learned a bit from watching DD. So he could read by 1st grade, too....but they didn't do any math or reading stuff in kindergarten, and he was so bored. He really didn't like kindergarten because it was too much craft time and no concrete learning. I think it really depends on the kid, and younger kids pick things up from older siblings.

Songbird76

Another day another
*****RECALL ALERT*****
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...-12-million-pounds/ar-BBQtYP2?ocid=spartanntp
I didn't even have to check:joyfull:
Today we had our last parenting course for Autimaat, so when we got done, DH came with me to the store. We're looking at lettuce and I said it was nice that we could still eat all kinds of lettuce and didn't have to look at the mixes to make sure there was no Romaine in it. He says he heard there was a delivery stopped in Spain at the airport.

Because Romaine in Spain stays mainly on the plane.
:rolleyes: My husband would get along really well with @Mr Ferret 88 .

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Today we had our last parenting course for Autimaat, so when we got done, DH came with me to the store. We're looking at lettuce and I said it was nice that we could still eat all kinds of lettuce and didn't have to look at the mixes to make sure there was no Romaine in it. He says he heard there was a delivery stopped in Spain at the airport.

Because Romaine in Spain stays mainly on the plane.
:rolleyes: My husband would get along really well with @Mr Ferret 88 .
images(3).jpg

Goofyernmost

My brother cannot sign his name. It's not laziness or that he didn't learn cursive; he just literally cannot do it. Has to do with the autism. He just signs his name in print on school stuff, and that's fine.

My mom actually stopped writing in cursive on grocery lists and stuff around the house because she wanted my brother to be able to read it, and he just cannot read it. I had a friend back in middle school who was dyslexic, and cursive was just impossible for her. I remember because she could not read our science teacher's handwriting (teacher wrote in cursive). She could sign her name, but let's be honest here: for most people, isn't a signature just their first, maybe middle, and last initials, and then scribble? Yeah...

I am on the boat of cursive does not need to be heavily taught. It can be busywork a bit, but I don't think it should be graded, and I think other than signing a name, it should be optional whether or not to use it. I know I never write in cursive and haven't since middle school (apparently, when I try to write quickly in cursive, it's not, um, legible. At least according to my teachers, who had me switch to print). We have more important things to teach. Like that New Mexico is a state.
I mostly print due to the fact that I have awful, awful handwriting. I know cursive, but, when I get done I cannot read half the stuff I have written. I suppose that printing is as much of a signature as cursive is. For years and probably now for all I know, an X with a witness was sufficient. That's the way Mongo signed for his CandyGram. Everyone will have their own personal printing signature just like they have their own cursive signature. However, there is an awful lot of cursive still floating around that many people will probably not be able to easily read... The Declaration of Independence, for example. Seem like a bit of a way to suppress or confuse people. Would that be a problem?

1543958523154.png

wdwfan4ver

I know I never write in cursive and haven't since middle school (apparently, when I try to write quickly in cursive, it's not, um, legible. At least according to my teachers, who had me switch to print). We have more important things to teach. Like that New Mexico is a state.
That is nothing. Back when my high school teachers found that our family have a computer, they had to type the reports instead of writing it. I used Clarisworks at the time to do reports.

What happened is I have bad hand and eye coordination and one of the things it affects is my writing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom