The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
No it wasn't phonics, I remember the name... it was called diagramming a sentence.

View attachment 330476

Don't ask me to explain it, I wasn't any good at it 64 years ago, I sure as hell don't remember anything about it other then that it existed.

Wow. That's bizarre. Never heard of that sentence learning method before.

Too bad you didn't have kindergarten. I loved it because we got to color pictures and sing songs, etc. It was a half day program. The teacher would read stories to us every day. The school was within walking distance of home, and my little pal, Cindy, and I would walk to school. Every day we were late. :hilarious: We'd stop along the way and discover the world around us--rocks on the ground, leaves, anything at all, actually.

So our parents started sending us out even earlier, so that we'd be on time--made no difference. We were still late! :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
If Bob Rivers redo his version of 12 pains of Christmas song, he needs to add trying to get proper tracking and get packages from UPS.

My reasoning is how UPS has been for my dad, my younger brother and I this season so far. My dad told me the tracking information has been off. To top it off, they claimed the package will be delivered today Monday, December 4th. The catch is today is Monday, December 3rd, not December 4th:facepalm:.

UPS has been very late delivering packages. The packages have been arriving even at 9:30 at night without ringing the door bell.

Yikes. That's not good. (So far, it's been decent delivery in my area--knock on wood.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I told T about one time when I got in trouble for talking in class.. I had to erase the chalkboards as punishment.
He said “Woah. I can’t beleive they didn’t have smartboards in the olden days. You didn’t have any good stuff back then. I feel sorry for those teachers.”

He always refers to my childhood as “the olden days”.. and I always tell him how great it was to not have cell phones and iPads and pandora and yes, even chalkboards.. kids today will never know the sound of a chalkboard screech 😂

Ha! This is hilarious! :joyfull: (P.S.: Hard to believe a generation of children will not know the sound of nails on a chalkboard?!) ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Also when we were in Disney over Thanksgiving.. I wrote him out a to do list for watching the animals... then I realized it was in cursive... and he couldn't read it... I ended up typing it out and printing it.....:banghead:

That's scary right there. Serious question: For the non-cursive people, do they not ever "sign" their name on anything? Many legal documents require an actual signature, and I'm trying to figure out how these people get around it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I just love the Bush Family made arrangements for Sully. What a life he will lead at
Walter Reed. Awesome Dog.

4821472_sullyfuneralhome09350400.jpg

President George H.W. Bush's motorcade travels through Houston to Ellington Field

Sully's and President Bush's Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/sullyhwbush/

LOVE this.

MySmallWorldof4

I'm trying to remember what happened in my early years of school. For one thing, we did not have a kindergarten or pre-school. We got all our basic reading and writing skills in 1st. grade. And as I recall at the time, if the nuns couldn't convince you with logic they didn't have a problem with beating the point into you.? As far as phonics was concerned we were taught to sound out each letter and put them together when trying to say a word. Which was just exactly how the Phoenicians wanted it when the invented to alphabet. Thank you Phoenicians.
I knew kids that went to Catholic school in the 70’s, and they mentioned getting hit with a ruler. I also learned to read with phonics in 1975. I remember Sesame Street back then used phonics when they taught some words.

MySmallWorldof4

No it wasn't phonics, I remember the name... it was called diagramming a sentence.

View attachment 330476

Don't ask me to explain it, I wasn't any good at it 64 years ago, I sure as hell don't remember anything about it other then that it existed.
My 2 older ones did that with one grammar program they had. They were older though than 1st and 2nd grade. I obviously was the one who taught it to them and I can see how it would be difficult for a little kid to get.

MySmallWorldof4

I told T about one time when I got in trouble for talking in class.. I had to erase the chalkboards as punishment.
He said “Woah. I can’t beleive they didn’t have smartboards in the olden days. You didn’t have any good stuff back then. I feel sorry for those teachers.”

He always refers to my childhood as “the olden days”.. and I always tell him how great it was to not have cell phones and iPads and pandora and yes, even chalkboards.. kids today will never know the sound of a chalkboard screech 😂
Life was easier for adults in the "olden days", for the most part. It would have been nice to have been able to buy a house for $20,000.:rolleyes:

MySmallWorldof4

We found out too late that my husbands son did not no basic adding and subtracting and how to make change. It makes me sick that school just let him through not knowing basic life skills... (he didn't live with us, so we had no idea)

So here's a story for you. He is now 20 and lives with us. His name is Casimere, but he goes by Cazi for short. (notice the difference in spelling)

So he got a new job recently, where they have uniforms with their name in cursive on the patch. I asked him why he put Casi instead of Cazi... he said, "it does say Cazi, that's a lower case Z" I said, "um no, that's a lower case s... you are now cassie" He was so surprised and really thought that a lower case cursive s was a lower case z. What?!?! and THIS is why we need to teach cursive in schools.

Also when we were in Disney over Thanksgiving.. I wrote him out a to do list for watching the animals... then I realized it was in cursive... and he couldn't read it... I ended up typing it out and printing it.....:banghead:
Sympathy like. All my kids, even my 8 year old can read cursive. They may not write cursive all the time, but I made sure they learned it. The school systems are failing the kids. I think unless parents are really involved with their kids schooling, have a kid who is just ambitious, or have a kid in private school, most will just have heads full of mush; but they will know how to use Snapchat, etc.

MySmallWorldof4

It’s crazy, really sad that schools are doing that to kids. I would think they all must be doing basic addition/subtraction/times tables still though, hopefully.

The cursive too!! How are these kids going to sign their names?? My Mom learned shorthand, I didn’t., I get that things change.. but cursive??? No, that should be mandatory.
T has to write his name in cursive on every school paper. The get a deduction, no matter the subject/test, if they print their name.

Does your stepson enjoy Monopoly? It might be a good family game to play one night, and maybe help him.
I was told in our school district it is up to a teacher whether they will teach cursive or not. It is not mandatory. How will these kids learn to sign their names on legal paperwork?

MySmallWorldof4

Too bad you didn't have kindergarten. I loved it because we got to color pictures and sing songs, etc. It was a half day program. The teacher would read stories to us every day. The school was within walking distance of home, and my little pal, Cindy, and I would walk to school. Every day we were late. :hilarious: We'd stop along the way and discover the world around us--rocks on the ground, leaves, anything at all, actually.

So our parents started sending us out even earlier, so that we'd be on time--made no difference. We were still late! :D
5 year olds walking to school unaccompanied by an adult is something you would never see any more either.

Goofyernmost

I stayed at home and played, used my imagination to create things in my mind that didn't exist and act them out. I had a cousin that lived next door and he was two years older then me. He kept insisting that he was going to teach me the alphabet and basic math... I told him to take a hike that was what school was for and right now I want to play. I guess I always was a bit on the stubborn side.

The only reason kindergarten and pre-school happened at all was because the economy made it necessary for Baby Boomer Moms and Dads to work to have all the things that the neighbors had. That gave them someplace to pawn the kids off too and not be in the way of the "better life".

MySmallWorldof4

That's scary right there. Serious question: For the non-cursive people, do they not ever "sign" their name on anything? Many legal documents require an actual signature, and I'm trying to figure out how these people get around it.
I have a friend who is a high school English teacher on Long Island. She said she was entering a student in a writing contest because he was a good writer. He said he could not enter. She asked him why. He told her because he couldn't sign his name on the entry. She then proceeded to teach him how. Just sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom