News Disney Riviera Resort announced

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you are dead on. I mean, look at Bay Lake Tower. Every concern people have about Riviera has already been realized at BLT. Ugly generic exterior. Check. Uninspired boring interior? Check. Cheap finishes? Check. Bad sightlines from in the park? Check.

And they didn't have any issues selling points there. Ultimately, the new DVC members don't seem to care about the quality of their accommodations, just that they are near the parks. :shrugs:
I will disagree some on BLT. It actually fits it’s theme pretty well and IMHO blends well with the existing CR. Really if you don’t like the look than (nostalgia aside) you probably don’t like CR either. I’m sure at least a few people will disagree, but if you are being honest with yourself you will probably realize there’s at least a grain of truth to it. It’s a matter of theme preference. The interiors while beat to death by the churn of guests and near continuous 100% occupancy are on par with or better than most other DVC resorts.

As far as location being the main selling feature, that’s all of WDW. People spend $100+ a night to stay at the all stars which have rooms on par with the average Holiday Inn a few miles away which is half the price and that’s actually being generous. DVC owners are no different than other WDW guests who pay to be in the bubble.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I knew I should have copyrighted and trademarked the term "blandification" when I first used it... ;)

BLT sold as well as it did due to three things: Location, location, and location. You cannot beat it's location if you visit MK, and even Epcot, frequently during a stay there. It remains a popular DVC reservation because of that. The rooms are a solid "meh", neither horrid nor astounding. You have to walk over to the Contemporary for any retail or food service. Riviera has a leg up on BLT from that aspect, and it's location on the Skyliner should make it popular for those visiting Epcot and DHS. I expect it will be similarly difficult to find a room there because of those things.
I agree that location and transport will be the big selling features.

I’m gonna defend BLT again...the walk from BLT to CR for restaurants is actually shorter for a lot of rooms than walking internally from your room to in resort dining in resorts that are more spread out like BW or AK.

As far as Riviera the walk to CBR for food should be relatively short and it should have a pool bar and some food options in the rooftop lounge. You will also be a short gondola ride to BW/BC/YC plus World Showcase for plenty of dining options.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I do not think it will "suck". I do think that they missed the mark...again. The new hotel near Swan and Dolphin, the newly released concept art for the DVC resort near WL and this Riveria Tower are just plain boring by Disney resort standards. I am sure the interior will be lovely, but I do not understand the shift in resort design from what was once an actual theme to what we see now which is "upgraded Best Western" exterior.
You forgot the tower at Coronado Springs :)

It’s hard to argue that this is not beginning to become a trend. I’m holding out some hope for Riviera’s exterior. I think there will be more subtle detail than the concept art shows and with the pool area largely unknown they could still wow us with some exterior components but it will unlikely reach the level of a place like Wilderness Lodge. I still think WDI has it in them to build a fabulously themed resort.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I will disagree some on BLT. It actually fits it’s theme pretty well and IMHO blends well with the existing CR. Really if you don’t like the look than (nostalgia aside) you probably don’t like CR either. I’m sure at least a few people will disagree, but if you are being honest with yourself you will probably realize there’s at least a grain of truth to it. It’s a matter of theme preference. The interiors while beat to death by the churn of guests and near continuous 100% occupancy are on par with or better than most other DVC resorts.

As far as location being the main selling feature, that’s all of WDW. People spend $100+ a night to stay at the all stars which have rooms on par with the average Holiday Inn a few miles away which is half the price and that’s actually being generous. DVC owners are no different than other WDW guests who pay to be in the bubble.
You make a persuasive case, I just happen to completely disagree. I find BLT to be a blander cousin to CR. I don’t find it a stylistic match with CR at all.

As far as the rooms...Of all the DVC properties I’ve stayed at BLT is last, and it’s not close. Cheap finishes, poorly maintained, bland. I doubt I’ll ever stay there again. And my contract goes for another 24 years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You make a persuasive case, I just happen to completely disagree. I find BLT to be a blander cousin to CR. I don’t find it a stylistic match with CR at all.

As far as the rooms...Of all the DVC properties I’ve stayed at BLT is last, and it’s not close. Cheap finishes, poorly maintained, bland. I doubt I’ll ever stay there again. And my contract goes for another 24 years.
Bland is a matter of taste and you aren’t alone with that opinion. I think I’m probably in the minority, but BLT is actually more contemporary than the contemporary. I do buy the argument that the charm of CR is that it’s what contemporary was in 1971 so it’s really timeless.

As far as interiors go I have only ever stayed in the villas but I have heard the studios are smaller than most. The villas have a kitchen pretty much on par with any of the other resorts. The pull out couch and sleeper chair and beds are about the same. The master bath has a very nice shower. The main thing I’m not a fan of is the bathroom doors. I wouldn’t call it cheap, but I prefer a door that just closes and locks instead of the sliding door and weird latch.

I do wonder if BLT will get the new faux wood floors that have been going everywhere else. I am assuming that Riviera will start out with it. It does stay nicer than carpet with spills and wear.

MickeyMinnieMom

I do wonder if BLT will get the new faux wood floors that have been going everywhere else. I am assuming that Riviera will start out with it. It does stay nicer than carpet with spills and wear.
But it's worse wrt noise, no? That would be my only issue with it. We've opted not to stay on the floor immediately below the 3BRs because of the crazy amount of noise we had to deal with on one trip with kids running back and forth above us. Having stayed in the 3BR it looks lovely, but I think I'd opt for quiet, personally.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I agree that location and transport will be the big selling features.

I’m gonna defend BLT again...the walk from BLT to CR for restaurants is actually shorter for a lot of rooms than walking internally from your room to in resort dining in resorts that are more spread out like BW or AK.

As far as Riviera the walk to CBR for food should be relatively short and it should have a pool bar and some food options in the rooftop lounge. You will also be a short gondola ride to BW/BC/YC plus World Showcase for plenty of dining options.

Now that I think more about the walks around various resorts, I'd have to agree that the walks are shorter at BLT than other places. Good point. And the walk is covered, which can be a bonus, although if wind blows the rain into the walkway that roof is not doing much good. ;)

Skibum1970

Quick question, which I'm not sure if it has already been answered. What level will this DVC be, in terms of cost? Obviously, the GF, Poly, and BLT are more expensive, Epcot DVC's, WL, and AK are mid to upper, and OKW and SS are probably the lower end. Where will this end up? Also, bear in mind that I don't the exact points for the Epcot resorts. Was basing this comment on Dave's DVC costs per week. I just wondered how the expected cost or level for Riviera ranked against the other DVC's.

peter11435

Quick question, which I'm not sure if it has already been answered. What level will this DVC be, in terms of cost? Obviously, the GF, Poly, and BLT are more expensive, Epcot DVC's, WL, and AK are mid to upper, and OKW and SS are probably the lower end. Where will this end up? Also, bear in mind that I don't the exact points for the Epcot resorts. Was basing this comment on Dave's DVC costs per week. I just wondered how the expected cost or level for Riviera ranked against the other DVC's.

I don’t believe anyone here knows what the points chart for this will look like yet. However you can be sure the price per point to buy in will be in line with other recent DVC additions.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Personally, due to its inclusion in the Skyliner route and thus quick access to two theme parks, I'm expecting this DVC resort to be on the higher end of the points charts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But it's worse wrt noise, no? That would be my only issue with it. We've opted not to stay on the floor immediately below the 3BRs because of the crazy amount of noise we had to deal with on one trip with kids running back and forth above us. Having stayed in the 3BR it looks lovely, but I think I'd opt for quiet, personally.
I’m not sure which is louder. It’s not real wood, the material is almost spongy and has some give plus there’s a sound proofing underlay. The old, thin carpet doesn’t do much to absorb sound either. I’d say it’s probably a wash.
Arguably the most egregious recent trend in hotel/hospitality design.
I don’t mind it. It stays cleaner than carpet, especially when a hotel allows pets (not a problem yet at WDW).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Personally, due to its inclusion in the Skyliner route and thus quick access to two theme parks, I'm expecting this DVC resort to be on the higher end of the points charts.
I’d expect it to be on par with the recent offerings. There definitely won’t be a point per night discount. The maintenance fees may be slightly lower than some due to the large number of overall points to spread costs over and also the building being a tower vs a series of smaller buildings. The only bump in fees could be paying for a portion of the skyliner costs but I have no clue if that’s more or less than the cost of busses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Too noisy for my taste. And I hate the incongruity between the look and the "feel" when I walk on "wood look" laminate.

Also I prefer real anything to faux anything. Except fur.
Valid points. It has a unique feel to it. Almost spongy when you expect rock hard.

I’ve seen it springing up at various hotel chains. Seems to be catching on.

Lensman

Too noisy for my taste. And I hate the incongruity between the look and the "feel" when I walk on "wood look" laminate.

Also I prefer real anything to faux anything. Except fur.
Ah, the feel of luxury vinyl!

Isn't the alternative wall-to-wall carpeting also synthetic (i.e. faux)? I don't think Disney was putting in real wool carpeting, right?

But I know what you're saying. :)

Ironically, for practical reasons we just put in the tile-that-looks-like-wood-plank throughout our whole house.

Missing20K

Seems to be catching on.

Unfortunately.
Ah, the feel of luxury vinyl!

Isn't the alternative wall-to-wall carpeting also synthetic (i.e. faux)? I don't think Disney was putting in real wool carpeting, right?

But I know what you're saying. :)

Ironically, for practical reasons we just put in the tile-that-looks-like-wood-plank throughout our whole house.

Synthetic fiber carpet is still "real" in that it is not attempting to portray something it is not. Maybe "authentic" would have been a better word choice. :cool:

Cynically, you will be reminded it's tile with each and every step and dropped item. ;)

Alas, each to their own, and makes the world go 'round, and different strokes, and such and such. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom