News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ticketing web pages down for the update...

1539663263945.png

wannabeBelle

...”you were saying?”

About softness this fall/next year?

This is an unprecedented move out of desperation....it’s honestly never been seen.

Lowering annual pass prices? That combined with nickel and diming recently announced creates an interesting picture.
Lowering AP pricing?? I saw increases almost across the board on all of the reporting I have seen on it so far, except for one type of water park pass. Did I miss something? Marie

MickeyMinnieMom

Nope. You didn't miss anything, @wannabeBelle...

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/magi...nual-pass-price-increases-effective-today.htm

Along with the introduction of date-based tickets and pricing, Walt Disney World annual passes have been updated.
  • The Disney Platinum Plus Pass is now $994, up from $949. (Before any discounts for Florida Residents)
  • The Disney Platinum Pass is now $894 up from $849. (Before any discounts for Florida Residents)
  • The Gold Pass is now $609, up from $589.
  • The Silver Pass is now $479, up from $439.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lowering AP pricing?? I saw increases almost across the board on all of the reporting I have seen on it so far, except for one type of water park pass. Did I miss something? Marie
Nope. You didn't miss anything, @wannabeBelle...

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/magi...nual-pass-price-increases-effective-today.htm

Along with the introduction of date-based tickets and pricing, Walt Disney World annual passes have been updated.
  • The Disney Platinum Plus Pass is now $994, up from $949. (Before any discounts for Florida Residents)
  • The Disney Platinum Pass is now $894 up from $849. (Before any discounts for Florida Residents)
  • The Gold Pass is now $609, up from $589.
  • The Silver Pass is now $479, up from $439.

Well...I totally misread that article 🤪

...I guess we’re back to business as usual...because today is a day that ends in “y”

I do think I’m done with annual passes...been 15 years or so off and on...
It’s the mentality of everything that’s getting to me...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So I’m at AK right now, and I want to say that the wait times for Flight of Passage have been inflated all day.
How many theatres are running? FOP is a notoriously unreliable crowd barometer.

If it’s quieter they’ll employee less cast. Which closes theatres. Which extends the lines. Which makes it seem busier. But it’s quieter.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Unsure if this has been said but, Magic kingdom was gonna close most of Jan-March around 6pm without happily ever after, The time has been changed to 8pm closing with happily ever after at 8pm
That could have been a preliminary calendar...magic closed at six like...never. Especially not March.

They are probably working on their upsell menu - to be honest.
There was a whole raft of other early closings in all parks that are currently on hold. Kind of a wait and see mentality.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If it’s quieter they’ll employee less cast. Which closes theatres. Which extends the lines. Which makes it seem busier. But it’s quieter.

I think @Princess Leia is saying that the wait in line was much shorter than the reported queue time as seen on MDE or the sign at stand-by. Lots of reports how that reported wait time is inflated for most of the big attractions. In fact, here and on /reddit people have been reporting that their FoP has been much shorter than the reported stand-by time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think @Princess Leia is saying that the wait in line was much shorter than the reported queue time as seen on MDE or the sign at stand-by. Lots of reports how that reported wait time is inflated for most of the big attractions. In fact, here and on /reddit people have been reporting that their FoP has been much shorter than the reported stand-by time.
The in-laws did standby last month. Both times it was surprisingly accurate.

Princess Leia

Sorry Martin, I’m not sure. It seemed like it was staffed well though. Around 11 on Monday it was still set at 165, and no one was queuing outside (we walked right through what is normally the outside queue to get from NRJ to Satu’li, and all three of us expressed some shock that they hadn’t lowered the wait time).

Everything (minus Test Track and Frozen) was a walk on by yesterday evening. TT was technically a walk on if you did what my friends and I did, which was employ the single rider option. Lines for the F&W kiosks were minimal.

It’s a little weird for me that yesterday was my last day at a WDW for a few years. Today we’re doing Universal, and then tomorrow I leave when everyone else is doing DHS. For me, cost is definitely a factor, as is knowing that if I wait, I can experience SWGE, Ratatouille, Tron, GotG, the new Epcot show (RoE looked stunning last night), whatever new show goes into DHS, Brazil (I hope?), and the new HP coaster at IoA. I waited 9 years before, I can go for 4 (plus, I think I’m probably going to go to Disneyland at some point too).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry Martin, I’m not sure. It seemed like it was staffed well though. Around 11 on Monday it was still set at 165, and no one was queuing outside (we walked right through what is normally the outside queue to get from NRJ to Satu’li, and all three of us expressed some shock that they hadn’t lowered the wait time)..
Thank you. Yes, the display was too high. If it were 165 the line would be down the hill outside. Oopsie.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The in-laws did standby last month. Both times it was surprisingly accurate.
Sorry Martin, I’m not sure. It seemed like it was staffed well though. Around 11 on Monday it was still set at 165, and no one was queuing outside (we walked right through what is normally the outside queue to get from NRJ to Satu’li, and all three of us expressed some shock that they hadn’t lowered the wait time).

Everything (minus Test Track and Frozen) was a walk on by yesterday evening. TT was technically a walk on if you did what my friends and I did, which was employ the single rider option. Lines for the F&W kiosks were minimal.

It’s a little weird for me that yesterday was my last day at a WDW for a few years. Today we’re doing Universal, and then tomorrow I leave when everyone else is doing DHS. For me, cost is definitely a factor, as is knowing that if I wait, I can experience SWGE, Ratatouille, Tron, GotG, the new Epcot show (RoE looked stunning last night), whatever new show goes into DHS, Brazil (I hope?), and the new HP coaster at IoA. I waited 9 years before, I can go for 4 (plus, I think I’m probably going to go to Disneyland at some point too).

I know that most think of me as incredibly cool and hip, but in reality I’m very nerdy. Since the age of five (I should note this is no exaggeration) I have estimated things like crowd sizes (not just in stadiums but in big park areas like Magic Kingdom) wait times, distances, etc. In elementary school I once used a AAA trip tick to demonstrate to a room full of adults how everyone over estimates the population of their hometown, city, state, province, country, county, etc. Anyway, I have timed thousands of wait times at Disney World over the years and compared it to the posted wait. Over the last three or four years Disney’s accuracy has declined and the vector is as @Princess Leia describes it. However, as Martin notes, they are still very accurate quite often. I’d say the posted wait is correct about 75 to 80% of the time right now. At least based on my most recent trips. There are many other factors that could cause my data to be an outlier…… there are certainly factors that make my family different from the norm (as there are with all of our families). I know that @lentesta has the most data on this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom