News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Aries1975

And more from bioreconstruct today:

Is the dome going to be glass? I can see the benefit of bringing light into such a large building. Will it be an atrium or simply a roof-top restaurant with nice view? A quick Google search of "dome" and Monte Carlo brings up stunning images which may have provided inspiration for the new hotel.

I am a little surprised. I thought a non-descript neutral (tan, beige, gray, taupe) colored building would just blend when it was completed. Given the distance, I thought the architectural details (iron work, masonry, etc.) of the Rivera building would be insignificant behind the German Pavilion. A dome is such a large feature, obviously, noticeable from a distance.

I am going to reserve judgement until the building is completed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is the dome going to be glass? I can see the benefit of bringing light into such a large building. Will it be an atrium or simply a roof-top restaurant with nice view? A quick Google search of "dome" and Monte Carlo brings up stunning images which may have provided inspiration for the new hotel.

I am a little surprised. I thought a non-descript neutral (tan, beige, gray, taupe) colored building would just blend when it was completed. Given the distance, I thought the architectural details (iron work, masonry, etc.) of the Rivera building would be insignificant behind the German Pavilion. A dome is such a large feature, obviously, noticeable from a distance.

I am going to reserve judgement until the building is completed.
I don’t think that dome is anything more than an architectural element. I think the big dome in this picture:

622D688E-E577-4343-90B0-F4EE52696CC9.jpeg

Is the dome in the top of this picture:
6B1B67CE-B394-463D-9AC5-9B45938A6FA3.jpeg

But the rooftop lounge is probably going to be in the middle of the building. There are several other structures on the roofline that look like they will just be decoration. It’s a pretty solid looking metal frame, but they do have to make it hurricane resistant and it’s high up.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the view from EPCOT yet. Those pictures are extremely zoomed in. That’s not what it looks like for a person looking with the naked eye. I do worry something will be visible, especially the lounge area. In order to have unobstructed views in from the hotel there have to be views of the hotel from inside the park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are the areas of the Riviera resort that are visible in Epcot the likely location of the Brazil pavilion?
Good call.

I think there are expansion pads on both sides of Germany, but the one between Germany and Italy is smaller. I think the pad between China and Germany (I think I saw a map a while back that it’s really 2 smaller pads next to each other) is the most likely spot for a new country and that is the spot directly in front of the picture posted above. You may be on to something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No. In the picture above, you see Riviera sticking up over to the left of Germany. Brazil is going to the right of Germany.
I haven’t kept up on the Brazil rumor. They are going with the small pad between Germany and Italy? I know they use the one between China and Germany for fireworks but it seems so much bigger for a new country.

2DD64995-2A60-4138-9914-8C8120A06417.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I haven’t kept up on the Brazil rumor. They are going with the small pad between Germany and Italy? I know they use the one between China and Germany for fireworks but it seems so much bigger for a new country.

View attachment 321137

Yes, between Germany and Italy for Brazil. The pad between Germany and China is indeed used for fireworks such that any new pavilion(s) there would need their Eastern side hardened against fire (some nice concrete work would work, I'd imagine).

As for keeping up with rumors, there's a thread for that. :)

Google Earth Pro tour of WDW with some rumored and expected projects added.

If it moves too slow or fast for you, hit the gear icon and change the speed.

RSoxNo1

No. In the picture above, you see Riviera sticking up over to the left of Germany. Brazil is going to the right of Germany.
I know that's what @marni1971 has said, but considering how on again/off again Brazil has been and the reported budget, I'd think they would need the larger space. I gotta believe anything Fireworks related that's happening in this spot wouldn't prevent this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know that's what @marni1971 has said, but considering how on again/off again Brazil has been and the reported budget, I'd think they would need the larger space. I gotta believe anything Fireworks related that's happening in this spot wouldn't prevent this.

Along the southern border of Epcot, most pavilions don't utilize their full pad, with the exception of Japan. That's why they can build a huge courtyard behind France. And, theoretically, Brazil could not only use the further back portion of their pad that most don't use, it can also gobble up the unused back sections of Italy and Germany... if it needed the room for a giant E-Ticket footprint.

And today...

View attachment 293902

A few things:
  • Orange areas are open areas.
  • Red areas are where there would need to be some deconstruction before reconstruction. In the end, these are expendable if you have the sponsors for a new pavilion:
    • World Showplace (Millennial Village)
    • Canada's Garden and nipping a bit from Imagination.
    • Sommerhus
  • The place where the African Outpost is designated for two pads, but, being up against the fireworks works, the eastern part on the canal would have to be covered and hardened against fireworks.
  • The IG is taking up part of one of the original pads. A half-pad is still open between it and the UK as well as backstage areas.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
*ducks in*
Brazil between Germany and Italy. The Africa pads are reserved.
*ducks out*

grimb168

Pad between Italy and Germany has Disney performing arts building on it but I have been told they area coming down. There is also a new building (tent) going up behind that pad. I would guess for candlelight procession changing area and warmup

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom