News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

tractor tipper

It was a joke in reference to this thread’s 600 pages of comments about heat exhaustion, spontaneous combustion, plummeting into gator filled swamps, etc. It’s difficult to find posts with worthwhile content amidst all the nonsense.
I know it was. Was curious though what reality was. Side note the U.S. avgs. 10 deaths a year from elevators.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
It was a joke in reference to this thread’s 600 pages of comments about heat exhaustion, spontaneous combustion, plummeting into gator filled swamps, etc. It’s difficult to find posts with worthwhile content amidst all the nonsense.

See the sad part is, if this entire mass transit plan was done properly there would have never been 600 pages of doubts. If the skyliner took the form of a monorail, light rail, autonomous bus, etc. these questions wouldn’t be an issue. Disney took the cheap alternative and we will see how everything works out this time next year.

Bender123

See the sad part is, if this entire mass transit plan was done properly there would have never been 600 pages of doubts. If the skyliner took the form of a monorail, light rail, autonomous bus, etc. these questions wouldn’t be an issue. Disney took the cheap alternative and we will see how everything works out this time next year.

Except the Monorail and busses are not nearly as efficient as gondola solutions already in use around the world...The issue isn't "are they good" its more that this type of public transport hasn't really been done in the US, outside ski resorts, which are like comparing go karts to a sports car.

Jon81uk

I wouldn't say the cable car system is a less viable system. It might be cheaper but it is still a very capable mass transit system.

The 600 pages are more jokes than doubts. There is no doubt that the gondolas will not have air-con only windows.

We existed fine without air-con on a car for years, just wind the window down if its warm.

Goofyque'

Super fun alternative. I don't care if it is cheaper than a monorail, I think it will be a great addition to the park. The 600 pages of complaints and doubt would have followed no matter what the new addition had been. I scroll through looking for new info as well, and yes, someone may die someday on the gondolas, just like they have at every Disney attraction since 1955.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Have we determined if the gondola cabins will have lighting?

What are the odds these will be retrofitted with ventilation fans or blade fans once Disney realizes that each gondolas is essentially a giant easy-bake oven?

Jon81uk

Have we determined if the gondola cabins will have lighting?

What are the odds these will be retrofitted with ventilation fans or blade fans once Disney realizes that each gondolas is essentially a giant easy-bake oven?

Do ovens normally move along at 20mph with windows open and a ventilation fan?
There are five window vents on each gondala and potentially a floor level vent as well.

monothingie

Premium Member
Except the Monorail and busses are not nearly as efficient as gondola solutions already in use around the world...The issue isn't "are they good" its more that this type of public transport hasn't really been done in the US, outside ski resorts, which are like comparing go karts to a sports car.

The problem is, you state that as fact, but it's only your opinion. A lot of factors go into determining how efficient a transportation system is. Would gondolas be more efficient in NYC as opposed the the subway system, etc.? It's a hypothetical comparison that until you see how the system operates in realtime conditions you can not make an honest comparison. (Perfect example is when the system is shutdown due to inclement weather).

My point was that a lot of the discussion that has happened in this thread is based on assumptions and prejudices for/against the gondola system. What sounds like a good idea on paper may not translate into good execution in real life. Let's see a year and a half from now after the bugs have been worked out how the system operates.

Me personally, I think there is nothing on property as efficient as the WDW Bus System. The amount of guests that are moved on buses quickly, reliably, and safely is remarkable. But there are the drawbacks, as there is with every transportation system out there.

Incomudro

I've got to be honest... just looking at the pics they still seem small to me to imagine 8-10 WDW tourists stuffed in there...

I'll be interested to see in practice how many people are "forced" into one... will it be like an attraction where they sit singles with a stranger when busy, but let them ride alone when not busy? I'd just hate to be stuffed into that thing with too many people to really be comfortable.

It certainly looks small to be in there on a hot and humid day with anyone else outside of your family or travelling group.

Bender123

The problem is, you state that as fact, but it's only your opinion. A lot of factors go into determining how efficient a transportation system is. Would gondolas be more efficient in NYC as opposed the the subway system, etc.? It's a hypothetical comparison that until you see how the system operates in realtime conditions you can not make an honest comparison. (Perfect example is when the system is shutdown due to inclement weather).

My point was that a lot of the discussion that has happened in this thread is based on assumptions and prejudices for/against the gondola system. What sounds like a good idea on paper may not translate into good execution in real life. Let's see a year and a half from now after the bugs have been worked out how the system operates.

Me personally, I think there is nothing on property as efficient as the WDW Bus System. The amount of guests that are moved on buses quickly, reliably, and safely is remarkable. But there are the drawbacks, as there is with every transportation system out there.

The busses are flexible, but batched. Its an extremely inefficient point to point system until you scale up to the point of near insanity. Its a pretty well known and studied math problem that exists in transport and all the way down to a restaurant and manufacturing. Basically, the gondola is an assembly line of transport. The monorail and bus are, essentially "all in". You get the same efficiency with 8 riders as you do with 8000. You only average 80 or so people every 10 minutes per bus route.

The monorail is more efficient than the bus, but its still batched at intervals.

monothingie

Premium Member
The busses are flexible, but batched. Its an extremely inefficient point to point system until you scale up to the point of near insanity. Its a pretty well known and studied math problem that exists in transport and all the way down to a restaurant and manufacturing. Basically, the gondola is an assembly line of transport. The monorail and bus are, essentially "all in". You get the same efficiency with 8 riders as you do with 8000. You only average 80 or so people every 10 minutes per bus route.

The monorail is more efficient than the bus, but its still batched at intervals.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but you just proved my point. Your comments are broad sweeping and do not reflect the operation of the actual systems. Each system operates differently in realtime conditions, you lack sufficient data to establish a reasonable comparison and formulate an objective answer.

Bender123

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but you just proved my point. Your comments are broad sweeping and do not reflect the operation of the actual systems. Each system operates differently in realtime conditions, you lack sufficient data to establish a reasonable comparison and formulate an objective answer.

Except that I literally wrote my graduate thesis on the topic of batch process for my masters degree and used examples from manufacturing and applied them to transportation...so...OK?

Not trying to be a Dick Vandyke here, just that the math checks out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are real life examples of gondolas used in urban settings, just not really in the US. There are also ones used in tourist areas like Macau. Disney guests do behave in a somewhat different manor so it is unproven in the specific environment but there is some historic precedent from similar systems that can be used to draw conclusions.

monothingie

Premium Member
Except that I literally wrote my graduate thesis on the topic of batch process for my masters degree and used examples from manufacturing and applied them to transportation...so...OK?

Not trying to be a **** Vandyke here, just that the math checks out.

Then show me the math. It's very good to generalize, but you lack sufficient data to establish a conclusion.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Super fun alternative. I don't care if it is cheaper than a monorail, I think it will be a great addition to the park. The 600 pages of complaints and doubt would have followed no matter what the new addition had been. I scroll through looking for new info as well, and yes, someone may die someday on the gondolas, just like they have at every Disney attraction since 1955.

I know I’ll like the continual movement / kinetics these will add. However, I do wish they could do something else with the towers... (I know.... I know)

Funny Story: we were on the Disney resort bus coming into DHS. Another guest says, “Did you guys notice all the new monorail towers? That’s awesome!” I leaned over and said, actually that’s a new gondola system they’re adding for transportation. Guest replied, “I like the monorail idea better...” haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom