Indiana Jones Land?

Maeryk

Out of all of the decisions that don't make sense with WDPR, closing GMR to build a new ride still comes off as one of the most pants-on-head decisions they have made in recent years.

Ehh. DHS is the biggest direct competitor to the folks down the street. It has the two thrilliest of rides, and will have the land that makes potterville look like petticoat junction. Having a very dated ride with broken animatronics, referencing movies, many of which are more than 50 years old is kinda ehh.

I loved TGMR too. But the park has moved beyond "you are in the movies" and it was dated. I'll probably get mad heat for it, but I'm not sad to see it go. It's not Snows Scary Adventures or Me Toad.

Maeryk

This is is basically what I was thinking. Yeah, Indiana Jones is clearly derivative. But it's so well known and entrenched in popular culture that it basically is the archetype now for the genre. Everything in that vein inevitably gets compared to Indiana Jones as a point of reference.

The idea of Indiana Jones "not holding up over time" is just laughable.

Of course it's derivative. That's what Lucas does. Takes tropes and idiom from pop culture and makes a loud, glowing homage to them.

I Jones is Alan quartermain, doc Savage, and half a dozen other pulp and serial archetypes rolled into one perfect character. Just as Star Wars was spaghetti Western meets Kurosawa, but in space and without a mifune topknot (until Liam neeson showed up).

It is timeless because it's building on foundations laid in the 1800s, serialized into more familiar period pieces.

And even if Harrison Ford can't do it, you can still mine that property. Don't forget the young Indy series.. ripe for a reboot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just to be clear, there's no new information here, right?

Correct. The author is taking mostly from here and bits from Corless and Hill and then 'connecting dots.' But, if you did that half a year ago, you'd be saying that there was going to be an Indy Land in DAK. Connecting dots when plans are still shifting and unsettled is pretty useless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I need a zipped mouth emoji.

In an emoji editor, type 'zip'. 🤐

Increasing its font size helps. 🤐

The WDWMAGIC Forums now support emoji 🤓 - which means you can use any of your favorite emoji from your 📱device! You are no longer restricted to the built in smilies.👍

You can use emoji anywhere that test can be entered

Here is the emoji keyboard in use on an iPhone - and it is done in just the same way as if you are using iMessage or another app.

View attachment 254856

Using a MAC
  1. Place the cursor where you can enter text on a Mac
  2. Press Command + Control + Spacebar concurrently to bring up the Emoji quick type panel
  3. Select your emoji to immediately type it on the Mac
Using Windows 10
  1. Windows Key and Period / Full Stop Key ( . ) will bring up the emoji panel
NOTE
Emoji should not be confused with Smilies, though they serve a similar purpose. Emoji are typed directly from an emoji keyboard layout, while smilies are typed as strings of characters that are converted to images.

britain

Of course it's derivative. That's what Lucas does. Takes tropes and idiom from pop culture and makes a loud, glowing homage to them.

I Jones is Alan quartermain, doc Savage, and half a dozen other pulp and serial archetypes rolled into one perfect character. Just as Star Wars was spaghetti Western meets Kurosawa, but in space and without a mifune topknot (until Liam neeson showed up).

It is timeless because it's building on foundations laid in the 1800s, serialized into more familiar period pieces.

And even if Harrison Ford can't do it, you can still mine that property. Don't forget the young Indy series.. ripe for a reboot.

You could almost put Indy in an “Adventure” Land. 🤪

fgmnt

Ehh. DHS is the biggest direct competitor to the folks down the street. It has the two thrilliest of rides, and will have the land that makes potterville look like petticoat junction. Having a very dated ride with broken animatronics, referencing movies, many of which are more than 50 years old is kinda ehh.

I loved TGMR too. But the park has moved beyond "you are in the movies" and it was dated. I'll probably get mad heat for it, but I'm not sad to see it go. It's not Snows Scary Adventures or Me Toad.

Ignoring the obvious retorts of that it was, through its whole life, an attraction that could have been better cared for...

That was not the point of the post. It was a high capacity, indoor attraction in a park that will be sorely in need of high capacity indoor attractions like it VERY SOON. Instead of adding capacity in the park, they are making, at best, a lateral move.

rle4lunch

An Indiana Jones land in the Echo Lake area with multiple rides would be a nice addition to DHS. Maybe taking inspiration from the old IJ and the Lost Expedition plans. Hopefully, were that to pass, it would be in addition keeping Star Tours or whatever that becomes.

An Indiana Jones mine train ride overlay of star tours would be perfect.

jt04

Is there any chance that the reason Joe Rohde came out to Florida was to make a decision regarding Indy? I know he's heading up Marvel, but an Indy land seems to be right up his alley, even if it goes to DHS

He seemed to indicate some big decisions were being made but it could be in regards to any number of things.

rle4lunch

Oh please no.. can we get away from a simulator that you can ride in several shopping malls? Build an actual mine train. Coasters are relatively cheap.

You gotta take into consideration that they'll have one awesome ride (Shanghai pirates tech perhaps) and one so-so ride that keeps the line down on the e ticket. Plus, it's wdo, so this is an easy, fast(only 3 years to reskin it lol), and cheap way to grow the new land.

Maeryk

You gotta take into consideration that they'll have one awesome ride (Shanghai pirates tech perhaps) and one so-so ride that keeps the line down on the e ticket. Plus, it's wdo, so this is an easy, fast(only 3 years to reskin it lol), and cheap way to grow the new land.

Star tours still gets lines. I don't see any reason they would pull it and make it something else, rather than stick to the brand they have invested a literal ton of money into, as SWGE opens. Maybe some new videos featuring GE, but it seems nonsensical to me to pull out known and adored SW content when opening a new SW experience that compliments it.

rle4lunch

Star tours still gets lines. I don't see any reason they would pull it and make it something else, rather than stick to the brand they have invested a literal ton of money into, as SWGE opens. Maybe some new videos featuring GE, but it seems nonsensical to me to pull out known and adored SW content when opening a new SW experience that compliments it.

They're replacing the one in DL. Just assumed they'd do the same with the one at dhs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom