Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was pretty certain that one of the editors from The DIS posted something about this already regarding a permit. I think it was Charles Boda, but it was not on their discussion forums. It was an article he wrote where I believe he referenced a permit.

I found it. He is talking about the "5, 7 & Queue Installation" permit that is for MMRR. He mistakenly says it's for TSL.

I wish people would leave the permit reporting to the professionals. ;)

Rteetz

I was pretty certain that one of the editors from The DIS posted something about this already regarding a permit. I think it was Charles Boda, but it was not on their discussion forums. It was an article he wrote where I believe he referenced a permit.
I talked with Charles about this. That article referenced several locations the permit could be for not specifically toy story land. As @danlb_2000 posted that permit in the Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway thread as that’s the most likely thing that permit referenced as it was for scene and queue installation. Blog Mickey also wrote an article saying it was for Mickeys.

Notes from Neverland

Almost every area of the land except the attractions themselves is under review. They messed up big time. Now it’s time to mitigate it.

This is encouraging. Granted, it's a bummer the mistakes were made in the first place, but it's encouraging they aren't just content to sit back and let them be. Assuming this may assist the shade issue and the issues with the quick service?

flyerjab

Almost every area of the land except the attractions themselves is under review. They messed up big time. Now it’s time to mitigate it.

Not that this is anything out of the ordinary, especially for a new land, but I received one of the ever-popular Disney surveys regarding TSL after visiting. There were the usual general questions and questions about the rides. There were, however, numerous questions regarding the land itself, how it appears, what does the entrance look like, is there enough theming, how was the shade, the eating location seating area, etc. I pretty much let them know that the lack of shade absolutely sucks, and that you can tell where cost cutting with the theming occurred, as there are parts of this land that are fantastic, but then there are areas where you can tell that they skimped out.

Upgrades are always appreciated, especially for the right reasons. I love the rides in this land, especially since there are 3 in total. But the area itself could use a boost.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not that this is anything out of the ordinary, especially for a new land, but I received one of the ever-popular Disney surveys regarding TSL after visiting. There were the usual general questions and questions about the rides. There were, however, numerous questions regarding the land itself, how it appears, what does the entrance look like, is there enough theming, how was the shade, the eating location seating area, etc. I pretty much let them know that the lack of shade absolutely sucks, and that you can tell where cost cutting with the theming occurred, as there are parts of this land that are fantastic, but then there are areas where you can tell that they skimped out.

Upgrades are always appreciated, especially for the right reasons. I love the rides in this land, especially since there are 3 in total. But the area itself could use a boost.
I got the same email. It was refreshingly open.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
As I walked into TSL (for the first time), I was completely underwhelmed at it's entrance. I immediately thought how easy it would have been to recreate Andy's house to walk through, where props would have been made progressively bigger, until you got to the backyard. It would have made a far better presentation than what we got. Paths to each side of the house, as well as a route through a garage could increase throughput to the land. Just some armchair Imagineering.....

Marc Davis Fan

Wow, this is really telling. Can you say whether this change will actually include thematic additions/improvements, or will it only deal with “practical” issues like shade?

If they’re learning that they can’t get away with inadequate theming/immersion (e.g., that the public notices and cares), it should be a good sign for future projects...

Edit: Oh. (see Martin's reply to this post, directly below)

Last edited:

smile

As I walked into TSL (for the first time), I was completely underwhelmed at it's entrance. I immediately thought how easy it would have been to recreate Andy's house to walk through, where props would have been made progressively bigger, until you got to the backyard. It would have made a far better presentation than what we got. Paths to each side of the house, as well as a route through a garage could increase throughput to the land. Just some armchair Imagineering.....

a fundamental flaw repeated, indicative of the carelessness towards source inherent in the larger global invasion...
iirc, a bylaw of crass synergistic insertion stipulates for not only the complete disregard of certain theming principles, but the outright mocking of such as long as the perception of fun is achieved.

joe made it look a little easier than it is, huh?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We just returned from WDW last night.
Mike and I visited Toy Story Land four times.

First time - middle of the afternoon. We had a FP for A$$. (If memory serves, we hopped in TSM stand-by immediately afterward, just to get out of the blazing sun.) We wanted to eat at Woody’s. The queue to order was legit 40+ people deep; there were dozens of people carrying trays laden with food walking around in a daze, desperately looking for somewhere to sit.

Mike said, “This sucks, let’s go”. We ended up over at Pizzerizzo’s and had a perfectly fine pizza and meatball sub in the frigid A/C.

We popped in again just after sunset on another day to use our TSM FP’s and promptly left. While not blown away, we thought the area was nicer once the sun was down.

Zipped in around 5:00 on Friday just to do a face to face hello with a wdwmagic friend, and immediately left, soaked in sweat.

Went back after 8:00 that same evening to finally use our FP’s for SDD, and stand-by A$$. Totally different experience at night time. The crowds and temps are almost tolerable, and the night time ambience is charming.

Mike is of the opinion that we never need to go there again unless we have FP’s for SDD ... and only once the sun has set. 😂 What is overly plastic-looking and garish during the day is much prettier at night. We were very disappointed that we really couldn’t get near Woody’s Lunchbox, as there were a lot of things we wanted to try.

I know Mike and I are not the target demographic for this land, but I have to imagine it’s actually a 1000 times worse for their actual intended audience. I couldn’t fathom spending a couple of hours in this shade-less area with small children. We were overwhelmed by the crowds and direct sunlight. I can’t imagine how kids feel.

That being said - SDD is awesome. Really a great little coaster. And roomy! Hubby’s 6’ 8” frame fit no problem.

Is it their plan to “mitigate” before SW:GE opens?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We just returned from WDW last night.
Mike and I visited Toy Story Land four times.

First time - middle of the afternoon. We had a FP for A$$. (If memory serves, we hopped in TSM stand-by immediately afterward, just to get out of the blazing sun.) We wanted to eat at Woody’s. The queue to order was legit 40+ people deep; there were dozens of people carrying trays laden with food walking around in a daze, desperately looking for somewhere to sit.

Mike said, “This sucks, let’s go”. We ended up over at Pizzerizzo’s and had a perfectly fine pizza and meatball sub in the frigid A/C.

We popped in again just after sunset on another day to use our TSM FP’s and promptly left. While not blown away, we thought the area was nicer once the sun was down.

Zipped in around 5:00 on Friday just to do a face to face hello with a wdwmagic friend, and immediately left, soaked in sweat.

Went back after 8:00 that same evening to finally use our FP’s for SDD, and stand-by A$$. Totally different experience at night time. The crowds and temps are almost tolerable, and the night time ambience is charming.

Mike is of the opinion that we never need to go there again unless we have FP’s for SDD ... and only once the sun has set. 😂 What is overly plastic-looking and garish during the day is much prettier at night. We were very disappointed that we really couldn’t get near Woody’s Lunchbox, as there were a lot of things we wanted to try.

I know Mike and I are not the target demographic for this land, but I have to imagine it’s actually a 1000 times worse for their actual intended audience. I couldn’t fathom spending a couple of hours in this shade-less area with small children. We were overwhelmed by the crowds and direct sunlight. I can’t imagine how kids feel.

That being said - SDD is awesome. Really a great little coaster. And roomy! Hubby’s 6’ 8” frame fit no problem.

Is it their plan to “mitigate” before SW:GE opens?
We were there over the last few weeks too. Night time is definitely more manageable and looks better. Once Fant had begun the coaster was a 30 minute wait and A$$ was a walk on. We did the latter once with this no wait.

We rode Slinky twice during the day. 930am firstly and we suffered the whole standby line starting on the bridge. Never again. I wanted to experience just how bad it was and it was nowhere near noon. Nor late July. I confess next time we were back doored. Night time as I said we were in and out within half an hour.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

We wanted to eat at Woody’s. The queue to order was legit 40+ people deep; there were dozens of people carrying trays laden with food walking around in a daze, desperately looking for somewhere to sit.
We were very disappointed that we really couldn’t get near Woody’s Lunchbox, as there were a lot of things we wanted to try.
QUOTE]
I was incredibly disappointed with the Tatchos. I also went in the middle of the day so it was hot and uncomfortable but I did find a table to stand at. The helping I had was awful. The taters were so well done, a bunch were so hard they were inedible. The corn chips were OK but did get a little odd in the humidity. I could have done without the chili, and the toppings of sour cream and some kind of brown sauce, but the shredded cheese was nice and would have made a great topping for base if it had been good. I was very sad about that, I had read some great reviews and was looking to trying that. This ( I would think) can be fixed pretty easily and I hope to hear that this was simply a bad fluke. Marie

wannabeBelle

I did enjoy SDD immensely though. I was able to attend the Passholder Playtime event and it was outstanding. I was able to get on both rides multiple times. A$$ is a cute ride but isn't something I'd do over and over. SDD was just a blast. I rode it as often as I could before I started getting slightly dizzy!! Breakfast was after that, as the event started at 7am which is a tad early for me. Great job on the event and on SDD. Marie

sedati

By these descriptions Toy Story Land's exterior sounds like the unshaded furnace that is anywhere and everywhere outdoors in Future World, and Woody's Lunchbox seems akin to the entire Food and Wine experience of waiting in outdoor lines for food and then having nowhere to eat it.
I'm not trying to say these are acceptable issues, but that similar issues seem to be accepted elsewhere (in fact, isn't there a constant arguement about removing the little shade that they did add to Future World?)

mm52200

By these descriptions Toy Story Land's exterior sounds like the unshaded furnace that is anywhere and everywhere outdoors in Future World, and Woody's Lunchbox seems akin to the entire Food and Wine experience of waiting in outdoor lines for food and then having nowhere to eat it.
I'm not trying to say these are acceptable issues, but that similar issues seem to be accepted elsewhere (in fact, isn't there a constant arguement about removing the little shade that they did add to Future World?)
Except Future World you’re surrounded on all sides by giant indoor air conditioned buildings, many with open areas you stay and sit in for long periods of time.
That’s not a thing in Toy Story Land except for the TSM queue.
Same with Food and Wine...plenty of nearby shops or inside places you can pop in to catch some AC. Also a lot of the Food and Wine Food you can easily carry with you and eat as you walk, you’re not carrying an entire quick service entree around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom