News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Incomudro

Except that I literally wrote my graduate thesis on the topic of batch process for my masters degree and used examples from manufacturing and applied them to transportation...so...OK?

Not trying to be a **** Vandyke here, just that the math checks out.

Attachments

• WWE-Smackdown-2016-Header-3b61e0b754.jpg
    WWE-Smackdown-2016-Header-3b61e0b754.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 73

Incomudro

Not really. "Want" and "Need" are two different things. These systems are already being used in hot climates without AC. Disney is not getting the first gondola transportation system. This is proven technology.

This "proven technology" (ventilation) has determined what is comfortable to everyone?
Look, I know the gondolas are not getting A/C or fans - that's a fact.
Disney has determined that these device are not cost effective for the application.
So, not needed in their budget.
As far as not needed by individual people well... That's up to the individual.
Until just three years ago, I commuted on the Staten Island Ferry for 30 years.
There is non A/C and there are no fans on the boat.
The boats are well ventilated as they chug across NY Harbor on a hot steamy, summer day.
I know many people who were quite comfortable with that open air breeze.
I also know many people - myself included - who found it to be one of the most uncomfortable means of travel imaginable in the western world.
Comfort is relative.

LukeS7

This "proven technology" (ventilation) has determined what is comfortable to everyone?
Look, I know the gondolas are not getting A/C or fans - that's a fact.
Disney has determined that these device are not cost effective for the application.
So, not needed in their budget.
As far as not needed by individual people well... That's up to the individual.
The boats are well ventilated as they chug across NY Harbor on a hot steamy, summer day.
I also know many people - myself included - who found it to be one of the most uncomfortable means of travel imaginable in the western world.
Comfort is relative.
Comfort is a want, not a need. Just as going to Disney World itself is a want, not a need.

EDIT: I can't believe we're back to this conversation yet again :facepalm:

Amused to Death

I do wish they could do something else with the towers...

But what? I think the idea is that they just sort of disappear by not drawing attention. I can certainly imagine worse things for the towers. Like those tacky Minnie Mouse cars driving around property. Do we really want to see red towers with polka dots? Instead of complaining, we should probably all be thanking Disney for using some restraint for once. :D

Is there something that is inherently more attractive about monorail beams, by the way? Especially ones that are covered with black mold and grime?

Guest replied, “I like the monorail idea better...”

Not me! I won’t miss the smell of wet bandaids and kitty litter. Or being packed like sardines. Or trying to climb over strollers that are bigger than my first car.

Last edited:

Amused to Death

For ultimate personal comfort, there is always the option of using your own or a rented car for transport.

I'm a local, so I'm pretty much always in my own car. To get to/from the MK, I prefer the boats.

It's funny, I have a friend who was just here for the D23 event. The event was at the Contemporary and he was staying at the Grand Floridian. He paid for a car rental so he wouldn't have to ride the monorail from the GF to the Contemporary. That should tell you something about his love for the trains. LOL!

Last edited:

Andrew M

Comfort is relative.

Except when it's the first hot day of spring and nobody has opened the side windows yet on those horrible 1981 boats.. who thought it was a good idea to not have open balconys?!?

Purduevian

Then show me the math. It's very good to generalize, but you lack sufficient data to establish a conclusion.

I'm not Bender123, but I did some math between Gondolas and buses a few pages back in this thread:

Lots of questions on how bad the lines will be at the end of a day. So what is a realistic expectation? Leaving from DHS actually seems worse than EPCOT because some people might want to take the gondolas and not the boats or walk.

Skyliner Room Counts:
AoA: 1984
POP: 2880
Caribbean Beach: 2112
Riviera: 300
Total: 7,276 @ 3 people per room = 21,828 people

EPCOT Resorts Serviced:
Boardwalk: 378
Boardwalk Villas: 532
Beach Club:583
Beach Club Villas: 282
Yacht club: 630
Swan: 758
Dolphin: 1509
Total: 4,672 @ 3 people per room = 14,016

How many will be at DHS?
EMH can pull extra people to different parks, however there are still 3 other parks, 2 water parks, pool days, Universal, Sea World, DS, ect. Lets assume EMH pulls a whooping 25% of guests to DHS that day (Lots of Star Wars Fans).
Skyliner Exclusive resorts: 5457 people
EPCOT Resorts: 3504 people

How many will be leaving at the same time?
Just a guess (someone probably has better numbers?) but lets say 70% of people stay for F! or Star Wars Fireworks
Skyliner Exclusive Resorts: 3820 people
EPCOT Resorts: 2453 people

Assuming about half of the EPCOT Resorts crowd takes the boats or walks, that leaves 5047 people wanting to get on the skyliner. At 5,000 people an hour it will take just over an hour to get everyone on board.

Compare that to buses for the 3820 at the exclusive resorts (EPCOT will take boat or walk). To get through all these people in an hour:
AoA needs a 100 person bus every 6ish minutes
Pop Needs a 100 person bus every 4ish minutes
Caribbean Beach 100 person bus every 6ish minutes
AND a Riviera 100 person bus every 30 minutes

The Skyliner will defiantly help get everyone back to their hotel much faster than buses even on pretty extreme days.

I can do a thought experiment on the monorail too if you like, but I thought it was irrelevant as it does not run to the hotels that Skyliner does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom