Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By these descriptions Toy Story Land's exterior sounds like the unshaded furnace that is anywhere and everywhere outdoors in Future World, and Woody's Lunchbox seems akin to the entire Food and Wine experience of waiting in outdoor lines for food and then having nowhere to eat it.
I'm not trying to say these are acceptable issues, but that similar issues seem to be accepted elsewhere (in fact, isn't there a constant arguement about removing the little shade that they did add to Future World?)
The issue seems to concentrate more on the age of those who have to suffer the heat.

And of course that it’s a brand new facility in a time when covering lines is considered the norm and necessary.

Skibum1970

The issue seems to concentrate more on the age of those who have to suffer the heat.

And of course that it’s a brand new facility in a time when covering lines is considered the norm and necessary.

And they could have done so without massive rockwork needed. Lots of structures are in a backyard that could be used to add shade.

Edited For Content: Meant to say that they didn't need to do a ton of rockwork to create shade.

Last edited:

Minthorne

The heat is all part of the theme! Just move out of the magnifying glass beam!
AnguishedUnimportantAgama-small.gif

Jambo Joe

Almost every area of the land except the attractions themselves is under review. They messed up big time. Now it’s time to mitigate it.
That’s actually a very significant statement from Martin. Even weeding out the complainers on this board who pick at everything - the easily predicted flaws for TSL were obvious to even a casual student of the parks - lack of gift shop, lack of shade, lack of indoor quick service. Easily predicted and corrected with enough lead time.

tissandtully

That’s actually a very significant statement from Martin. Even weeding out the complainers on this board who pick at everything - the easily predicted flaws for TSL were obvious to even a casual student of the parks - lack of gift shop, lack of shade, lack of indoor quick service. Easily predicted and corrected with enough lead time.
There's also hardly anywhere to go when it rains buckets, which you know is a very regular thing in Central Florida. *facepalms*

tissandtully

I was able to do the Passholder Play Time on Sept. 14th and we really had a blast, it was the best preview I'd been to, right up there with Pandora. We were able to ride SDD 5 times in a row and went on A$$ two times. A$$ is already showing big signs of wear and tear on the flooring.

Rich Brownn

There's also hardly anywhere to go when it rains buckets, which you know is a very regular thing in Central Florida. *facepalms*
Its what happens when people in California work on designs. When WDW opened in 1971 the lines for Mansion, Presidents, CBJ were all outside (covers added later, and CBJ ended up being routed through two stipped gift shops). Even funnier, there was no roof on the teacups and the drainage in Fantasyland was dreadful (Carousel frequently was in 6-8 inches of water). By the time Pirates was built they had learned. Seems like they forgot again

ToTBellHop

Do we know how quickly these additions (shade structures, etc) will be implemented? A few weeks? Month? By end of the year?

I just don’t understand why an air conditioned gift shop and air conditioned M&G, plus a shaded structure with more seating for Woody’s, were not mandates from above?
The usual Disney pace. Expect a new shade weed in 2034.

Goofyernmost

Its what happens when people in California work on designs. When WDW opened in 1971 the lines for Mansion, Presidents, CBJ were all outside (covers added later, and CBJ ended up being routed through two stipped gift shops). Even funnier, there was no roof on the teacups and the drainage in Fantasyland was dreadful (Carousel frequently was in 6-8 inches of water). By the time Pirates was built they had learned. Seems like they forgot again
Even though it is a little fuzzy, you can see in this film about The Haunted Mansion (at 4:43) that when it opened in WDW it did not have a covered walkway. I don't know how long after the opening they added the cover for the queue, but, if the quality of the picture showing the skeleton of the cover is a clue, it was a little while after the opening. Perhaps when they figured out that standing in the sun was not good. HoP and CBJ were not really countable because they had an internal queue area, but, did have a covered western front for overflow. I couldn't find any picture of that, but, I am assuming it was built that way.

smile

:hilarious:

boom.

peter11435

Even though it is a little fuzzy, you can see in this film about The Haunted Mansion (at 4:43) that when it opened in WDW it did not have a covered walkway. I don't know how long after the opening they added the cover for the queue, but, if the quality of the picture showing the skeleton of the cover is a clue, it was a little while after the opening. Perhaps when they figured out that standing in the sun was not good. HoP and CBJ were not really countable because they had an internal queue area, but, did have a covered western front for overflow. I couldn't find any picture of that, but, I am assuming it was built that way.

Both the Hall of Presidents and Country Bears are countable because in the 1970’s demand for both exceeded the capacity of their theaters and lobby’s so both saw queues outside of their indoor preshow areas. In the case of CBJ they utilized the interiors of some frontierland shops as indoor queue. In the case of the Hall of presidents they built a covered queue after park opening (now the Liberty Square Market).

Goofyernmost

Both the Hall of Presidents and Country Bears are countable because in the 1970’s demand for both exceeded the capacity of their theaters and lobby’s so both saw queues outside of their indoor preshow areas. In the case of CBJ they utilized the interiors of some frontierland shops as indoor queue. In the case of the Hall of presidents they built a covered queue after park opening (now the Liberty Square Market).
However, they didn't have that set up until after it was seen that it was needed. That's what I was talking about. I think they should have cover, I don't argue that, just let's not get all sentimental about something that didn't happen. They opened with no shelter. Why they didn't learn from that is probably because they weren't there when that happened. Who knows. I wasn't there in the board room when those decisions were made, but, the early WDW was not without sin.

peter11435

However, they didn't have that set up until after it was seen that it was needed. That's what I was talking about. I think they should have cover, I don't argue that, just let's not get all sentimental about something that didn't happen. They opened with no shelter. Why they didn't learn from that is probably because they weren't there when that happened. Who knows. I wasn't there in the board room when those decisions were made, but, the early WDW was not without sin.
I think you are completly missing the point of this particular conversation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom