News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

Missing20K

A thought about the supposed "noise" design oversight. I wonder if there could have been a noise issue inside the restaurant, namely, that due to the projection screens, lots of heat will be created and thus needing mitigation, "loud" liquid cooling or mechanical cooling equipment will be required. Still not sure how that would have been overlooked though. Still seems like a slow news day or maybe one imagineer had one conversation about it and it became gospel.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

E3EB3C73-DF80-4224-9372-47A6496393DD.jpeg

Lensman

Rather than including too much IP, I'd prefer them to use more intriguing and inspirational/aspirational images from past, current, and future planetary space missions and stations.

They could rotate through the sun:
sun.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Jupter:
juno.jpg

Saturn:
3098_cassini20170809-16.jpg

etc. It could be a real differentiator and bring Epcot a small step back from the brink of IP washout of the original inspirational theme.

Maybe the restaurant could even get a corporate sponsor?
999159601-580x358.jpg

Lensman

And I think I mentioned before that it would be great if the waiting area could have launch pictures and videos. Here's the Parker Solar Probe launching a couple of weeks ago atop a Delta IV Heavy. I wouldn't mind the wait for the table if I could watch launch videos on a big screen the whole time.
43944919712_90414a9490_k.jpg

I wonder what the menu will be like? I hope they won't have any of that freeze dried stuff. :) I'm sure there will be many space puns in the menu item names.

FigmentFan82

Jim and @lentesta discussed this on their latest show. Jim said due to noise bleed from Test Track this will actually go on the Wonders of Life side.
Just had a fun thought regarding potential noise bleed from Test Track, forgive me if someone already came up with this...

I think we all know pretty well the sound that the Test Track cars make as the careen around the exterior part of the track, that large swelling whooshing sound. We also know that the Space Restaurant will have only screens and no real windows, as to increase the level of immersion. If Test Track noise does actually bleed thru into the Space Restaurant, would it be possible to somewhat time it to a visual of a space ship zooming by on the screens? That would probably be too hard to sync consistently, but the thought came to my head and thought it was a neat way to incorporate the noise if it turns out they can't completely muffle it inside the restaurant.

Slov72

Just had a fun thought regarding potential noise bleed from Test Track, forgive me if someone already came up with this...

I think we all know pretty well the sound that the Test Track cars make as the careen around the exterior part of the track, that large swelling whooshing sound. We also know that the Space Restaurant will have only screens and no real windows, as to increase the level of immersion. If Test Track noise does actually bleed thru into the Space Restaurant, would it be possible to somewhat time it to a visual of a space ship zooming by on the screens? That would probably be too hard to sync consistently, but the thought came to my head and thought it was a neat way to incorporate the noise if it turns out they can't completely muffle it inside the restaurant.
There is no sound in space.

FigmentFan82

There is no sound in space.
Except in every instance of TV and films (and don't be a turd and be like "well in the movie Gravity they show no sound in space" I'm well aware of the whole no sound in space thing) I would bet money that if there are spaceships or satellites that appear on the screens in the restaurant, that they will also have sound effects as well

lazyboy97o

The simpler solution would be to just have the architect design a proper exterior envelope.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Noise won't be an issue.

I've stood outside of TT and when the swoosh of a car went by, I never thought how loud it was -- and I'm generally annoyed by load noises.

And speaking of loud noises, I complain a lot about how loud so many of the WDW are since they try to pack so many tables into giant rooms. This means the ambient noise of this restaurant -- that's likely to be always filled -- is going to have it's own 'white noise' that will drown out anything TT can throw at it.

Mike730

If noise were an issue, certainly it would be easy to create a noice cancelling solution. Mics outside pick up the TT noise, alters the sounds a bit and runs it through the internal sound system. That would allow them to tweak and fine tune the parameters to make the TT sounds disappear.
I don’t mean to get pedantic but it’s quite a bit more complicated than that. Not to mention that no active noise cancellation system comes economically close to proper damping and decoupling at these noise levels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom